Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The Seagull S6 has D'Addario ej16 phosphor bronze lights .012 - .053
The Taylor has Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze lights .012 - .053

I've occasionally used d'addario mediums on the seagull when using low C tunings, but most of the time I've stuck with what the manufacturer fitted from the factory.
.012 - .053 has always turned out the brightest tone with enough midrange to give the bass some punch, especially for tapping and percussive stuff.

Caporegime
Of the half dozen or so I tried at the shop, there was very little between them in terms of quality of build. Part of the price is the brand, the rest is the materials and the design and the 'voice'.

The 214ce I looked at was really nice - much brighter midrange tonally when unplugged than the one I bought, this was due to the rosewood laminate back and sides - apart from a slight change in the pickups and the laminate woods, it was the same guitar as the 314ce.
The 214ce goes for around £800+. For that kind of money there is a lot of choice with other brands. But it is a bit much for a laminate guitar imho, plus it comes with a gig-bag not a hard case - a bit of a let-down.

The Taylor 300 series guitars are their first entry (at that price point) to an all solid wood guitar. The voice of the 314 type spoke to me with a warmer more mellow tone than the 214.
Both are very nice guitars and my inner tight-wad nearly won out in choosing the 214ce. In the end I was going to walk away with an instrument that I would not be disappointed with regardless of the model, so I chose tone over price.

I've been playing guitars on and off since I was 19 or 20; my first guitar being a Squier jazz bass (I still have it). Since then I've acquired another bass (fretless this time) and two acoustic guitars (my seagull, and a little 3/4 size unbranded classical for 15 quid out of a second-hand shop window).
I love them all, but the only one I bought new was the jazz bass. Everything else has been second hand.

So finally, after almost 20 years, it was time for a new guitar. I won't say how much more the 314ce was compared to the 214ce, but suffice to say it's getting into the region I like to call 'eye-watering'. If you care to look at some of the higher series taylors, the 400's 500's 600's 700's 800's 900's then there's the 'custom' 'presentation' and 'limited' series guitars - lord save me from sinful thoughts - I think I came away with the right guitar for me at the right price.

That's pretty much my feeling on the 214 and 314. £800 is a lot of money for a laminate but you can't deny it still sounds great and has that signature Taylor Sound. But deep down you just want that solid back and sides, seeing you are already spending that much money! Plus the hard case comes with the 314 and not the 214 so £800 with only a bag seems a bit tight !

Whilst one can argue you are paying for the name but after looking at their factory tour on how it is made, I believe the price tag is justified, like the way the neck is put together (The NT neck) and the finishes is applied. There is more innovation in a Taylor which weld in more consistency in their product than a lot of other brands.

Associate
New lanyards for my camera :)

lanyards_zpsa4041150.jpg

Soldato
Went to Collectormania in Glasgow yesterday with the extended family. Thought I was a geek till I turned up there! :D

Got an autographed photo from David Warner (had to be the Tron one of course)

You lucky person......

I love DW as a baddie and is sublime as Sark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom