industrial action by council is absolutely rubbish (pun intended)

Soldato
So, thursday our bins were meant to be emptied, this happens every 2 weeks,

so they decide to strike.. Ok, not a problem, pick up the bins on the friday right?

wrong.

our bin wont be emptied until the 24th July.

4 weeks since the last collection? In this heat, anything that can perish in the bin will be gross after 14 days, nevermind 28.

they moan when we dont pay council tax on time etc, but dont mind leaving bins for a month =(

Also, they normally say "dont leave bags outside of the bin as this will encourage foxes and other creatures" and now they want us to if the bin gets full?!

Industrial Action - Update
Waste Collection

No waste collection services were undertaken on Thursday 10th July 2014. If your bin was scheduled for collection on Thursday, we will collect side waste with your bin collection on 24 July 2014.

Side waste is defined as follows:

Grey bin: up to 3 black bags

Green bin: No bagged waste, please contain the recyclables within a cardboard box

Garden waste: Please present the garden waste in an unsealed bag.

Blue box: Please present any additional glass in a sturdy open box.

Trade waste collections: Please leave your bin accessible, as above. If you do not receive a collection, we will accept side waste along with your next collection.

Published on Thursday 10 July 2014, 9:31 AM

Should i ring them up and have a cry? Oh, and we were told around a hour after they normally come and pick the bins up, so our street STILL have most of the bins sat outside their houses =(

Soldato
OP
on the council website and twitter they told us that they would be emptied on the saturday (so tomorrow) but no, now they have made us wait the extra 2 weeks instead.

they have blatently lied to us.

We have paid for our bins to be collected. they havnt been.

Soldato
OP
i couldnt give a toss if they have a little "were not getting our way so were gonna sit at home and do nothing day" i just want my bin emptied. i might pay my council tax minus say 20 quid or something this time round, or just say "sorry, im going to go on strike that day, so you will just have to wait till the following month for it, i will give you 50% extra that day though so that you dont feel hard done by"

I bet the morons wouldnt accept that so im not sure why we should.

Soldato
OP
Ask your local councillor.

I know we don't ordinarily collect refuse on a Saturday. 99% of council employees work Mon-Fri, most offices are closed at weekends. Striking then collecting the overtime for Saturday to cover the missed work - how would that look?

probably would look the same as lying through their teeth like they usually do.

its amazing, around christmas they were able to collect everyones bins, even when not working a few of the days?

Soldato
OP
I won't try and reason with you, it would likely be a waste of my time.

Probably as you havnt made a valid point, i would listen if you had. At christmas, the routes seem to be changed so all bins can be collected, they don't collect them at the weekends from what ive seen, or at any crazy time of the day they just do certain areas on different days (add them to their usual route etc) so why not now?

We pay for this service, if it was us just saying "sorry, cant be arsed to pay this month, il just give you a little extra next month" we would soon know about it.

Itrk2Xh.jpg

thats what they said, they should stick to it.

Collecting it 4 weeks after it was last emptied is disgusting.

Soldato
OP
I haven't read past the first page of this thread, but some of the responses (and the OP) are just pathetic.

It's a bin. It's not really that big a deal, get a grip on yourself. First world problems, jesus...

Also, the bin collection is such a minutely small part of the council tax charge saying you want a reduction for one missed collection is ridiculous, if it wasn't so childishly self entitled it would be hilarious.

I'm not saying councils are great value at all, the wasteful use of our money is another matter entirely, but they deal with a lot more important issues than your bin missing one collection.

Education, social care, homelessness, etc. Just step back a moment and get some perspective.

Its ok for you, you live in blackpool, it always looks like there has been no bin collections there, some of us actually like to have a nice clean environment to live in.

Soldato
OP
yeah, the houses on there arent where we are haha, they are further up the road into the built up areas, i cant really put the post code as there are only 3 houses anywhere near it :/

8 acres of land, 5 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, 1 room with an arger and a few sofas (again, no idea what that room would be called, 3 bogs, out houses, barns, washing rooms etc etc.... not the normal stoke house for sure :D (this is the fathers house btw not mine, i live in a 2 up 2 down town house for the other half of my time)

not sure why that house on there is worth 795,000 though? hardly any land, nothing to note really, has neighbors really close to them etc etc it looks to be a similar size to my dads, but without the land, and id only have thought my dads was worth around 500 - 600,000 :o (ok, the finish to that one is "prettier" but my dads is a farm/small holding so white just wouldn't work haha.

the 800,000 one is nicer, would expect a bit more land though :/

then again, if i was going to be spending that kind of money, i wouldnt be living in blackpool!#

Oh, and update on the bins! after a phone call, they emptied it this morning!!! now ive got to wait 4 weeks for my recycle bin instead, which i couldnt give a toss about, at least the recycle bin wont stink :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yeah, i know some of the surrounding areas are quite nice tbh.

I was just really dissapointed the last time i went tbh!

me and a friend (my friend used to live there, his parents still do, they used to own a hotel there..) and we were looking to find a venue for a LAN party, up to 100 people.

We wanted an out of season LAN, were willing to pay (a lot) and thought that it would be a good place because of the many hotels/b&bs etc.

In the end, we spent all day walking to all the hotels, and 90% of them were just terrible. the whole area is just going beyond repair =( My friend was gutted (he grew up there!!) its just been ruined by drunken hen and stag parties, with all hotels having to cut the costs to lower than they can really afford!

Back
Top Bottom