• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Alder Lake Non-K OC! 12600 @ 5200Mhz

Soldato
Is it only the Asus DDR5 boards that allow BCLKing then?

They are the only boards that *I know* that have an external BCLK clock generator on them, but that doesn't mean there are not others. But even so when 32GB of crap/low end DDR5 is £360, no amount of overlocking a 12400F or whatever makes that good value.

Soldato
I corrected it for you.

It's actually the availability that's the main problem with DDR5. Some shops were offering DDR5 4800mhz 16GB kits for around £130, but they didn't receive stock to forfill these orders.

I think you can sometimes buy OK priced modules on Ebay, if you are lucky.

The 16GB kit prices should eventually come down. I think the components for DDR5 are expensive at the moment, so they've been saving these parts for the larger capacity modules *speculation*.

Soldato
It's actually the availability that's the main problem with DDR5. Some shops were offering DDR5 4800mhz 16GB kits for around £130, but they didn't receive stock to forfill these orders.

I think you can sometimes buy OK priced modules on Ebay, if you are lucky.

The 16GB kit prices should eventually come down. I think the components for DDR5 are expensive at the moment, so they've been saving these parts for the larger capacity modules *speculation*.
I bet a few of us are waiting for ddr5 to hit the sweet spot, i ain't pullin the trigger just yet.

Soldato
I found one website selling 8GB DDR5 modules for £80 each. Not cheap, but maybe it indicates that prices could improve in the next 3-6 months on lower capacity modules.

And another website listing a 16GB kit for <£170, but out of stock.

Also, Crucial's website is listing their 8GB module price as £59.99, but of course no retailers have them in stock.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, works on B660 ASUS Strix board(s) like I said further back, all DDR5, no DDR4 boards. So £240-270 board and £250+ for your RAM for your £180 CPU.

So a total and utter waste of time right now, just a get a 12700K/12600K and a cheaper Z690 DDR4 board for the same cost.

I did the same thing with my 9th gen build. Instead of going for the 9900K, I opted for the 9600KF, as it overclocks very well and will close the gap in gaming performance relative to the 9900K quite quickly. Plus I didnt have to go all out on cooling (but I did anyway lol) I think the same value applies here to the 12600K in relation to the 12900K, and as others have already illuded to, for ADL it's probably the best bang for your buck.

MSI has a utility that allows software OC from within windows (dragon center), and I believe a few other manufactures do as well. So it should work on some of the cheaper boards, but I cant say for certain.

Back
Top Bottom