• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Impressed with NVIDIA's Freesync

Soldato
First off delightedd G-Sync has been unlocked for every FreeSync panel.

Just to note in regards to Nvidia G-Sync module validation, the validator must have been drunk when he passed the Predator XB271, for all I know all validation means - plugged in switched on.

My other two G-Sync panels currently work great though.

So if NV can't get it right with paying a validation premium, then be prepared for any of them to have bugs.

Be patient in regarfsrto support being the first driver and welcome to VRR!

:)

Soldato
It just so happens my main monitor is Freesync despite the fact that I have a 1080. So with todays release of new driver, it took me minutes to discover all you have to do is enable Freesync on the monitor and the 1080 picks it up and adds new menus to the NVIDIA control panel. You just have to enable adaptive sync and off it goes. I have to say I am impressed. So far no problems with the monitor, everything is just great! So pleased NVIDIA included this!

Is your monitor on Nvidia's certified list? Because if it's not then you might want to drop Uncle Jensen an email and tell him he's telling porky pies about FreeSync not working.

Soldato
So.... what does this mean for all of Nvidia's monitor partners, who've got stockpiles of expensive gsync monitors?
The same with the AIB partners with the excessive 1060 GPUs...leaving them to deal with it themselves.

Nvidia already gotten the money for the chip they are charging the partners, they could care less :D

Caporegime
It just so happens my main monitor is Freesync despite the fact that I have a 1080. So with todays release of new driver, it took me minutes to discover all you have to do is enable Freesync on the monitor and the 1080 picks it up and adds new menus to the NVIDIA control panel. You just have to enable adaptive sync and off it goes. I have to say I am impressed. So far no problems with the monitor, everything is just great! So pleased NVIDIA included this!
Great news and glad it is working for you. There seems to be some salty people in here but at least now they can buy an NVidia GPU and use it on a cheaper Freesync compatible screen :)

Soldato
I meant the lack of 9xx series support

9xx doesn't have the hardware support for Adaptive sync over DP and it doesn't have a HDMI port that meets the requirements for HDMI 2.1 which is needed for VRR over HDMI. I don't think any Nvidia card does at present, though people hope that they bring support to Turing eventually.

Soldato
9xx doesn't have the hardware support for Adaptive sync over DP and it doesn't have a HDMI port that meets the requirements for HDMI 2.1 which is needed for VRR over HDMI. I don't think any Nvidia card does at present, though people hope that they bring support to Turing eventually.

Is G-sync relying on the hardware in the monitor then rather than anything in the GPU? How can it parse a G-Sync signal without support for adaptive sync over DP?

Are you suggesting that Nvidia designed the 1xxx series to support freesync in the first place? As why else would they add the hardware support for adaptive sync if it isn’t needed for g-sync?

Soldato
Is G-sync relying on the hardware in the monitor then rather than anything in the GPU? How can it parse a G-Sync signal without support for adaptive sync over DP?

Gsync monitors have an FPGA module. This module handles everything, it is the scaler, timing controller, framebuffer all in one. It doesn't have any hardware requirements on the GPU.

Are you suggesting that Nvidia designed the 1xxx series to support freesync in the first place? As why else would they add the hardware support for adaptive sync if it isn’t needed for g-sync?

Either they knew that they would eventually end up supporting Adaptive sync monitors or that they were playing the odds and put the hardware in place just in case.

Soldato
It is just part of the DisplayPort standard and so is included by default on the newer cards. The 9xx series cards have DisplayPort 1.2 and so are not quite up to spec (DisplayPort 1.2a or higher is required).
But 9xx series laptops can support adaptive sync, so what’s different there?
They use eDP which is different again from DisplayPort or HDMI.

Back
Top Bottom