• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT SANDYBRIDGE OC INFO: Voltages & OC Guide!!~~~~~

Associate
Edit: Double post whoops

Edit 2: Well I pretty much know the answer to my question above, anything over 1.4v is really not considered safe for this CPU - I will try manual settings tonight and try achieve 5GHz around 1.4 - 1.45v

Edit 3: Made some progress at lunchtime, set manual voltage to 1.465 with LLC settings @ extreme, it peaks at 1.502v & 63 degrees after 5 mins of Prime95 (i'ts all I had time to do!). I tried turning down the LLC after this but couldn't get it to boot into windows. Do we think 1.502v peak might be ok for 6-12 months? Bearing in mind if I do kill it I will just buy a Haswell! (Though ideally I would like this one to last until the 20nm chips come out).

Last edited:
Associate
Just in case anyone is interested, my current system is my first overclocked system - been running a 2600k at 4.9Ghz 1.4v (on noctua air cooler) for 3 years, not a single BSOD yet, tho maybe I just got lucky.

Soldato
Had my 'new' 2500k arrive last week to replace an ageing Q6600 system running at 3.4GHz for 2 years.

Even at stock I found it to be considerably faster. Currently have it at 4.4Ghz at 1.24v.

I will be lapping it, but I'll probably keep it at 4.4 after that. I'd just like a more even temp range as Core 2 is about 10 degrees higher than the coolest.

Associate
Hi, I recently upgraded to a 2500k and a gbyte z77x-d3h and I'm having some trouble with overclocking: I currently have it stable at 4.0GHz at 1.26V. If I try any frequencies higher than that the PC almost immediately BSoDs under a P95 blend test. It turns out I have to up the voltage to 1.3V for it to be stable at 4.2GHz, and 1.38V for 4.3GHz.

My method for overclocking is using the offset mode so I can retain the low idle clocks and voltages. Even trying the aforementioned frequencies with a fixed voltage ends with a BSoD under a blend test. As a result I've gone back to 4GHz since I didn't think the extra heat that came with upping the volts was worth it for an extra 200-300MHz. Judging by the majority of others with a 2500k, I was looking for perhaps 4.4GHz at my current, or perhaps a slightly higher, voltage.

Am I doing something wrong, or is my CPU just a terrible overclocker? I picked up the CPU and Mobo second hand for £120 including postage so I can't really complain, but it wouldn't hurt to get a few extra 100MHz out of it if possible.

Soldato
Been running a 2700k at 5GHz for years @1.32v. The chip is fairly golden and will do 5.2GHz stable at 1.38v but never dared go up beyond that. Still a very rapid system.
wow that is a really nice chip, i wonder what its wall is. my best 2500K does 5.6ghz on 1.565v under cold water. if your cpu could do 5.8ghz+ then it would be in the best few in the world.

Back
Top Bottom