I'm going to die if I don't find a monitor soon!

Associate
Yep... it's called... die of head exploding from looking for 2 and half months at monitors yet getting 2 crappy ones and sending them back only to be left with nothing. That's actually the name of the illness I am currently suffering with. :(

Basically. I play games, quite regular. I don't buy tons of games but I like to play my current games longer, so based on the fact that I don't buy 20 games a month, doesn't mean I can put up with OK-ish quality. I have a good eye, an I notice things easily. Likewise, I watch blu-rays on my PS3, and I also play games on my PC. This is cause for problems, as I need a good all rounder but can't afford to spend more than £210 - not only that of course but £210 will only end up buying you the worst quality chinese tv tech imagineable.

A few weeks back I got a Samsung Syncmaster XL2370HD (one of the same, two naff-o monitors, because they turn themselves on when they feel). It fit my criteria nicely. It had great imagery. Good response. No ghosting. Great colour reproduction. Practically no input lag and speakers... which meant the PS3 could have the internal good quality speakers (bass distortion on GT5 at level Vol. 21+ tho), whilst the PC could have the Logitech X-230s. Sadly, the screen turned itself on multiple times throughout the night trying to connect to DVI - when my PC was off. In the end, I had to unplug the monitor just to get sleep. I asked Samsung about it and they said it was a fault so I contacted the buyer and had it sent back. I had a replacement shipped (same TV/Monitor), an this one, though having more responsive touch panel buttons, suffered the same problem - not to mention the slightest tap on the desk resulted in about 10 seconds of nasty plasticy squeaking.

It really is a shame that that monitor ended up that way, an I find it hard to believe that 2 monitors, with different serial numbers (though shipped in the same box, quite odd), would come to me with identical issues, with Samsung's lousey non-English speaking support claiming they were faults. I think their quality has slipped. My current Samsung Syncmaster 2032MW 1680x1050 which I am using now is about 4 years old and is still going well, but is a problem because it suffers with some input lag, doesn't have 1080p and is rather dim and colour inaccurate. Not suitable for my all round, gaming - movie - web surfing needs. It performs dreadfully on Black Ops for PS3.

Each time I search the nets/reviews/comparisons, I keep ending up with the XL2370HD sitting in front of me. It's like... "THIS SCREEN IS THE BEST OUT OF EVERYTHING, FOR WHAT YOU NEED", but it appears to me that the squeaky base and magical voodoo screen which turns itself on, are going to be a problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a 22"-27" screen with decent (3W+ internal speakers, no distortion preferably), with 1xDVI and 1xHDMI at minimum, with good colour reproduction, good image quality, no ghosting, pretty much no input lag? LOL... sounds laughable doesn't it? Maybe the XL2370HD is the best? Seems like I'm asking a lot for my money, which is undoubtedly true.

I'm not at all pleased at these manufacturers for side-stepping those who need a one screen solution for multiple things. I'm in a medium sized room, an having a 20" monitor and 32" tv side by side, is completely absurd due to heat production. Take into account my room is where the afternoon/evening sun shines an that no air flow ever about 95% of the year blows in through my window. Regardless of whichever doors or windows are open, heat never escapes. CCFL doesn't help either. Unless of course anyone has the knowledge or can steal me a 32" TV with good colour, response, no ghosting, no input lag, good speakers etc, then otherwise I'm screwed right?

Black Ops looks so awful on PS3 with my 2032MW. Upscaling on this monitor is so bad it makes you vomit uncontrolably. The black are... not black... unless you turn the brightness down more, so everything is uncomfortable and dim.

HELP! Seriouesly. I've been talking in this thread : http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18248437 - with PCM2 for ages and I'm getting no where.

Should I just put up with the XL2370HD? Buttons don't work, wakes me up in the middle of the night? Has speaker distortion on GT5 at any volume level above 20?

Yes/No?

I'm being totally serious by the way.

Thanks for any help.

Peace

Associate
OP
Not really. I just think it's quite daft that all these guys working for these big companies seem to think that nobody on earth requires one screen for two things. It's logical, it's simple, it's convenient. If I got a big ass TV it'll just sit there, wasted, unless I play the PS3 for a few hours.

If Samsung can offer something like that, where is the competition?

It seems that with time, prices never actually drop, yet the same old tech is still full blown over expensive. Hello TN panel from 1990! Okay, maybe not so much with better colour depth and response and that, but do you see what I mean? What's the harm in adding a good TN panel, some decent speakers and an extra input?

Why the hell should that cost more than £200? I think unless someone is a hardcore gamer, or a professional, then it isn't worth spending more than £200. Partly the reason these muppets get away with such ludicrous prices, is because people think "OHHH pro panel! £1000? OH damn, gotta get me one of those"!

I suppose I am actually the only person on this planet out of billions of people, who require one screen for the PS3 and PC? Lawl. Hilarious.

Business 1 - 0 Me

Soldato
i bought a 25" hanns G monitor and have it connected to a HDMI switcher from neet which means i can connect up to four devices and it will detect the input and auto-select the cable :)

(the hdmi switcher was £25 :) )

Associate
OP
So very... helpful... :mad:

Model Number? Ghosting? Input Lag? Colour Reproduction? Speaker? Speaker Wattage? Technology? Button type? Stand? Ergonimics? Screen Coat? Bezel Finish? Price? Input types? Input quantity? Backlight bleed? Panel tech? CCFL, W-LED, Colour Gamut, Viewing Angles? Response Time?

Well put, but I've seen 100s of monitors, an there are many 1 HDMI type monitors, an I've seen those switches before. Don't leave me hanging with empty info mate.

Thanks anyway.

Associate
I'm not at all pleased at these manufacturers for side-stepping those who need a one screen solution for multiple things. I'm in a medium sized room, an having a 20" monitor and 32" tv side by side, is completely absurd due to heat production. Take into account my room is where the afternoon/evening sun shines an that no air flow ever about 95% of the year blows in through my window. Regardless of whichever doors or windows are open, heat never escapes. CCFL doesn't help either. Unless of course anyone has the knowledge or can steal me a 32" TV with good colour, response, no ghosting, no input lag, good speakers etc, then otherwise I'm screwed right?
Personally I don't think a "one screen solution for multiple things" will ever be completely ideal, as a TV and a PC monitor are optimised for different usage - at best you'll get a unit which is good at one thing and passable at the other (probably stating the obvious).

That said, have you considered the LG 32LD450 (a 32" 1080p TV)? There's a long thread at AVS Forum with stacks of info if you're interested - to cut a long story short, it has certain features which make it unusually well-suited for PC monitor usage.

If your budget has an absolute hard limit of £210 then it's not an option, but it's available for £240-ish at the moment if you shop around. :)

Soldato
Hi there,

Considering your budget and uses I would suggest this monitor and hook this set of speakers to the 3.5mm stereo audio output to play the sound from HDMI sources. As an alternative to a new set of speakers, buy a HDMI switch and hook both the PC and PS3 up to the switch, the switch up to the monitor HDMI port and the existing speakers to the monitor.

If you want IPS quality, then a Dell U2311H is a great all-round screen. Hook the PS3up to it using a cheap HDMI to DVI adapter and hook your PC up via the displayport connection. If your PC doesn't have a displayport output, then add a HDMI switch in. This time with the speakers hook them up directly to the PS3 (the AV out connection can be used with a phono (RCA)to 3.5mm stereo adapter). This option will cost a bit more than £210.

Associate
OP
A 32inch TV? I'm sitting a approx 1 meter from my 20" Samsung Syncmaster 2032MW. To note, my PC is DVI. My PS3 is HDMI and I already have a set of Logitech X-230 Speakers. Playstation 3 has multi-output options, which is smart, so I can use HDMI for video and Multi-AV (Red, White Audio) for for sound. I don't fancy 4 speakers and 2 mini-subs. But thank you for your help.

I've seen the U2311H multiple times. The major problem is that with it being strictly a PC monitor, there is no HDMI. One of my major concerns is these PC screens, may well do a horrid job of scaling. I wouldn't want to see any black bars on antyhing, whether it be 720p/1080i games on PS3, or a standard DVD for that matter.

I'm stumped. I given the fact my desk is 29" in width, I thinka 32" will leave me with no room for my actual PC Speakers. When will this scenario end?

Looks like I'll have to force my way through reading that endless thread of details, though I am very grateful for the help given, whenever I look for monitors now I go round in circles or stumble upon another problem an I can actually feel the irritable rage eating away at me form the inside. To get an idea of this, I'm actually a very well mannered, chilled out type with a fair amount of patience. From doing the same thing over and over and over for months, it's very annoying.

I'll read some of that thread then. I have to be up in 4 hours... yay! I know I'm going to very angry in the morning. Who'd of thought Samsung's Evil XL2370HD, continues to punish me? Hmm?

Unreal.

Thanks

Caporegime
So very... helpful... :mad:

Model Number? Ghosting? Input Lag? Colour Reproduction? Speaker? Speaker Wattage? Technology? Button type? Stand? Ergonimics? Screen Coat? Bezel Finish? Price? Input types? Input quantity? Backlight bleed? Panel tech? CCFL, W-LED, Colour Gamut, Viewing Angles? Response Time?

Well put, but I've seen 100s of monitors, an there are many 1 HDMI type monitors, an I've seen those switches before. Don't leave me hanging with empty info mate.

Thanks anyway.

Don't want much do you.

I suggest you calm down a bit.

People are only trying to help.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've seen the U2311H multiple times. The major problem is that with it being strictly a PC monitor, there is no HDMI. One of my major concerns is these PC screens, may well do a horrid job of scaling. I wouldn't want to see any black bars on antyhing, whether it be 720p/1080i games on PS3, or a standard DVD for that matter.

As I mentioned - that HDMI to DVI adapter I linked to will turn the DVI port into a HDMI port (same video signal, no image quality loss- you just lose the sound). I have used these on multiple DVI 1080p monitors using HDMI sources and not had any issues. If you need two HDMI inputs - then that £20 HDMI switch will work fine, just plug the PC and PS3 into the inputs and the output into the HDMI to DVI adapter.

As for scaling issues - so long as you set the PS3 to output 1080p then the scaling hardware on the PS3 will do a pretty good job of making games not rendered at 1080p look good and DVDs look OK. If you want better scaling on the display side then you are basically looking for a TV and TVs don't use high-quality IPS and VA panels at this size (you need to step up to 32in).

Associate
mostly moaning
Well, clearly I wouldn't want you to go to an inordinate amount of trouble on your own behalf, but the AVS forum thread has a quick summary of the main details, which you should be able to just skim through without compromising on your beauty sleep.

Perhaps rather than spend too much time reading, you could just order the TV, see how it works for you in practice, and send it back if if things don't pan out - the distance selling regs make this a very easy thing to do.

Oh, and you're very welcome. :)

Caporegime
I'm sure the OP will be in a much better mood after 4 hours sleep but I'm staying out of recommending anything.

I think we're in a lose, lose situation here.

Associate
OP
I agree. I am perhaps looking too much into it, but that's only because I do not want, nor can afford to keep switching monitors every year or two. I like to have things which last. It's the main reason why I don't buy things like laptops :D. I can assure you, I am calm, lol, don't let my over-exaggerated post fool you.

I am fully aware of the HDMI > DVI adapters.

Regarding the TV. Perhaps this is a good idea? Please take note that most of the time spent is actually desktop wise. Web surfing. Same page, sort of stuff. Games follow, quite regularly played, I might add, with movies following behind. Input lag is very important. The 2032MW didn't have any noticable input lag issues until I played Black Ops, where is made is horribly uncomfortable to play. I knew it was the 2032MW because the XL2370HD played it smoothly, at the low FPS the PS3 plays that game.

My concern is panel lottery? A fair chance I can end up with a bad panel? Statis headphone port? :| Bad badlight bleed?

Bah. I'll just order that then. Just hope that these big ass TVs being viewed from 1 meter away (yes 1 meter), is not going to cause me major problems (eye/neck), an that small text is not going to be a problem. (120dpi text on Windows 7 :). I notice GUI is somewhat small on 1680x1050 and 1920x1080, but 32"? even smaller?

We have TWO LG's in the house. LD300 something. Good TV's. I like LG stuff. I've lost faith in Samsung though.

Yes £200 is a short sum, but I have other stuff I want to get my hands on an very little money to do so, remember I need this to last me quite a few years, an I'd like those years to be full of decent performance and not distracting issues. I apologise that by covering the basis as evenly as possible, with decency in all areas, that I was asking too much.

Note: I have a 1GB 4870

Peace

Last edited:
Associate
OP
According to the specs, I'll have a HDMI input plugged in the back via DVI to HDMI adapter, an then the PS3 will have the input sticking out of the side, due to it being a side input. Used as a PC monitor as well it won't be stuck to the wall, so I will in fact be 1 meter from the screen. Just letting you know. :)

Sorry to those who I have ****ed off. Unfortunately I am not made of money, an those things I do pay for I expect decent quality, not monitors or tvs which turn themselves on during the middle of the night, or blurry text.

Peace - o

Permabanned
I too am in your situation, im currently sat with a 32" Sony Bravia infront of me and im looking to swap for a multi (2 or 3) monitor setup, however after looking into a lot of monitors they seem to have a lot of issues with bleeding, now i sit right next to my TV and i have honestly never noticed any bleeding, whether its just me getting used to it over time i dont know but i definatly dont notice it.

I havent used a traditional monitor for quite some time now so maybe im just used to this and it might be tonnes better.

Iv never noticed any lagg issues with it either, however i just dont like 32" being right infront of me, i have no ability to move it back any further as im living in an apartment were i cant touch any furnishings.
So i now ponder whether to get a multi monitor setup or stay with the TV.

Associate
Bah. I'll just order that then. Just hope that these big ass TVs being viewed from 1 meter away (yes 1 meter), is not going to cause me major problems (eye/neck), an that small text is not going to be a problem. (120dpi text on Windows 7 :). I notice GUI is somewhat small on 1680x1050 and 1920x1080, but 32"? even smaller?
A 1080p TV has a native resolution of 1920x1080px, so I'm not sure what you mean by "32"? even smaller?". In fact, if you normally run regular-sized monitors at 120dpi, you may find that the large pixel pitch on a 32" 1080p TV will allow you to drop back down to 96dpi, which will give you more desktop space, not less.

As for the viewing distance of 1m, that should be fine for a 32" 1080p TV/monitor, although it depends entirely on your own eyesight and preferences of course.

Soldato
Samsung P2450 is about as good as it get's in that price range, you will never get your perfect screen you long for, you always have to have a compromise of some sort, especially if you have a budget

Associate
OP
A 1080p TV has a native resolution of 1920x1080px, so I'm not sure what you mean by "32"? even smaller?". In fact, if you normally run regular-sized monitors at 120dpi, you may find that the large pixel pitch on a 32" 1080p TV will allow you to drop back down to 96dpi, which will give you more desktop space, not less.

As for the viewing distance of 1m, that should be fine for a 32" 1080p TV/monitor, although it depends entirely on your own eyesight and preferences of course.

What I meant was DPI wise. GUis in some games are effected by large resolutions. Whilst I understand that 1080p, is simply 1080p, the larger screen won't necessarily mean a bigger GUI. I'm not 100% sure anyway.

I know I wouldn't end up with less desktop space though. :)

I'm know not to expect a lot for my money, sure I can make my budget stretch to 250, tops, but when it comes to things like backlight bleed, on that Avs page, it said BAD backlight bleed. This 2032Mw, has backlight bleed, an that's fine, it's not disastrous, an although black levels are sucky, if the black levels are the same as the 2032MW then that 32" is no good.

I really do apprecaite everyone pitchin in an helping me out, an I understand that I have to make some sacrifices. Really I'd rather just having a good already, not an excellent, here there and everywhere. I was just trying to cover all basis.

I did consider a TV before as a PC monitor, but I'm unsure if there are any downsides in doing so? Although the wattage is obviously higher (double ish), after seeing such a difference in the speaker wattage for a TV, I'd be more inclinced to get one. This way, I'd get good audio from the TV, good audio from my PC, an hopefully good image quality for both. If it comes down to it.

£250, max budget.

Back
Top Bottom