Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

What the hell have you got on standby that, by turning it off at the wall, saves you nearly £8/month?

I don't disbelieve you given you must have looked into it to get an accurate figure but just curious

Curious as-well what you have plugged in that costs almost £8 a month on standby? your router/virgin media box won't be using much at all.

I'm intrigued by what is plugged in that's pulling best part of 55 Watts on standby!
55w x 17hrs = 935w per day
935w x 365 = 341275w annually
341275w / 12 = 28440w monthly
28440w / 1000 = 28.4 kWh monthly
28.4 kWh x 28p = £7.96
Scary how quickly an "only" 55w appliance/draw can suck up the cash!

I've just checked now and it bounces around about 52.4w and 55w but it's basically everything in my TV cupboard which is:

Virgin media router / access hub
Tp-link deco mesh master box
Asus rog gaming router (got this due to the WiFi being crap but then realised I should have got the deco system!)
Sky Q box
Nintendo switch in standby
TV
Soundbar
Old skool wireless handheld telephone!

It's hard to believe it all adds up to that much wattage and I could do with finding out what's eating the most but it looks to be pretty accurate. :(

A Robot cleaner for sure

Haha that would be great if we had one but unfortunately not! And we won't be getting one for a while if they use that much power too!

I've just checked now and it bounces around about 52.4w and 55w but it's basically everything in my TV cupboard which is:

Virgin media router / access hub
Tp-link deco mesh master box
Asus rog gaming router (got this due to the WiFi being crap but then realised I should have got the deco system!)
Sky Q box
Nintendo switch in standby
TV
Soundbar
Old skool wireless handheld telephone!

It's hard to believe it all adds up to that much wattage and I could do with finding out what's eating the most but it looks to be pretty accurate. :(

Sky Q will likely be 20w+, they don't really go into a low power state or at least it didn't when I had it monitored.

A TV STB (like SkyQ) can be pulling 25W alone during standby, OP is powering off his Virgin router too which is another 13W so already very close to the 55W reported

Sky Q will likely be 20w+, they don't really go into a low power state or at least it didn't when I had it monitored.

Yeah I think you're both right and I will get around to checking it all at some point to confirm. I saw the Sky Q boxes on an article about vampire devices so I borrowed an energy meter reader from someone at work and was surprised how much it was all using!

So I ordered those plugs knowing they will pay themselves back in no time. My only issue is we have inside CCTV cameras which come in useful to monitor when we are having parcels delivered etc and don't work if I switch everything off.

Also, if I turn the smart plug off as it currently stands it turns my Wi-Fi off and I can't be smart to turn it back on again! I have to wait for the timer to kick in or dare I say... Press the button on the plug! :D

I think I'm going to rework it so that the virgin media WiFi is on for the cameras (it's disabled as I use the Asus router or Deco) and and leave that out of the smart plug so everything else goes off but the virgin media router.

Edit: And link the smart plug into the Virgin kit instead so it stays working! Edit 2: The Virgin hub is in modem mode so I bet I need to put it in router mode to enable the WiFi which removes the routing from the Asus which is better at it. Damn!

Last edited:
IMG-20220409-123618.jpg

Very cool, damn those things seem so expensive, is the workmanship excellent, or is it partially due to adaption to new tech?
probably huge profit margins, you can convert a normal bike to electric.

the bosch motor and batteries are probably somewhere around 700-1000 worth of kit though, but for the cost of an electric bike thats ready to go 2.5-3.5k+ you could just buy a motorbike... with crazy amounts of engineering, way more parts etc for a fraction of the price.

most these electric motor are only supposed to last like 2-5 years too.

you can do conversions for pretty cheap if you get one where the motor is build into the front or rear wheels hub like 400quid or so, really easy to fit obviously because it's basically just a wheel.
mid mounted at the crank is better though and I'm guessing bosch like on his bike are the best ones.

in the UK we are limited to 250watt motors and the speed is limited to like 16mph before they cut out so pretty lame for how much they cost.

I had a BBSHD 1000w before with a throttle that would do 35mph, wasn't legal at all.

You can buy a tuning chip for these that will remove the speed limit, depends if you want to be legal or don't care.

Bought us some Fibre, well moved over to Fibre with Truespeed Ultra 900Mbps from our FTTC line with PlusNet / Openreach):

331Iwp5l.png.jpg

Numbers in steam make me smile (and also the CPU in my laptop feel the sweat a little... note - battery power)

4CKBOMph.png.jpg

:)

Back
Top Bottom