iMacs get a spec update

Soldato
It's also a shame apple fell out with nvidia - AMD Vega isn't to bad - and plenty for non gaming GPU work loads, its just a shame AMD are not up there graphics wise, especially given what apple charges id want the greatest of everything for the money.

Permabanned
Thats why I went for a 6-core MacBook Pro and 32" LG. Cant stand the iMac bezels anymore.

IMG-3649.jpg

Soldato
Thats why I went for a 6-core MacBook Pro and 32" LG. Cant stand the iMac bezels anymore.

Nice! Is that your daily driver computer? I take it you don't game ? - I am pondering going to similar, but I currently have a 2016 MBP and its pretty good for the specs - but id need to go to a top end MBP for my photo/video business - saying that i do love final cut pro over premier and that always runs good on macs of course - LR on my 2016 MBP is OK - but its far slower than my ryzen desktop pc - i wonder if the latest MBP with a vega chip and 6 core would run better?

The only thing is, it might be worth waiting on the new version and them sorting the thermals out on them.

Permabanned
Nice! Is that your daily driver computer? I take it you don't game ? - I am pondering going to similar, but I currently have a 2016 MBP and its pretty good for the specs - but id need to go to a top end MBP for my photo/video business - saying that i do love final cut pro over premier and that always runs good on macs of course - LR on my 2016 MBP is OK - but its far slower than my ryzen desktop pc - i wonder if the latest MBP with a vega chip and 6 core would run better?

The only thing is, it might be worth waiting on the new version and them sorting the thermals out on them.

Yes it’s my daily driver, get best of both worlds with the one cable solution. Easily unhook and take the laptop with me and then dock. Got the space grey Apple keyboard and mouse as well. Good thing is when it’s hooked to the monitor it always runs the discrete graphics chip so always full power.

I use a PS4 Pro for gaming.

Associate
I went for the mini also. This is my new set up

I was moving from a Windows two monitor set up and wanted to do the same albeit with upgraded monitors. This has 2 x 28" Samsung 4 k monitors.

The cost for this set up (including peripherals) was £2,113.00 .The same spec Imac set up would have been £1968.00. So I gain a monitor but lose a GPU.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I went for the mini also. This is my new set up

I was moving from a Windows two monitor set up and wanted to do the same albeit with upgraded monitors. This has 2 x 28" Samsung 4 k monitors.

The cost for this set up (including peripherals) was £2,113.00 .The same spec Imac set up would have been £1968.00. So I gain a monitor but lose a GPU.

28” 4K monitor isn’t comparable to the 27” 5k iMac screen in terms of quality and DPI. The LG 27” 5K is £1200.

Man of Honour

Similar setup to me although I use a Henge Dock and my MacBook Pro is a 2017 dual core 13". Also the monitor is a 4k LG 27" one which lines up perfectly with my PC ultrawide monitor.

I want a 6 core MacBook pro, but I think I'm going to see if there's an update coming within a few months.

Soldato
Exactly, I'm struggling to understand why it's suddenly become a thing.

Apple has always appealed on the levels of design and functionality. You pay a price premium to have both. Design has moved on significantly in electronics and people no longer want to look at bezels (same with mobile phones).

If Apple fall behind in design they’re competing in the much more crowded market of products that are functionally excellent yet don’t look as good.

Back
Top Bottom