Installing windows vista help

Associate
Hi Folks,

I currently have a copy of windows vista home premium oem on my gaming pc. I am building a HTPC and have all my components now but I am just waiting for my second copy of vista HP which should be here tomorrow. What I want to do is install windows and get my HTPC up and running tonight but not type in the serial key (as that key belongs to my gaming PC) and when my second copy turns up I can just type that key in and activate my media centre.

Can I do this or do I have to install windows off the dvd that comes with the key? Also, if I can do this is there any drawback to installing all my media centre software etc on a pc that has not yet been activated?

My last question is my second copy of Vista comes with an upgrade voucher for windows 7. Would I be able to use this voucher on my gaming PC or would have to be somehow linked to the copy of windows it came with?

Hopefully that's all clear!

Thanks

Matt

Associate
All the answers to your questions are yes :), you may use the dvd u already have to install vista then activate it when your new DVD arrives- aslong as you install the same version as the key thats coming tomorrow. and you will be able to install all media centre programs no problem. In regards to windows 7 voucher it will also be fine as long as you only use it once (as thats all you can use it :D)

Caporegime
You can do what you are planning to do without problem :)

As for the upgrade voucher, I would assume the EULA for the Windows 7 Upgrade stipulates that you need a valid Vista license, however I wouldn't assume that it states it needs to be the one the voucher came with. I have not read the EULA for Windows 7 upgrade vouchers however so am not 100% certain.

Associate
OP
Thanks, that's good to know.

The only thing I was thinking of was the type of vista dvd. They are both home premium oem however do later ones come with service packs/ updates on etc but the key I already have is for an older version without service packs.

Associate
it will make no difference as you can download all service packs and updates via windows update. so it might take up around 2 hours extra of your time while you download and install updates depending on how old your "old" vista dvd is

Back
Top Bottom