Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farewell SDLT, hello RDX!

DSC_0238.jpg

*EDIT*

The RDX cartridges weigh less than a 160/320GB SDLT tape lol, wasn't expecting that.

Last edited:
Also posted in Home Cinema.

New TV for the lounge. Been wanting to upgrade from my trusty LG 42" for a while, but could never decide.

For me the TV choice at the moment is pants, they haven't really made a top notch 4k TV yet and you can't even buy a top notch 1080p set anymore! I was waiting and waiting for a PS64F8500 or similar but they're like hens teeth. The death of plasma is a tragedy, LCD is just pap imo even the very 'high end' sets of 2015 can't compete for contrast of 5 year old pannys/pioneers. What a waste.

Anyway the solution for me was a cheapo set :). I'm actually a DTV Software Engineer for the company that makes these so I'm confident I can get the best out of it, and it was dirt cheap.

dLryQRVh.jpg

Finlux 65FTE242S :D. I still have my JVC X-3 in the dedicated room for proper film watching, but for gaming and TV this thing is great.
Going to calibrate and post my results tonight.

Okay, i'll bite.

Why are you using tape?

I'm not I've switched to RDX cartridges (2.5" HDD system). I ditched tape as SDLT is obsoleted now and so it was either move to RDX or LTO and between the two RDX offers lower cost (unless you have 20+ tapes in your rotation), better reliability and better upgradability so it was a bit of a no brainer :)

Last edited:
I'm not I've switched to RDX cartridges (2.5" HDD system). I ditched tape as SDLT is obsoleted now and so it was either move to RDX or LTO and between the two RDX offers lower cost (unless you have 20+ tapes in your rotation), better reliability and better upgradability so it was a bit of a no brainer :)

Interesting. I haven't come across these before.
I have always thought that tape was more robust for this sort of job than a HDD that can get knocked and dropped.
From experience LTO tapes seem to be able to stand some punishment!

Are there autochanger units for these too?

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't come across these before.
I have always thought that tape was more robust for this sort of job than a HDD that can get knocked and dropped.
From experience LTO tapes seem to be able to stand some punishment!

Are there autochanger units for these too?

I think so, HP are marketing RDX as their DAT replacement and LTO as their SDLT replacement so I think they are not doing large scale RDX as it would impact their LTO business. But Imation and Tandberg are doing RDX too and I think one of them may have libraries out.

One of the big pro's of RDX is that the drives are pretty inexpensive and are backwards/forwards compatible. If you need to increase storage you just replace your cartridges with bigger ones.

New TV for the lounge. Been wanting to upgrade from my trusty LG 42" for a while, but could never decide.

For me the TV choice at the moment is pants, they haven't really made a top notch 4k TV yet and you can't even buy a top notch 1080p set anymore! I was waiting and waiting for a PS64F8500 or similar but they're like hens teeth. The death of plasma is a tragedy, LCD is just pap imo even the very 'high end' sets of 2015 can't compete for contrast of 5 year old pannys/pioneers. What a waste.

Anyway the solution for me was a cheapo set :). I'm actually a DTV Software Engineer for the company that makes these so I'm confident I can get the best out of it, and it was dirt cheap.

dLryQRVh.jpg

Finlux 65FTE242S :D. I still have my JVC X-3 in the dedicated room for proper film watching, but for gaming and TV this thing is great.
Going to calibrate and post my results tonight.

I thought Findus made cheap food for lazy people, didn't realize they made tellys!

So you work for Vestel?

Fairly hard to get hold of this type of Coral, 7 months waiting time:eek:

Fruit Loop Zoas Stunning at Night, cam phone can't capture the colour that well.

20150909_203331.jpg

Duncans Coral, very greedy eater:)

20150909_203308.jpg

9QwQ7qi.jpg
MVMT - Black on Black. Simple design, stainless steel strap. I like the design, I like the price. Despite it being very big on my girlie wrist, it don't look bad at all when I suit up.

Looks nicer on me when dressed up than my daily Seiko 5 (Blue) with Leather Strap.

Snap, kinda, also in watches thread.

AS1pWqIl.jpg

Similar price, £17 customs sting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom