industrial action by council is absolutely rubbish (pun intended)

Soldato
Because the taxpayers/voters want them to and it would be preferable to having rubbish uncollected for 4 weeks.

They've also not had to pay them on Thursday which would offset the overtime presumably.

You don't get it.

If they offered overtime to catchup on the Saturday, the workers who striked would be financially better off by striking.

Soldato
And what would happen to inflation if everyone had a raise above the current rate?

They've had no rise at all for five years. That is certainly the case where I work and this year we got a 1.5% rise, the first rise in years and given it is lower than the inflation rate it isn't effectively a rise at all.

If you think bin men have been getting above-inflation rises year on year and are striking now because that is being threatened then you don't understand the issue.

Soldato
They can be in my jurisdiction. We collect them in your food waste caddy which is taken weekly.

Well, you clearly have a far better council than me :p

Pretty sure we get no recycling collection, we don't get bins at all, so all rubbish has to go in black bags unless we fancy driving it down to the tip every day :p

But on a more philosophical note, no one is forcing you to eat boned meat. It is waste that you have produced after all.

That's a bit of a stupid argument.

No-one forces me to drive either, does that mean the council are free to stop repairing the roads?

Soldato
That's a bit of a stupid argument.

No-one forces me to drive either, does that mean the council are free to stop repairing the roads?

Sorry I was merely musing a philiosphical point rather than saying the council should stop offering services.

It's more about how people attitudes change from 'this is my responsibility and I own it' when something is new and the are using it to the complete opposite of 'I'm not responisble this this now and the council own it' when they have used it.

Look at this way, you don't expect the council to go and get the joint of beef for you. You will happikly drive miles to get something you want. But when you no longer want it, you ar not prepared (or reluctant) to drive to dispose of it.

I'm not having a pop at you, everyone holds this paradoxial attitude to things. I'm more making a general point about human psychology which I find interesting.

Associate
I haven't read past the first page of this thread, but some of the responses (and the OP) are just pathetic.

It's a bin. It's not really that big a deal, get a grip on yourself. First world problems, jesus...

Also, the bin collection is such a minutely small part of the council tax charge saying you want a reduction for one missed collection is ridiculous, if it wasn't so childishly self entitled it would be hilarious.

I'm not saying councils are great value at all, the wasteful use of our money is another matter entirely, but they deal with a lot more important issues than your bin missing one collection.

Education, social care, homelessness, etc. Just step back a moment and get some perspective.

Associate
You don't get it.

If they offered overtime to catchup on the Saturday, the workers who striked would be financially better off by striking.

Scottish Government employees wouldn't get overtime rates until they made up their usual hours. Other public sector organisations are missing a trick if they do otherwise.

Soldato
Sorry I was merely musing a philiosphical point rather than saying the council should stop offering services.

It's more about how people attitudes change from 'this is my responsibility and I own it' when something is new and the are using it to the complete opposite of 'I'm not responisble this this now and the council own it' when they have used it.

Look at this way, you don't expect the council to go and get the joint of beef for you. You will happikly drive miles to get something you want. But when you no longer want it, you ar not prepared (or reluctant) to drive to dispose of it.

I'm not having a pop at you, everyone holds this paradoxial attitude to things. I'm more making a general point about human psychology which I find interesting.

we pay for the council to dispose of it....

i dont pay them to pick up my shopping..

This.

If I paid Morrisons to deliver my shopping, and then they turned round and told me I had to collect it instead, I'd be well within my rights to complain, and get a refund/insist they deliver it, but for some reason, if it's the council that aren't providing a service they are paid for, it's perfectly fine, and I just have to suck it up because I'm a captive customer and I'm threatened with fines and prison if I don't pay for the service I'm not receiving? :confused:

I haven't read past the first page of this thread, but some of the responses (and the OP) are just pathetic.

It's a bin. It's not really that big a deal, get a grip on yourself. First world problems, jesus...

It may surprise you to find that the UK is considered a first world country, therefore first world problems are quite relevant here ;).

Also, the bin collection is such a minutely small part of the council tax charge saying you want a reduction for one missed collection is ridiculous, if it wasn't so childishly self entitled it would be hilarious..

How many missed collections would it take for it to not be "childishly self-entitled"?

For me at least, this is the 4-5th time this year the rubbish has not been collected/been collected 3-4 days late.

I make an effort to keep my house and garden tidy, and having 20-30 bin bags piled up at the end of the drive, which cats/foxes rip open resulting in rubbish all over the road, pavement, my drive, my lawn and in my hedge is not conducive to this.

Soldato
Haggisman I am confused your location is set as Birmingham and I know dam well they provide normal waste and recycling collections as they spend a fortune doing it, have you moved to another country as every authority in England, Scotland and Wales and Ireland has to provide waste collections and recycle at least two types of material, so either your not looking hard enough or cant be bothered.

The one thing thats clear is that people do not take or feel any responsiblity for the waste they produce the Council I work for provides a recycling bin but we dont do a refuse bin, you can buy one for £25 from the local shop but people would rather allow the bags to get ripped open week after week then spend £25. I have brought and owned a bin for the past 8 years best investment I made no mess to clear up, its your rubbish afterall, no way on earth would I ever allow that many bags to pile up its disgusting and if you allowing that to happen out of spite then more fool you thats like 4-8 weeks worth of rubbish.

We provide a weekly collection of up to 5 black bags and people still moan its not enough, some councils collect 2 bags a week, my take on it is turn it into another household bill and see if your get it for 50p a week good luck with that...

Caporegime
They've had no rise at all for five years. That is certainly the case where I work and this year we got a 1.5% rise, the first rise in years and given it is lower than the inflation rate it isn't effectively a rise at all.

If you think bin men have been getting above-inflation rises year on year and are striking now because that is being threatened then you don't understand the issue.

Where have I said they have? My post was in direct response to the other poster...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

And what would happen to inflation if everyone had a raise above the current rate?

Not a lot. Salaries don't form a huge part of the cost of goods (things like premises, energy costs, IT infrastructure and distribution represent a greater porportion).

It's like the old myth that increasing minimum wages will increase the cost of goods when in reality wages form a miniscule proportion of the cost of goods. Something like a 10% increase in min wage would only represent an increase of 0.1% of the cost of most supermarket items for example.

Soldato
Haggisman I am confused your location is set as Birmingham and I know dam well they provide normal waste and recycling collections as they spend a fortune doing it, have you moved to another country as every authority in England, Scotland and Wales and Ireland has to provide waste collections and recycle at least two types of material, so either your not looking hard enough or cant be bothered.

Yes they provide "weekly" collections. The problem is, those collections are supposed to be on Thursday, usually - i.e. about half the time - it's around 10am-noon on the Thursday. Some days it's at 5am, which means I miss the collection (I put the bags out when I leave for work at 7.30, so they're not out all night and cats/foxes get into them). The rest of the time they come on Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, or don't bother coming at all till the next Thursday.

I've never seen a recycling lorry come round, it's always been just one lorry that everything gets put into.

I do put aside glass bottles/jars, plastic bottles, and tins to take to the tip every month or 2, but it means having to make space for them, which isn't exactly convenient.

The one thing thats clear is that people do not take or feel any responsiblity for the waste they produce the Council I work for provides a recycling bin but we dont do a refuse bin, you can buy one for £25 from the local shop but people would rather allow the bags to get ripped open week after week then spend £25. I have brought and owned a bin for the past 8 years best investment I made no mess to clear up, its your rubbish afterall, no way on earth would I ever allow that many bags to pile up its disgusting and if you allowing that to happen out of spite then more fool you thats like 4-8 weeks worth of rubbish.

