IMPORTANT: Members Market access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It's taken me over nineteen years to reach 511 posts, I'll be long gone (dead) before I reach 1000, that's assuming the post count hasn't gone up again.

Associate
Came back onto the forums specifically to look at members market stuff as I've not bought any hardware for 4+ years to find it's gone! I didn't even know the grandfathering thing existed but I understand the reason for the change, I'm most interested in any potential posts per week access would work as I assumed somewhat the post count requirement was in place to reduce the amount of scammers on the market.

Don
Came back onto the forums specifically to look at members market stuff as I've not bought any hardware for 4+ years to find it's gone! I didn't even know the grandfathering thing existed but I understand the reason for the change, I'm most interested in any potential posts per week access would work as I assumed somewhat the post count requirement was in place to reduce the amount of scammers on the market.

Indeed

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
The Members Market is overrated. If anything people actually want is advertised at a price cheaper than the bay, some lurker snags it instantly.

As a seller, the MM is regulated tighter than a duck's butt. Adding some additional info to my one and only selling listing on the MM (for a GPU and CPU) resulted in me getting suspended from that board for bumping, even though my post from like 45 mins before was already right at the top.

I also advertised my hardware on the bay and it sold BIN for more (even after fees) within 72 hours than I was asking for on the MM here, where I got zero interest and one suspension for my effort.

You're really not missing out on anything by not having access to the MM.

Commissario
The Members Market is overrated. If anything people actually want is advertised at a price cheaper than the bay, some lurker snags it instantly.

As a seller, the MM is regulated tighter than a duck's butt. Adding some additional info to my one and only selling listing on the MM (for a GPU and CPU) resulted in me getting suspended from that board for bumping, even though my post from like 45 mins before was already right at the top.

I also advertised my hardware on the bay and it sold BIN for more (even after fees) within 72 hours than I was asking for on the MM here, where I got zero interest and one suspension for my effort.

Oh so you’re ok if we remove your access then, if it’s so overrated?

Associate
It's taken me over nineteen years to reach 511 posts, I'll be long gone (dead) before I reach 1000, that's assuming the post count hasn't gone up again.
TBH I would probably have a similar problem if I joined now. I'm more of a lurker than a contributor.
I find I have little different to add compared to anything that's already posted, so don't see the point posting for the sake of it. I'm concerned this change, along with the new 15 posts per 90 days to keep access will just lead to more "+1" type comments to increase post count.

Associate

This doesn't mesh with my memory of the members market - historically I found good deals on the MM, perhaps things have changed but I wouldn't have expected it to as it's a smaller market than the bay.

I'd say your point on lurkers snagging it instantly if priced less than the bay seems the opposite to your experience selling something on the bay for more money than asking for on the MM - wouldn't the lurkers have snagged it if it was priced less?

Really money isn't the only aspect to the MM, I valued it more than the bay because this is a forum for enthusiasts, who in my opinion are more likely to look after their hardware and less likely to try and scam you if you're selling on here.

Associate
Really money isn't the only aspect to the MM, I valued it more than the bay because this is a forum for enthusiasts, who in my opinion are more likely to look after their hardware and less likely to try and scam you if you're selling on here.
That's always been my worry with selling items on the bay, I feel like it's 70/30 chance that you're going to get scammed.

I've found on the bay that the buyer just holds all of the power. I sold a PSU a few years back - worked absolutely perfectly, tested before I shipped it and then the buyer immediately returns/refunds it as 'broken'. I'd got a picture of the serial number before shipping it out and it was very clear once they returned the 'same' PSU that they'd shipped me a similar PSU (but not the one I'd sent them) and tried to claim the one I'd sent them was broken.

It took almost 3 months to resolve with the bay - just to get my 80 quid back.

I've now got an RTX 3070 that I'd like to sell - the Bay is an option but I'm almost tempted to wait until I get closer to the post count needed to access MM.

Last edited:
Associate
That's always been my worry with selling items on the bay, I feel like it's 70/30 chance that you're going to get scammed.

I've found on the bay that the buyer just holds all of the power. I sold a PSU a few years back - worked absolutely perfectly, tested before I shipped it and then the buyer immediately returns/refunds it as 'broken'. I'd got a picture of the serial number before shipping it out and it was very clear once they returned the 'same' PSU that they'd shipped me a similar PSU (but not the one I'd sent them) and tried to claim the one I'd sent them was broken.

It took almost 3 months to resolve with the bay - just to get my 80 quid back.

I've now got an RTX 3070 that I'd like to sell - the Bay is an option but I'm almost tempted to wait until I get closer to the post count needed to access MM.
This is why I use the MM, but never bother with eBay.

I get eBay needs to protect buyers, but it seems to have gone too far to the point where it's not viable for individuals to sell, as you need to be selling enough stuff so that when you get scammed out of an item that the rest of your sales make up for the loss & you can just write it off as an expense of the platform.

Associate
I'd say your point on lurkers snagging it instantly if priced less than the bay seems the opposite to your experience selling something on the bay for more money than asking for on the MM - wouldn't the lurkers have snagged it if it was priced less?

I should probably define that the 'things people want' on this board that will likely get insta-snapped up by a lurker tend to be high-end or especially in demand.

My CPU and GPU that no one was interested in was Ryzen 2700 and 5700 XT. If I was selling something newer / more popular with enthusiasts, perhaps that would have gone better here. As such, the bay was definitely the better marketplace for me to offload those.

Soldato
I'm fully in favour of all the changes and it's good to see the mods/admins keeping the MM a trustworthy place to buy or sell stuff. I'm sure there'll be people with low post counts who were honest and legit but I have no doubt it'll also have weeded out people who weren't (and those whose post counts are frantically increasing suddenly are worth keeping an eye on too).

The MM is provided as a rather significant perk for the community, there are plenty of other ways to buy or sell if you're not interested in being involved in that.

Associate
This doesn't mesh with my memory of the members market - historically I found good deals on the MM, perhaps things have changed but I wouldn't have expected it to as it's a smaller market than the bay.

C'mon one more post and you've access to it again. As others im not a huge poster and lost access but hopefully will have access again. I found the members market to be great as it was a trust that people were honest and would help if there were any issues. It was a first port of call for me when I was selling or looking for something.

Commissario
C'mon one more post and you've access to it again. As others im not a huge poster and lost access but hopefully will have access again. I found the members market to be great as it was a trust that people were honest and would help if there were any issues. It was a first port of call for me when I was selling or looking for something.
Only 33 posts and you’re back in ;)

Associate
I do get the point re contributing to the community, I really do - but not everyone either wants to or can natter on about nothing in particular. I got called out for having around half of my posts in the MM - but I haven’t sold or bought anything in MM for years - and when I did, I always received really good trust. I’m sure there are lots more people like me who did contribute (albeit not at the rate that the forums now want) , who sold and bought a few odds and sods through MM with absolutely no hassle and had very pleased “customers”. So for me - this is an arbitrary decision that does Little to enhance the forums or overclockers - it just removes choice in MM - and without a safe place to sell on old equipment, people maybe less inclined to purchase an unnecessary upgrade… I believe it would have been far more beneficial to the community if the moderators had focused on those that truly abuse the system… Just sharing my views… I know the decision will not be reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom