install php and mysql quickly on pc

tried this before, managed to get it working and then screwed it up making my pc very weird for a while so kind of scared to do it again.

looking to get php and mysql again but in a installer that i click next next next and away it goes, sorts it all out for my pc and i can read php files.

i know i can google but thought best be safe and see what you guys reccomend

thanks

[edit]

i can't bveleive i just did this, can a mod please move this thread to html and programming section

thanks

Deleted member 64478

D

Deleted member 64478

to do it properly there aint no easy way. This is why VMware and so call software is for unless you got a real server. Putting it on a pc can cause all sorts of troubles.

Soldato
Yeah just use XAMPP or XAMPP Lite, they don't install anything and are ideal for development purposes. It runs as a standalone app so you can easy start/stop and restart the individual services.

Soldato
OP
Quoted for truth.

One word of warning though, the XAMPP install is suitable for local development only, and should not be used for real world web serving until you've gone through and re-worked all the security settings.

thats great, thanks everyone. getting it now, just hope i don't screw this one up.

can someone test if they can start downloading this? i trie to download the installer and it just hangs tehre doing nothing and eventually times out, so tried zip and exe both same problem.

wondering if its my end or theres?

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't use these xamp things. :( Your development environment should match your production environment, and you should never ever use these silly little packages in a production environment.

You'll get a better setup with less issues if you take the 5 minutes it takes to do it manually.

Associate
Don't use these xamp things. :( Your development environment should match your production environment, and you should never ever use these silly little packages in a production environment.

You'll get a better setup with less issues if you take the 5 minutes it takes to do it manually.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, most people are more interested in getting straight to the coding and don't want to spend hours configuring and installing apache / php / mysql, which is fair enough. If you're developing in Windows and your live hosting is Linux, then you're more likely to have issues with dependencies than php / mysql config so using an all-in-one isn't a big deal.

If you stick to good programming practices and avoid crap like magic_quotes / register_globals then the differences between dev & production environments should rarely come back to bite.

Soldato
Yeah if you write your code properly then it should be portable. You shouldn't have dependencies upon server settings as it's bad practise.

Sic

Sic

Soldato

tried installing PHP and MySQL to the latest version on OSX? Takes way more than 5 minutes.

And if you write decent code, it should work the same on all servers (providing you install any extensions that you need)

Deleted member 64478

D

Deleted member 64478

Like i was stating, but jackasses here dissagreed. lol :p

Back
Top Bottom