I would buy a bin, but I can't see it still being there after the first week of being left out. If one of the locals didn't have it, one of the rag and bone men probably would, and I'm not spending an extra £100/month on bins! :p

Regarding the 30-40 bags, only 2-3 of them are ours. Unfortunately, we live on the corner of the road, and everyone on the road dumps their bags on the corner, so other than asking people to leave their bags somewhere else (which just makes it someone else's problem), there's not really much I can do about that....

We provide a weekly collection of up to 5 black bags and people still moan its not enough, some councils collect 2 bags a week, my take on it is turn it into another household bill and see if your get it for 50p a week good luck with that...

I'd gladly pay an extra £10/month on my council tax if it meant the recycling was collected, and the rubbish was collected consistently.

Caporegime
Not a lot. Salaries don't form a huge part of the cost of goods (things like premises, energy costs, IT infrastructure and distribution represent a greater porportion).

Why just look at cost of producing goods - relatively few people are employed in roles directly related to producing goods. Price of goods is also related to demand... and if everyone gets a big pay rise... what happens to spending, house prices etc... Do salaries have an impact in service industries? What happens to the cost of service?

It isn't sustainable so by default some people will get below inflation increases or even freezes/cuts to pay.

Soldato

Also, the bin collection is such a minutely small part of the council tax charge saying you want a reduction for one missed collection is ridiculous, if it wasn't so childishly self entitled it would be hilarious.

I'm not saying councils are great value at all, the wasteful use of our money is another matter entirely, but they deal with a lot more important issues than your bin missing one collection.

Education, social care, homelessness, etc. Just step back a moment and get some perspective.

Like I said, I don't allocate budgets, it isn't my fault the waste collection gets a tiny percent of my council tax and council management get £100k+ a year. Therefore, regarldess of what I pay for the service, the service should be completed. If those employees that carry out the service take issue with their pay or the way the system runs, they shouldn't make the paying consumer suffer for that. They should take the issue up their chain of command.

It looks like you work for the council though, so your opinion will be bias regardless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jesus, Haggis sounds as if your local council are an utter load of crap.

We collect on bank holidays the only two days we don't go out are Xmas day and New Years day and as a resident informed me recently you could set your alarm clock using the guys as they are so regular on the day they come.

To give you guys an idea of how we run things we collect over 5m bins a year and we have a collection miss rate of around 11 bins per 100,000 collections, these are what we class as genuine misses where we have made the mistake, not the ones where the customer has forgotten. If you take into account everything the service I run does 5m collections, emptying around 2500 litter and dog bins a week, around 10,000 visits to keep toilets clean plus all the street cleansing we take a total of around 18,000 calls a year ref the service, but this also includes things like clinical waste and an on demand sharps service which makes up about 3000 of the calls, then we have fly tipping, neighbour complaints and the goofy complaints it gives me about 13,500 complaint issues, work out the percent of complaint to actions its tiny, I do not understand why other Councils have to make everything so difficult.

Soldato
Yes but it isn't everyone having a raise, it's redistribution of the people giving themselves ridiculous pay rises while everyone else gets a pay cut.

In terms of production literally nothing happens, companies don't lower or raise their prices based on cost of labour. They hire as few people as possible and pay them as little as possible, they don't low prices because of it they just bump executive pay for being so "resourceful".

Wages should be linked to the cost of living, it's baffling how long minimum wage has been the same considering the cost of living has risen so much.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think people are asking for an above inflation rate pay increase at the moment I would just be happy to get a pay rise in line with inflation, at the moment I have had pay frozen and then 1%, so items have gone up by 10-20% my pay has gone up by around 3%.

I live in the real world I am not going to get a yearly pay rise of 5-6% but at least in line with inflation will help me feel no worse off, I catch the train to work that's increased, my water, gas and electric bill has increased and part of my Council tax has also increased as not all of them froze it, yet my pay has stayed the same. And lets not even talk about the increase in food bills!

Soldato
OP

Its ok for you, you live in blackpool, it always looks like there has been no bin collections there, some of us actually like to have a nice clean environment to live in.

Back
Top Bottom