Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Two £1 notes (surprising what you buy off eBay during lock down!)

Fun fact: The Royal Bank of Scotland £1 note is still current currency and valid, if anywhere will accept it that is! :)

1587554994.jpg

Everywhere in Scotland accepts them. Only place you will have trouble is in England where sometimes they have mistaken them for fivers and give you £4 more in change than they should have because english gonna english.

I've seen, held and owned literally thousands of these. Nothing special up here

rsz_1img_20200421_094810.jpg

Brainwavz pads and a wardmodcable custom cable (thanks @mrk) for my Hifiman He400i. Headband was replaced last year under warranty with that from the Sundara. Broadly a completely custom set of cans now.

Last edited:
Nah its just that you do need a seperate amp for these. You won't be able to drive these off on board sound or a phone / tablet. They will sound flat and low in volume.

With more power from a seperate amp they open up and the volume gets to levels where you can hear all the details and opens up the sound.

You got a bargain. Like I said they used to cost £300 I'm amazed they are only £100 as they are the best competitive gaming headphones you can buy. I would rank them in my top 3 along side hd700 which cost around £600 and whatever replaced the sennheisers 5 series which used to 555,558,595 and 598. I think they are now 599 and 559 possibly.

Audeze is new on the market and very expensive and closed for their gaming option so gets a mention but too early to rate it yet.

So for competive gaming it doesn't get any better.

If you feel bass is lacking you can do the bass port mod. A quick Google or YouTube search will help you with that it's so easy a 12 year old could do it. So if you like your bass look into that.

HD 800s are supposed to have a wider soundstage, they are slightly mroe expensive though! I bet they would be an upgrade over the 702s (upgrade over most headphones)

Is the Fiio E10K with its 8.8dB max gain setting enough for the K702s? I have my DAC set on +12dB (+3.52V) but there is a +18dB setting (+7.03V)

Everywhere in Scotland accepts them. Only place you will have trouble is in England where sometimes they have mistaken them for fivers and give you £4 more in change than they should have because english gonna english.

I've seen, held and owned literally thousands of these. Nothing special up here

That's good to know but I've never been given one in change all the times I've been north of the border.

And even just below the border here in Northumberland, a lot of places still have an allergic reaction to Scottish notes apart from the chain places. Must be even worse down south. :)

HD 800s are supposed to have a wider soundstage, they are slightly mroe expensive though! I bet they would be an upgrade over the 702s (upgrade over most headphones)

Is the Fiio E10K with its 8.8dB max gain setting enough for the K702s? I have my DAC set on +12dB (+3.52V) but there is a +18dB setting (+7.03V)

There is maybe 0.001% of the population that would spend £1300 on a pair of headphones. And to say they are an upgrade over the K702 sort of proves my point. You need to spend 13 times as much to get a slight upgrade as the K702 are that good.

That's good to know but I've never been given one in change all the times I've been north of the border.

And even just below the border here in Northumberland, a lot of places still have an allergic reaction to Scottish notes apart from the chain places. Must be even worse down south. :)

My grandad collects them wherever he can. It's a bit like the 1 dollar note in america where you can make it rain money with £20. He puts them in charity tins, etc so that other people look at him and think wow he's generous as he's putting a note in the tin rather than 2p. Old people for you.

I would say slightly certainly higher than 0.001%, more like 0.01%. The flagship Sennheiser headphones are something like 55k and there are quite a few others in the £1000 - £5000 bracket

Im sure my grandad spent what would be around £1500 today on headphones in the 80s / early 90s...

I certainly wouldnt consider spending 10x what the 702s cost unless I am proven wrong and xyz headphone sounds incredible

Last edited:
I would say slightly certainly higher than 0.001%, more like 0.01%. The flagship Sennheiser headphones are something like 55k and there are quite a few others in the £1000 - £5000 bracket

Im sure my grandad spent what would be around £1500 today on headphones in the 80s / early 90s...

I certainly wouldnt consider spending 10x what the 702s cost unless I am proven wrong and xyz headphone sounds incredible

especially as we get older and our hearing gets worse...

Is there a better headphones? Yeah but not for competitive gaming or soundstage.

Neither is there a better headphones available for less than 3 times the price you would need to buy along the likes of audeze planar magnetics or hd800.

With headphones usage is extremely important.

If 5 different people with the same budget walked into a shop and they all used their headphones for different things and in different environments they would all walk away with a different headphone which would be the best for them.

Samsung bought out Harmon kardon which owned AKG.

The K702 are still fine. If anything Harmon kardon has improved since the deal as Samsung soundbars are now top tier along side yamaha's.

Sure they introduced cheaper lines but you don't expect a £120 phone to be as good as a £1200 phone.
Cheers, I’ve ordered some K702 headphones, I’ve got the sound blaster AE-5, any need to invest in a separate amp? Other than maybe accessibility because I sit around 6ft from my computer tower.

Cheers, I’ve ordered some K702 headphones, I’ve got the sound blaster AE-5, any need to invest in a separate amp? Other than maybe accessibility because I sit around 6ft from my computer tower.

You'd be double amping if you did that.

That is fine the cables that come with the AKG are very long and your amp on that is fine

How much are these going for these days?

I love mine, they block out everything.

I live in Straya, so prices are not like for like. I just happened to be able to return an old pair of headphones, for which I got back the full price I paid for them back in the day, and only paid the delta for the upgrade (to answer your question directly, you can get them for around 390AUD)

Back
Top Bottom