Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

rps20190322_222257_688.jpg

They arrived! And a lot heavier and bigger than I expected lol. Perfect for progressions. Deep pike push-ups, handstand push-ups, planche push-ups, L-sits, tucked planche dips the list is endless. Never knew two parralel bars could work nearly the entire body.

Coming up next... OCUK bar wars?

What do they work below your waist?

I said neatly! Pistol squats for lower body :D

Or even just bicep and back?

Biceps, triceps, traps, all of them are worked with different moves on the bars. It's an all upper body workout. Even if you're not overloading some muscles, just movement alone builds up resistance which is enough to help them tone.

Coming up next... OCUK bar wars?

Motors meets, GD meets, photo meets and now bar meets??

I guess they've got some other uses from that video, but if you're using them for pushups then it seems like a bit of a cop out/cheat - they're just making things easier for you unless you raise your feet parallel to them too.

I guess they've got some other uses from that video, but if you're using them for pushups then it seems like a bit of a cop out/cheat - they're just making things easier for you unless you raise your feet parallel to them too.

They're not anything new school. Parallel bars have been used for training for eons.

I got them for planche progressions as 90 degree push-ups and planche push-ups are what I'm working toward this year. It just so happens they've got a lot of use with other movements as well so will be useful for those.

Just put a stool on the feet for deep push-ups anyway, which is something you can't do on the ground, the extra movement to below the bar is great for stronger shoulders. And even without, allows greeter tricep extension once you push-up from below the bar.

As said, no they're not whole body. Squats are nothing to do with the bars and just moving your arms does not help all the muscles in any significant way. If you said you were going to work biceps and then started doing dips I would just assume you had know idea what you were doing. Throw a chin up bar in there too :) (If you don't already have on)

I don't want to be all negative though as going through a healthy exercising phase myself, anything you can add to help is great :)

As said, no they're not whole body. Squats are nothing to do with the bars and just moving your arms does not help all the muscles in any significant way. If you said you were going to work biceps and then started doing dips I would just assume you had know idea what you were doing. Throw a chin up bar in there too :) (If you don't already have on)

I don't want to be all negative though as going through a healthy exercising phase myself, anything you can add to help is great :)

Hmm not to turn this into a workouts thread lol but I think you're mixing isolation workouts with compound. I already have a pull-up bar and still go to the gym to use some of their equipment that I don't have at home but calisthenics movements focus on multiple muscle groups with every move. The bars (whether pull-up, dip or off the ground parallel) will work the entire upper body depending on the variation and progression used for any given movement. I've been doing this for the past 10 months and have seen the results once I figured out what works for me! The core is the foundation of all of these exercises though, it gets stronger and helps stability which is the main area I'm working on to reach my goal.

Still got a lot of hard work to do but in the past 8 months have gone from ~56KG to 62KG in lean muscle once I'd found what worked for my body and should hopefully hit the 65-67KG goal by year's end.

Pfftt, just get in the gym and lift heavy.

Am already a member but I found that heavy lifting bores me. Nothing feels more tedious than racking up plates each set and then finishing with a dropset or focusing on isolation exercises. I've tried it solo and with a training partner. It's still boring for my liking whereas calisthenics is way more fun and challenging, and visually more appealing. Plus with weights you've got leg day, upper body day, bicep day etc etc. I much prefer compound as it gets your body used to working multiple muscle groups and all of them getting toned at the same rate and the same time.

I think you're mixing isolation workouts with compound.

Not really. If you do a pushing exercise it wont do anything for pulling muscles, that's all. It sounds like you're doing the other stuff too, it was just a bit concerning when you said the dips and such were an all body work out. As long as you understand they really aren't and you're doing the other stuff for other things, go for it!

Still got a lot of hard work to do but in the past 8 months have gone from ~56KG to 62KG in lean muscle once I'd found what worked for my body and should hopefully hit the 65-67KG goal by year's end.

Nice. It's great and so motivating when you see the results. I'm trying to go the other way, so I'm cycling and (usually) replacing a meal a day with a fruit and veg smoothie, as well as cutting out some/most other sugary treats. In my first two weeks I've lost 9lbs/4kg.

Hmm not to turn this into a workouts thread lol

Very true. I'm sure a mod will turn up soon and tell us to zip it ;)

**EDIT** I would just throw in, you know to gain weight, the best way is heavy weights of course... if that is your main goal?

Last edited:
Not really. If you do a pushing exercise it wont do anything for pulling muscles, that's all. It sounds like you're doing the other stuff too, it was just a bit concerning when you said the dips and such were an all body work out. As long as you understand they really aren't and you're doing the other stuff for other things, go for it!

Nice. It's great and so motivating when you see the results. I'm trying to go the other way, so I'm cycling and (usually) replacing a meal a day with a fruit and veg smoothie, as well as cutting out some/most other sugary treats. In my first two weeks I've lost 9lbs/4kg.

Very true. I'm sure a mod will turn up soon and tell us to zip it ;)

**EDIT** I would just throw in, you know to gain weight, the best way is heavy weights of course... if that is your main goal?

Goal isn't to gain weight as such, but gain muscle mass, which in turn is of course weight. My bodyfat % is well under 10% so all my gains are lean muscle mass growth from progressive overload exercises. Heavy weight lifting is fine but not for me really as I don't want to body build but instead get ripped/toned which is much easier for me at this bodyfat % level. I am on a rich calorie surplus and meals are typically meat, chicken and fish with rice but I can also afford to have some junk too as I burn it off quickly as well which is a bonus! There's an insta story highlight of my 2 months~ progress in just dips and dragon flags, but have also beenm doing chip/pull-ups too here and there.

My main problem is because of a very high metabolism, I can end up losing any gains as quick as I make them. So consistency in training is what I need to keep up :)

Nice work. I always like to see people working hard for their goals rather than these folk that do silly diets and don't actually make any effort (this is normally to lose weight of course). Keep it up! Now lets move on :)

Back
Top Bottom