industrial action by council is absolutely rubbish (pun intended)

Soldato
So, thursday our bins were meant to be emptied, this happens every 2 weeks,

so they decide to strike.. Ok, not a problem, pick up the bins on the friday right?

wrong.

our bin wont be emptied until the 24th July.

4 weeks since the last collection? In this heat, anything that can perish in the bin will be gross after 14 days, nevermind 28.

they moan when we dont pay council tax on time etc, but dont mind leaving bins for a month =(

Also, they normally say "dont leave bags outside of the bin as this will encourage foxes and other creatures" and now they want us to if the bin gets full?!

Industrial Action - Update
Waste Collection

No waste collection services were undertaken on Thursday 10th July 2014. If your bin was scheduled for collection on Thursday, we will collect side waste with your bin collection on 24 July 2014.

Side waste is defined as follows:

Grey bin: up to 3 black bags

Green bin: No bagged waste, please contain the recyclables within a cardboard box

Garden waste: Please present the garden waste in an unsealed bag.

Blue box: Please present any additional glass in a sturdy open box.

Trade waste collections: Please leave your bin accessible, as above. If you do not receive a collection, we will accept side waste along with your next collection.

Published on Thursday 10 July 2014, 9:31 AM

Should i ring them up and have a cry? Oh, and we were told around a hour after they normally come and pick the bins up, so our street STILL have most of the bins sat outside their houses =(

Soldato
No point they won't do anything about it.

In Hereford they have reduced the grass cutting to 3 times a year to save a bit of cash. Massive backlash from pretty much everybody who lives here, yet they won't budge.

Place looks like a jungle. Hate hate hate local councils with a passion.

Caporegime
Those due a collection on Friday will have had their bins emptied on Friday.

The council would have to pay overtime to have the bins missed on Thursday emptied and why should they do that?

You should be complaing about the refuse collectors who went on strike not the council.

Permabanned
Don't waste so much food then?

My waste bin is never more than a quarter full
The waste packaging bin always gets left a month as it's never full, and that's mostly because I use the supermarkets boxes to carry shopping home in

Soldato
OP
on the council website and twitter they told us that they would be emptied on the saturday (so tomorrow) but no, now they have made us wait the extra 2 weeks instead.

they have blatently lied to us.

We have paid for our bins to be collected. they havnt been.

Man of Honour
[TW]Sponge;26593953 said:
No point they won't do anything about it.

In Hereford they have reduced the grass cutting to 3 times a year to save a bit of cash. Massive backlash from pretty much everybody who lives here, yet they won't budge.

Place looks like a jungle. Hate hate hate local councils with a passion.

They've reduce how often they cut back the banks, etc. around here, this year it looks like an absolute tip with massive growth of nettles and other weeds, etc. as well as the grass.

Bit of a nightmare for people with hay fever as usually a lot of that stuff is cut back and rotting into the ground by now.

Soldato
Hmm, I wonder if that's why ours haven't been collected either - although we haven't been told anything about it.

Hardly surprising however, our BHM council are beyond useless, the only communication we ever get is a council tax bill.

They're probably just going to do what they usually do, and collect it whenever they feel like it (supposed to be on a Thursday, but in the last 2 months I think it's only been collected on the right day twice...).

Associate
I think if you fly tip you can get 25 years in jail nowadays, hard labour too, none of that namby pamby open prison nonsense child murderers get nowadays.

I left one blade of grass in my blackbag the other week, I'm nailed on to go down, my defence is the wind blew that bit of grass in the bag.

Associate
I saw on the news that 3 weekly collections are going to be trialled. We currently have 2 weekly and our blue bin for cardboard, plastic, glass etc is buldging by the time they come for it as are the majority that I see put out around here. Seems to me they want to force people to take their recycling to a recycling centre rather than rely on the council.

Soldato
And people wonder why things are privatised and **** public services are canned. Happened round our area too it's a disgrace but they'll charge the same and continue with the same **** service.

Just get rid of councils, especially councillors.

Permabanned
And people wonder why things are privatised and **** public services are canned. Happened round our area too it's a disgrace but they'll charge the same and continue with the same **** service.

Just get rid of councils, especially councillors.

Most bin services are contracted out anyway. If we don't have councils who's going to provide social care? Councils do loads more than empty bins and cut grass :rolleyes:

Soldato
Its the same where I live. The council did say on there website that if they had not been collected then take them back in and put them out again next week. Unfortunately some people seemingly have not got the message and now there is litter on the road as the sea gulls have had a good go.

Man of Honour
Just remember, not only do they set out to delberately inconvenience you as part of their poorly supported blackmail strategy, the ultimate aim of the action is to get the government to take more money from you and give it to them...

Soldato
Ours were meant to be emptied on Thursday too. The bin men who didn't strike were working overtime to clear the backlog but still didn't make it to my street. Council say they may come back on Monday but might not. If they don't, council say they won't be back until next fortnightly collection.

And despite all this, most people have still left their stinky overflowing bins out in the street. Some people just have no respect for themselves or where they live.

I'm looking for a reduction in my council tax then if they are going to miss a collection.

Am I meant to support their strike action, they are probably already have a better deal than me so no.

Last edited:

jcr

jcr

Associate
Find out where your local councillors live and empty your rubbish In their gardens.
Then put a little present through the letterbox

Man of Honour
Find out where your local councillors live and empty your rubbish In their gardens.
Then put a little present through the letterbox

How is it their fault? They weren't striking. Are you suggesting that local councillors should capitulate to blackmail? What other budgets should be cut to make up the shortfall?

Back
Top Bottom