• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT SANDYBRIDGE OC INFO: Voltages & OC Guide!!~~~~~

Associate
Next step will be to shove 1.45v through it and clock it to around 5GHz and just leave it going and see if it dies. If it lives, then we can point our finger elsewhere or when its a combination of both high vcore and high vdimm.

If it survives, I'll buy it straight off you. No questions asked. :D Just hit me thru my trust email. Serious.:D

Last edited:
Associate
Should I set the VCore manually or just leave it at auto until I see it going over 1.35?

It is currently auto 1.25V at 4Ghz.

OcUK Staff
OP
Ok, lets go for 4.6 as a start

In your Bios, set your multi to 46

then

VCCORE 1.28
IO 1.048
SA 0.945
CPUPLL 1.88

Then post up a cpuz

CPUPLL just be careful of that one mate, stock is 1.80v and sandybridge boards seem rather sensitive to upping volts on PLL, it may just be bios issues, but I'd leave PLL at stock.

Soldato
CPUPLL just be careful of that one mate, stock is 1.80v and sandybridge boards seem rather sensitive to upping volts on PLL, it may just be bios issues, but I'd leave PLL at stock.

I found that on the MSI boards, stock PLL won't let you go much above 4.2ghz. Been running 1.8 since last Thurs! Will try and get it down...

Associate
Ok, lets go for 4.6 as a start

In your Bios, set your multi to 46

then

VCCORE 1.28
IO 1.048
SA 0.945
CPUPLL 1.88

Then post up a cpuz

I was welcomed to a blue screen before windows loaded. Everything is back to auto now except multi at 42, BCLK 100.

Voltage seems high for only 4.2Ghz.

71mj2q.jpg

Soldato
Still running my i7 920 d0 @ 4.20Ghz at 1.240v vcore and memory at 1.50v still going strong in prime for 6 hours now and max temp is 69C!
Lucky sod, mine needs 1.225 V for 3.8 GHz and that gives temps in the high 70s. To be fair though, I do have every power saving feature on (C-States, C1E, SpeedStep, VDroop). I'm sure if I disabled C1E and enabled Load Line Calibration I could lower it a few notches.

Associate
When the VCore is set to auto, is it automatically set to a minimum value that will work at the specified clock frequency or does it provide headroom?

For example if it is 1.32V auto at 4.4Ghz, would setting anything lower than 1.32V fail at 4.4Ghz or could something like 1.3V work fine?

Also, what is the max/safe temperature?

Edit: I can get 4.5Ghz at 1.32V however 4.6Ghz shoot up into the 1.37V range.

Last edited:
Associate
Brilliant!!

Got my 2500k/Gigabyte P67/Corsair xms3 delivered today.

Its all installed and working lovely, BF2 runs so sweet now - really happy.

I'm completely new to intel (always used AMD until now), so the BIOS settings are taking some time to work out.

I've gone for a vcore 1.275
bclk manual 100
vdimm 1.50
42 multi

Prime seems stable, CPU temps got to mid 70's which I think is high? I havn't a clue what all the CPU calibration and turbo settings are for....?

Can anyone give me a guide to getting my BIOS setup? Anything I should be enabling/disabling?

cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom