Inheritance, what will you do?

Associate
My family are poor so no real worries about this. Last set of grandparents who had potential assets to bequeath had to spend them on healthcare at the end.

I'm not going to have kids so not sure what I'll do with anything I have. Will probably be minimal anyway. Hope to have a house but may need to use that for healthcare too. If I've got anything left at the end I'm going to spend it all on loads of prozzies and hope to have a massive heart attack to finish me off. :p

Soldato
Equal shares is fairest unless there are mitigating circumstances like a disability, unfortunate life event etc. And in that case try to explain why to everyone. Sometimes you just can't win and just have to accept that.

Soldato
Unfortunately I've nothing of value to leave my kids :( Looking at the replies on here, that fact depresses me but it is what it is.

Most people don't and no point feeling bad over it as no child should really care anyway, time and memories together are more important. I'd rather receive some sentimental things which actually mean something rather than assets to be sold off.

Much rather my parents spent what little savings they have on themselves and enjoy it rather than worrying about inheritance or seeing it all go on healthcare.

Associate
Most people don't and no point feeling bad over it as no child should really care anyway, time and memories together are more important. I'd rather receive some sentimental things which actually mean something rather than assets to be sold off.

Much rather my parents spent what little savings they have on themselves and enjoy it rather than worrying about inheritance or seeing it all go on healthcare.

Most people don't? Not true I think. Over 75% of people aged 65+ are homeowners, the highest it's ever been at. That's a large asset just by itself. In some cases much of that might go on healthcare but you'd have to be quite unlucky for that to happen.

As we sadly don't know how long we're going to live I'll have plenty of assets when I die and will split them evenly between any kids.

Soldato
Give them a relatively small equal amount each and the rest to charity. Money tends to bring out the worst in people.

Soldato
I would go with equal share unless, as pointed out before in this thread, there is a large wealth discrepancy. The example given was a good one - one goes into Investment Banking and the other decided to focus on charity work, be a nurse, etc. They have not been lazy in life but just don't have the same money.

However the split would not be large enough to cause some resentment, just say 60/40.

Also, little tip. If you want to leave someone out of your will and they may have a claim to it (a child you have disowned for whatever reason, a sister/brother who is your only sibling and would get the money) then the easiest way to make sure they cannot contest, or at least make it very hard to contest is to recognise them in the will. Leave the a paltry sum, a few hundred. It's a lot harder to make a case around not getting enough than it is 'I was forgotten and it was an oversight'.

Soldato
Giving all my meagre goods and chattels to a cat charity I see no reason to leave anything to my family though shmbo will get the house. As to my son, he has been a pain most of my life and will get zilch. Shame I won't be around to see the look on his face.

Soldato
If there was a great disparity between the current and likely future wealth (based on circumstances at time of my death) between two or more kids I currently don't have, I would leave any inheritance unequally.

Soldato
Equal although only have one kid so she's getting the lot :)

Well what's left, I keep telling my dad to spend what he's got on himself and enjoy it but he's determined to make sure my brother and I get a lump sum to help us later in life. To hell with that, I say he should be out doing what he wants with his money!

Soldato
I'm going to be on the receiving end of this (2 children) and expecting nothing more than a fair split. If I get more I'll more than likely find some way of squaring things up with my sister.

What would I do in the future? I'd split things equally as well.

Caporegime
Equal or perhaps based on need, although I'd make sure everyone was happy with the split.

As an example I wouldn't have an issue if my sister got more than me, allowing her to buy a house which she can't afford at the moment as she's doing teacher training. My other sister and I both have houses.

Back
Top Bottom