• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

In dire need of Advice please, MSI faulty GTX 1080, but no original invoice available.

Associate
I am asking on behalf of a friend, he had an MSI Gaming X 1080 bought as a gift and he has not got the original receipt, it was not a purchase from Overclockers as far as I am aware.

Has anyone had any good or bad experience with trying to returning a graphics card direct to MSI without the invoice?

The warranty stickers are still intact and of course, the card cannot be over 3 years old due to card been on the market for less than 3 years.

Pretty desperate for some help and advice, please.

Soldato
from what i understand MSI will do warranty from date of manufacture if receipt is not present but i cant be 100% sure, its best to fire email off to them to make sure.

I know Gigabyte and ASUS allow warranty without receipt from date of manufacture and EVGA do a warranty transfer to new client if you have some kind of proof of purchase even if you bought the card second hand its fine, they will honour a transfer of warranty from the date of manufacture.

MSI i also do this but not 100% sure because i have not personally asked them in email.

this is someone else experience with MSI warranty
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/msi-graphics-card-warranty.18757014/

Soldato
Last two times I RMAd with MSI they demanded the receipt.

First time was a GPU that was out of stock with the retailer (and I wanted it replaced, not a different model etc) and second time was a mobo, same story. IDK how much luck you will have, as they don't like dealing with the public. In fairness though the contract is between you and your retailer, not them.

Soldato
Shame it is a MSI card not Gigabyte, otherwise Gigabyte would have sort the warranty via serial number based on the date of the card left the factory.

We even have a Gigabyte rep Gigaman frequently browsing through this part of forum and offering help and support for customers of their products.

Permabanned
I am asking on behalf of a friend, he had an MSI Gaming X 1080 bought as a gift and he has not got the original receipt, it was not a purchase from Overclockers as far as I am aware.

Has anyone had any good or bad experience with trying to returning a graphics card direct to MSI without the invoice?

The warranty stickers are still intact and of course, the card cannot be over 3 years old due to card been on the market for less than 3 years.

Pretty desperate for some help and advice, please.

Based on the story and the loss of a loved one I'd approach MSI with the facts as you wrote them, It's definitely inside the warranty period due to how long ago these cards came to market and it has all the security sticker intact as it hasn't been tampered with, Personally I'd find a forum with an MSI rep or their own forum so you can start a thread on the problem and highlight the situation so they know others are watching and waiting to see how they respond. Personally I think the facts as we know them should be enough to get some sort of positive response, it all depends on what their customer service is like, just make sure to make it public on a forum MSI visits, (It's a shame there isn't one here).

Soldato
If possible a bank statement proving there was a purchase is minimum requirement for warranty claim, you wouldn't need a receipt, but under the circumstances is a tough ask.

You could also try approaching pos and ask them to provide a copy of the receipt for warranty reasons.

Associate
Why don't you just ask MSI directly?? You're going to have to contact them to initiate the RMA process anyway aren't you? On the basis that someone on this forum did say it's fine and they've done it before, what were you gonna do, just send it in to them with absolutely no context or RMA number or reason why you're sending it? :confused:

Soldato
just tell them it was a gift and you dont have receipt, they will most likely accept and require you to pay for delivery both to and from them. Fire an email

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your replies, MSI have just replied, they said yes , no problem, you just need to return the card to us at your own cost, looks to be a polish address, I guess it will cost about £20 ish to send it tracked, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than a dead card.

Soldato
Thank you all for your replies, MSI have just replied, they said yes , no problem, you just need to return the card to us at your own cost, looks to be a polish address, I guess it will cost about £20 ish to send it tracked, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than a dead card.

Great news, keep us up to date with your repair/replacement. It's nice to hear good feedback and definitely sways me with the choice of manufacturer.

Associate
OP
Just a quick update, RMA details have been recieved, the card has to be returned at my friends expense ( which is just fine) it has to go to Poland for RMA, he has packaged it up and it will be going via a 3 - 5 day tracked and signed for service at a cost of £17.90 sadly this only insures for up to £250, as to fully insure the card the cost sky rocketed to over £60 !!!

Back
Top Bottom