Improving wireless signal with an extra router

Associate
Hi all

The wireless signal in my flat doesn't cover all the rooms so I wondered whether using my spare router in a room at the other end of the flat (in addition to the existing router) would rectify this.

I'm still waiting to confirm the password for the existing router with the ISP (my flatmate has forgotten it) so haven't been able to try it for myself yet, but if it's definitely not going to work then I won't bother continuing to hassle them for the details. If it makes any difference, the routers are different makes.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

Soldato
I'm still waiting to confirm the password for the existing router with the ISP (my flatmate has forgotten it) so haven't been able to try it for myself yet. Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

- Look on web at make / model of router and find default password.
- reset router
- access via default password

??

Soldato
Hi all

The wireless signal in my flat doesn't cover all the rooms so I wondered whether using my spare router in a room at the other end of the flat (in addition to the existing router) would rectify this.
Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

Yes - connect via a pair of powerline plugs?

Associate
OP
- Look on web at make / model of router and find default password.
- reset router
- access via default password

??
Sorry, just to clarify - it's the password for the account with the ISP that I'm being prompted for, not the password for the router (took an educated guess at that!).

And I have no idea what powerline plugs are!

Soldato
Associate
OP
Ouch, those plugs are expensive!

Yes, my plan was to connect both routers at the same time to get wireless at both ends of the flat. Will that not work?

This is a nightmare - I can get 20 other wireless connections from my bedroom but not my own!

Associate
is the spare router a cable type or does it have an adsl modem?

diffrence is most cable routers can be readily configured to be wireless access stations (at least if ethernet connected to the other router) but thats not usually possible with combined units.

powerline/homeplugs was my preferred solution, the slower 85mbps units are cheaper and fine for upto 8mbps internet speeds. Buying new wireless kit to fix the probelm will be more hassle and expensive

Soldato
Ouch, those plugs are expensive!

Yes, my plan was to connect both routers at the same time to get wireless at both ends of the flat. Will that not work?

This is a nightmare - I can get 20 other wireless connections from my bedroom but not my own!

No, it wont, you can only connect one ADSL router to a phoneline at one time!

If there are so many other wireless networks around, chances are you're struggling because the channels are overlapping, try changing the channel on your router first

Soldato
It will work with cable routers.

modem-router-poweline plug .............powerline plug-router-wifi or network cable

Associate
Yes - connect via a pair of powerline plugs?

This.

Get a set of wireless powerline adapters (wireless range extenders) to save you having to use two routers if you need wifi. Plug one in to your existing router using an ethernet cable, and plug the other into a plug socket anywhere in the house. This way you won't have to mess with any settings etc. just plug in and go.

Back
Top Bottom