iMacs get a spec update

Soldato
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/19/18271657/apple-imac-update-intel-processor-amd-gpu

Apple has finally refreshed its regular iMac desktops, offering new processors and graphics chips for the 21.5-inch and 27-inch models.

The 21.5-inch iMac now features either an 8th Gen quad-core i3 or six-core i5 processor and either a Radeon Pro 555X GPU or a Radeon Pro 560X by default. But customers who want more power can configure a custom model with up to a six-core i7 processor, 32GB of RAM, and AMD’s Radeon Pro Vega 20 GPU (with 4GB of memory). It’s similar spec options to what Apple already has on the refreshed Mac Mini — just with a 4K display built-in.

The 27-inch iMac can gets Intel’s six core i5 processor to start across the board — 8th Gen on the two lower configurations, and 9th Gen on the highest, $2,299 prebuilt option, although Apple is also offering upgrades to Intel’s latest 9th Gen, eight-core i9 processor processors (for a price.) Graphics on the 27-inch models are Radeon Pro 570X, 575X, and 580X GPUs for prebuilt models, although AMD’s Radeon Pro Vega 48 GPU (with 8GB of memory) is available as custom option for the highest configuration.

I wonder if the macbooks will get a quiet update as well or will there be a bigger announcement later in the year? I'm torn this year, part of me wouldn't mind a 2019 macbook but part of me also wants a razer blade stealth (to wipe and install KDE Neon on).

Soldato
Agreed the front of the design is looking very old now, I still like the industrial design, but definitely needs a major decrease on the bezels, I don't know if it's possible to keep it so slimline with a small bezel but it would be good to see what they can bring to the AIO space going forward. I love the look of Microsofts Surface Hub, something similar to that for Apple would be fantastic I reckon. But I haven't actually used a surface hub so maybe it's garbage I don't know.

Soldato
Spec bumps are nice but the iMac really needs a redesign, the bezels are huge.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm with you on this.

I think the current design is close to 6-7yrs old now and while it's a great design, it's beginning to show its age. I hope that this is the last spec bump for this current design.

Soldato
This is well overdue. My boss wants to replace all my team's iMacs and I've been begging him not to buy the current model with the 7700K because it's barely better than the 6700Ks we already have. Nearly ended up recommending Mac Minis...

The design is also due for an overhaul but I don't know if we will see it. Apple just doesn't seem bothered about changing the design. Maybe we will see something new when the new 'Pro' Mac releases...

Soldato
Wonder if it will be as unserviceable and thermally constrained as their other recent designs?

I've actually been looking at our iMac and MacBook fleet lately and there is very little reason for us to upgrade. Certainly not if it means losing "legacy" ports :p

Man of Honour
I love the look of Microsofts Surface Hub, something similar to that for Apple would be fantastic I reckon. But I haven't actually used a surface hub so maybe it's garbage I don't know.

Linus Tech Tips does a good review of them, he says they're great but under-powered and you can't upgrade them. He sums it up saying that perhaps the only people they're great for are graphics designers/artists as nothing comes close to the touch screen element.

Wonder if it will be as unserviceable and thermally constrained as their other recent designs?

I'd imagine making the PSU external would improve thermals somewhat, although I don't see Apple doing this as it'll mess with the aesthetics.

Soldato
Linus Tech Tips does a good review of them, he says they're great but under-powered and you can't upgrade them. He sums it up saying that perhaps the only people they're great for are graphics designers/artists as nothing comes close to the touch screen element.

Seems to be standard practice for the majority of OEMs/Hardware Providers these days. I have little to no interest in upgrading stuff myself these days so it doesn’t personally bother me, I just wish Apple were forced to price their upgrades better haha. I basically want a huge 27” iPad Pro with a 4K Screen, an i7 and 16GB RAM etc with the fantastic display etc.

Soldato
I've a couple of the i9 8 cores coming. Be interesting to see how they compare with the iMac Pro units we've been using. Will do a run through when received.

Soldato
The Surface Hub units - as in the big screen things used for meeting rooms and the like - are probably my fave device Microsoft has issued in ages! We can't currently buy them however as they're being refreshed for the SH2.

As a massive touch screen with video/whiteboarding etc they're fantastic devices.

Unless you meant the Surface Studio units?

Soldato
Spec bumps are nice but the iMac really needs a redesign, the bezels are huge.

With you on that as well, I have a late 2013 iMac, but it's fine at present, I will likely update when its no longer supported with newer OSX updates, hopefully by that time we will have a redesign, the bezel will undoubtably be thinner if they do.

Soldato
Do the bezels really bother people that much or is it just that you know they can do them without the bezels now...?

I've now noticed the size of the bezels on my imac Pro, and with the 5k screen next to it it's now bugging me! Thanks for that :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Late last year I was torn between building a custom PC or waiting for this spec bumped iMac. In the end I decided to build a custom PC in Feb. I have to say I think it was the great decision. Windows really isn't an issue these days, it gets out of the way very well. If I'm using Adobe Lightroom, Office or a browser the experience is the same between mac and windows, office is actually better IMO. I have a 27" 4K LG screen using Windows scaling and text/UI look very crisp, it was the one concern I had when using Windows, no access to those lovely 5k retina screens. So for £2,000 I got a superior machine - 9700K overclocked to 5Ghz, plenty of SSD storage, an RTX GPU, small ITX form factor, excellent cooling and high quality components e.g. Noctua fans, Asrock Mobo, Corsair platinium PSU. If I decide at some point I need to change or upgrade something it's very simple, same if something breaks down the road out of warranty.

Soldato
I'm very curious to see how these i9's perform. Pretty reasonable budget iMac Pro isn't it? The iMac Pro I use is by far the best piece of kit I've ever used. Astonishingly capable. Mine always has a Windows 10 session running in Parallels, and it performs better and more fluidly than my Surface Book 2 for example, it's brilliant.

Unlike my older i7 unit I can also carry on using the machine - including Windows - when it's rendering/exporting 4k video from FCPX. Weird thing is it doesn't feel much slower while it's doing it either.

Soldato
The bezels don't bother me that much, and I love the overall design, it is just that clearly things have moved on in the past 5 years and it could be so much better now.

There's no getting away from the longevity of these things though. I have a late 2014 5k iMac with a 2gb SSD, and the thing just flies. I'd really just like to upgrade for an improved screen and design, and some more CPU grunt. Sadly I don't think there's any intention of updating the current design for quite some time - it doesn't appear to be on any rumoured roadmaps.

Man of Honour
My wife's 2009 C2D iMac is still OK for basic duties. It looks great too. Considering the age it doesn't look old at all. But I do think it's time to reduce those bezels.

Commissario
I don’t care about the bezel. I’m looking at the screen, not the bezel. For me, the design works perfectly, exactly as it did when I bought my first iMac in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom