Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't decide if i'd like going on a holiday on my own or not. I'm a very independant person who's happy to be alone with just his thoughts and experiences, but i'm not sure if travelling alone would be a step too far.

I've travelled on my own before because I had a random week off and was offered cheap flights to the USA. People on the plane seemed amazed at the prospect of someone travelling on their own when I spoke to them.

I did what I wanted when I wanted, met hot chicks in the backpackers hostel and had nights out with the random people there and had a great time.

af140_zps700e236f.jpg

I wanted a good leak proof thermos flask to take coffee to work. Got myself a Contigo West Loop Autoseal. It works really well. It's the first day of using it and I made myself a latte this morning. I've been sipping it all morning and it is still hot!

9229609D-C55F-4187-8B2F-60C926AE83D1-7263-0000065F15D7B512_zpsf340186d.jpg

Been buying a few bits recently...

Got sick of running out of USB's on the iMac, so bought a 7 port USB3.0 hub. Forgive the cabling, I've got some sticky pads and velcro straps on order, I plan on burying all of it under the desk :p

m9mYxvF.jpg.png

USB3.0 External Caddy for a 2.0TB drive I had lying around.

ijaK3ty.jpg

10/100/1000 8 port Netgear switch, didn't need 8 ports but 4/5 would have been pushing it and it gives me some spares, so for a few quid extra, why not.

Xiog9RX.jpg.png

4 x 3TB Western Digital Red NAS drives.

gLb2Dv3.jpg

Fitted this to my Netgear ReadyNAS 104 (purchased a couple of months ago) last night, its building away at the minute :)

I'm waiting for the 3TB's to come out around 70 quid as I also need 4 for my ReadyNAS - the cheapest I've seen them is around 80 quid which I think is a little expensive considering as they are still blaming the earthquake on higher storage costs.

M.

I'm waiting for the 3TB's to come out around 70 quid as I also need 4 for my ReadyNAS - the cheapest I've seen them is around 80 quid which I think is a little expensive considering as they are still blaming the earthquake on higher storage costs.

M.

Really? I couldn't find them for less than £107 to be honest and I had run out of space so it was time to bite the bullet :p - The cheapest I ever saw them was £99 from the Rainforest but I managed to agree a nice price from an OcUK member of staff beating the £107 :)

Difference with the NAS drives is that they are built for a NAS purpose, faster transfer speeds and designed to be at full speed 24/7 :)

Last edited:
Really? I couldn't find them for less than £107 to be honest and I had run out of space so it was time to bite the bullet :p - The cheapest I ever saw them was £99 from the Rainforest but I managed to wangle a nice price from an OcUK member of staff beating the £107 :)

Difference with the NAS drives is that they are built for a NAS purpose, faster transfer speeds and designed to be at full speed 24/7 :)

I honestly don't think the WD Reds are worth the extra over a 3TB Toshiba or Seagate. I've now had two DOA's and one fail after a week, all in a HP Microserver.

I honestly don't think the WD Reds are worth the extra over a 3TB Toshiba or Seagate. I've now had two DOA's and one fail after a week, all in a HP Microserver.

Bad batch?

I've only had 2 WD drives fail on me in 10 years and both were replaced very quickly. 160GB Sata's (back when 160GB was 'big' :D)

I've had Seagate's fail on me though? So it's swings and roundabouts.

I went for the extra speed they give when consistently writing data and a lot of people rating them on the net.

The ones around 80 quid were actually 87 quid with a voucher. My NAS won't be on 24/7 - it's more archival than retrieval.

And yes how dare they have earthquakes! In all seriousness I think a lot of storage vendors are like the energy companies - when there is a rise they quickly put the prices up but when the prices are lower they don't put them down.

M.

The ones around 80 quid were actually 87 quid with a voucher. My NAS won't be on 24/7 - it's more archival than retrieval.

And yes how dare they have earthquakes! In all seriousness I think a lot of storage vendors are like the energy companies - when there is a rise they quickly put the prices up but when the prices are lower they don't put them down.

M.

Yep, the whole situation was a bit ridiculous to be honest. But on the flip side we had awesome HDD prices for a long time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom