IMPORTANT: Members Market access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I've read it, you grandfathered in etc. So basically because I've not been posting on average twice a week since you implemented the rule, I'm penalised. Got it.

I'm back here as often as my lifestyle allows and these days, it is usually when I'm trying to upgrade or buy new hardware.
Chin up, you'll get access again in a decade or so at your current rate.

G J

G J

Associate
Talking of MM, the price check subforum is practically dead for responses to questions.
I'm not quite sure why the forum exists as people can find this out themselves by using the forum search though it doesnt help that people delete/edit what items have sold for and there's also seach functions/price listings on other sites.

I'd also take the price checks done by members with a pinch of salt as some will have a bias/ out to rip members off as I remember a while ago a card sold within a couple of minutes so I used the forum seach for that model of card and found a a price check thread a few days before where the person that would eventually end up buying the card lowballed what it was worth.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've read it, you grandfathered in etc. So basically because I've not been posting on average twice a week since you implemented the rule, I'm penalised. Got it.

I'm back here as often as my lifestyle allows and these days, it is usually when I'm trying to upgrade or buy new hardware.
Really it's because you've not posted on average once a week in 21 years. It's not exactly a high bar.

Soldato
I've had my current account for over 21 years and way before that (there was a wipe back in 2002). As I've got older (i'm really old now), i dont really have time to post much anymore. That being said i do like to visit and post (today in fact). So I guess I'm a bit perturbed by my removal from MM as it's taken 21 years for me to get to 600 therefore i've probably go another 10 or so before i get to 1000, by which point i'm not even sure what my status will be by then :)

Do you even have access? Scrolling back through your posts back to 2020 and I can't even see a post in the MM.

Associate
I think people are forgetting that this place is not just posters, its also readers. Many of whom have been here for years or decades.
I was a dirty lurker for ages because this place was an absolute goldmine of tech knowledge, banter and advice not to mention top notch bants and I couldnt participate from many of the worksites i was browsing from back then.
I suspect I'm going to lose MM access because I do far more browsing of the forums than replying to threads, because life came along and ate up the freetime I had in my 30s.
There is after all only so much diddums polishing, or dlockers home DIY thread stalking you can do, while avoiding cheesefest threads and lets not start on the "oh god I activated a dowiehole" if you reply to anything remotely controversial.
But I do know how long it takes to get a Mac-10, I remember the "its only 10% kerfuffle" and the haby birtdoy craziness. I've got history in this place even if it aint much.

But the MM is one of the things I like to know is always an option. In the past I've got some bargains, and some not so much bargains. I've made PCs for family from stuff off the MM and I've bought some absolute tat and thought what the hell am I going to do with it now.

I'm looking at a 5 yr old waterblocked graphics card in front of me that has done me damn good service, but what are my options for it now I no longer need it?
ebay, where I run the risk of joe public buying it, not being able to run the latest AAA game at 4K and opening a case against me, and losing a big chunk of change in fees.
facebook where I will literally have to avoid the hivemind of idiots and scammers
or not bother to sell it at all. It can't exactly go to the charity shop.

So it's the MM, or the bin. And losing the option of MM would be an actual sadness as far as I'm concerned.

Soldato
I think people are forgetting that this place is not just posters, its also readers. Many of whom have been here for years or decades.
I was a dirty lurker for ages because this place was an absolute goldmine of tech knowledge, banter and advice not to mention top notch bants and I couldnt participate from many of the worksites i was browsing from back then.
I suspect I'm going to lose MM access because I do far more browsing of the forums than replying to threads, because life came along and ate up the freetime I had in my 30s.
There is after all only so much diddums polishing, or dlockers home DIY thread stalking you can do, while avoiding cheesefest threads and lets not start on the "oh god I activated a dowiehole" if you reply to anything remotely controversial.
But I do know how long it takes to get a Mac-10, I remember the "its only 10% kerfuffle" and the haby birtdoy craziness. I've got history in this place even if it aint much.

But the MM is one of the things I like to know is always an option. In the past I've got some bargains, and some not so much bargains. I've made PCs for family from stuff off the MM and I've bought some absolute tat and thought what the hell am I going to do with it now.

I'm looking at a 5 yr old waterblocked graphics card in front of me that has done me damn good service, but what are my options for it now I no longer need it?
ebay, where I run the risk of joe public buying it, not being able to run the latest AAA game at 4K and opening a case against me, and losing a big chunk of change in fees.
facebook where I will literally have to avoid the hivemind of idiots and scammers
or not bother to sell it at all. It can't exactly go to the charity shop.

So it's the MM, or the bin. And losing the option of MM would be an actual sadness as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is it's a forum not a blog, if everyone were only readers then the forum would cease to exist. Everyone needs to make some form of contributions to keep the thing alive - especially in 2023 where actual forums with a decent sized community are quite a rare thing.

I don't buy people's excuse about not having time to post/contribute, if you have the time to read a couple of posts a day then you have the time to make a few posts a day.

Associate
I don't buy people's excuse about not having time to post/contribute, if you have the time to read a couple of posts a day then you have the time to make a few posts a day.
It’s not an excuse, not everyone wants to create inane posts for the sake of keeping a post count high. Scrolling through overclockers various sub forums passively/lurking can be quite cathartic. That’s not to say I wouldn’t post if I could help someone with a query - but just thinking of things to say for the sake of it doesn’t really work for everyone.. I use OC for comp stuff - for other things I tend to talk to people. Anyway, the new rules are the rules and I don’t see them being reversed. I haven’t been a big spender on comp stuff for a while - an RTX3070 last yearish was my last big purchase. I do wonder, however, whether this rule change will make those people impacted think twice about upgrading, often the resale value of safely selling old gear on the MM is part of the cost calculation. As I eluded - I’m hardly going to impact OCs revenue stream - but I wonder how many MM users have been impacted and how much the aggregated revenue hit could be? Hopefully the OC forum team determined that this was insignificant before invoking the change… All that said, i’ll still lurk and contribute where I feel I can add something.

Soldato
It’s not an excuse, not everyone wants to create inane posts for the sake of keeping a post count high. Scrolling through overclockers various sub forums passively/lurking can be quite cathartic. That’s not to say I wouldn’t post if I could help someone with a query - but just thinking of things to say for the sake of it doesn’t really work for everyone.. I use OC for comp stuff - for other things I tend to talk to people. Anyway, the new rules are the rules and I don’t see them being reversed. I haven’t been a big spender on comp stuff for a while - an RTX3070 last yearish was my last big purchase. I do wonder, however, whether this rule change will make those people impacted think twice about upgrading, often the resale value of safely selling old gear on the MM is part of the cost calculation. As I eluded - I’m hardly going to impact OCs revenue stream - but I wonder how many MM users have been impacted and how much the aggregated revenue hit could be? Hopefully the OC forum team determined that this was insignificant before invoking the change… All that said, i’ll still lurk and contribute where I feel I can add something.

No-one has suggested anyone create inane posts for the sake of keeping their post count high. You need to create one post count every 6 days. I'm quite confident every genuine member could find a thread where they can make one worthwhile post every 6 days. It's really not asking much.

There's nothing stopping any of the "lurkers" from continuing to read whatever content they wish - they just have to accept the fact that as they're not contributing to a community they shouldn't have access to community managed marketplaces. No different than reading blogs, watching review videos etc.

Associate
Agree that we have to accept not having access to MM - largely disagree with the rest - especially the genuine member comment - contribution shouldn’t be based on a volumetric basis only..People are different, have different demands on their time and have different interests and motivations. You state: “…could find a thread where they can make one worthwhile post every 6 days“ that does suggest that people actively look for posts to keep their post count high - which not everyone will want to do.

I think we will have to agree to disagree - the decision has been made and I, and many others, will not get access to the MM again.

Would also be interesting to know the average age of those that have lost access to the MM under the reversal of the grandfather rights rule - I wonder if it is a generation thing? Where those of us that are slightly older are less likely to post as regular? I wonder if the average age of those that have access to MM has reduced..

BTW - The irony has not been lost on me that I have contributed more to this thread than most others - and also that it doesn’t count towards my post count!!

Last edited:
Associate
The irony has not been lost on me that I have contributed more to this thread than most others - and also that it doesn’t count towards my post count!!
Whilst your post count won't increase by posting in GD, posts in GD do still count towards the minimum required to retain MM access.

Last edited:
Don
Agree that we have to accept not having access to MM - largely disagree with the rest - especially the genuine member comment - contribution shouldn’t be based on a volumetric basis only..People are different, have different demands on their time and have different interests and motivations. You state: “…could find a thread where they can make one worthwhile post every 6 days“ that does suggest that people actively look for posts to keep their post count high - which not everyone will want to do.

I think we will have to agree to disagree - the decision has been made and I, and many others, will not get access to the MM again.

Would also be interesting to know the average age of those that have lost access to the MM under the reversal of the grandfather rights rule - I wonder if it is a generation thing? Where those of us that are slightly older are less likely to post as regular? I wonder if the average age of those that have access to MM has reduced..

BTW - The irony has not been lost on me that I have contributed more to this thread than most others - and also that it doesn’t count towards my post count!!
The original 1000 post rule was introduced 10 years ago IIRC.

Simply by that fact, the age of those impacted by unifying one rule for all members is that the grandfathered accounts will be people who are older based on pure mathematics because of when they first joined the forums.

And I agree that volume of posts does not wholly cover whether someone is a contributing member or not. However 500 posts in almost 20 YEARS, where roughly 30% of them were in MM, would definitely indicate you are not someone who has contributed much to the forums in those 20 years by any metric.

Associate
The original 1000 post rule was introduced 10 years ago IIRC.

Simply by that fact, the age of those impacted by unifying one rule for all members is that the grandfathered accounts will be people who are older based on pure mathematics because of when they first joined the forums.

And I agree that volume of posts does not wholly cover whether someone is a contributing member or not. However 500 posts in almost 20 YEARS, where roughly 30% of them were in MM, would definitely indicate you are not someone who has contributed much to the forums in those 20 years by any metric
Re the grandfathered in piece - you are not getting my point, so let me try again - of those that joined before 2010 and the 1000 post limit - it would be interesting to know what percentage of 20 to 30 year olds , at that point in 2010, had hit the 1000 post count vs 30 to 40 or 40 to 50 or 50+, I just wondered whether it was a reflection on different generations. I wasn’t making anymore of it than that. It may not even be correct - but I have a feeling there maybe some truth in it.

And no need for the capitals in “YEARS” I know how long I have been on the forums and I know how much i have posted.. there’s no need to use me as an example and make it personal. It was, I thought, just a general conversation - being in GD…

Associate
Hi my post count is not going up one every post I make. I have made six posts over the last few days and it's gone from 346 to 347.

Are some threads like the daily wordle and music section excluded from the count?
If so why,

A post I made in the software and hardware section is the only one which has been counted. l
Please can you help me thanks, Jake

Associate
I've had similar with my post count static for a few posts now, but also another problem. I was in a Nintendo family group set up under the MM and it's up for renewal, but as I'm bumped from the MM the person set it up set a post there and I cannot see it, and he never realised that I could not see the post, so I'm bumped and need a new group...First world problems I know, but the advertisement of the MM rules looks to have gone past many people.

FluffySheep

Soldato
Hi my post count is not going up one every post I make. I have made six posts over the last few days and it's gone from 346 to 347.

Are some threads like the daily wordle and music section excluded from the count?
If so why,

A post I made in the software and hardware section is the only one which has been counted. l
Please can you help me thanks, Jake
Posts in GD no longer count towards your post count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom