• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Alder Lake Non-K OC! 12600 @ 5200Mhz

Man of Honour
I am a bit out of touch and confused. I just purchased a 12700k and posted in a forum for my motherboard about best way to overclock, as my 6700k is overclocked to 4.5 and that's what was the norm.

However all the replies were "it's not what you do anymore" or "it's not worth it"
There will be some exceptions but generally overclocking isn't what it used to be, modern chips are kind of reliant on 'out the box overclocking' via boosting/turbo etc, it's all some big equation around clocks, temps and voltages that gets managed behind the scenes now. To be honest, overclocking nowadays seems to be as much about optimising the parameters that are used for all that stuff, to allow the system to maintain higher clocks for longer. The days of buying a chip with a speed of X and then just going in and setting higher multipliers/FSB with perhaps a tad more vcore are largely behind us.

A by-product of this is that the binning of chips is likely 'more accurate' these days i.e. if your silicon is going to come out well from that equation then it will likely be sold as one of the higher end chips. This suppresses traditional overclocking even more because the oldschool option of just buying a cheap lower clocked part that's probably just been binned that way for market segmentation and setting the clockspeed to that of the flagship often isn't that straightforward.

Soldato
So, apparently you can configure the CPU BCLK with boards such as the ASRock B660 Steel Legend, according to this:
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel...ocked-to-over-5ghz-up-to-25-performance-gain/

which you might be able to buy for around £160, but it's quite a new board so I don't know.

Combine with a 12400 or 12700 (or respective F variants), should work nicely.

Also, Intel will say "OOMMM you're naughty" if you do this.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, apparently you can configure the CPU BCLK with boards such as the ASRock B660 Steel Legend, according to this:
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel...ocked-to-over-5ghz-up-to-25-performance-gain/

which you might be able to buy for around £160.

Combine with a 12400 or 12700 (or respective F variants), should work nicely.

Also, Intel will say "OOMMM your naughty" if you do this.
I've already downloaded both the bios just incase if indeed the steel legend does turn out to support this.

Soldato
Shame ... could have been an epic sub-£330 build - 12400f+16gb ddr4.

It's extra cost in the design, and extra parts, and when you have semi conductor shortages, and even shortages of basic surface mount components, adding something not required makes no sense. If you look at the layout and design of the ASUS boards that have it they are just a tweaked design of the higher end Z690 boards, and will share a huge amount of parts for economies of scale, it is easier and cheaper not to redesign the actual board and layout if just having to keep a few extra components.

Perhaps they may be some B760 boards that support it, assuming Intel don't knock the BIOS on the head for the non-K parts before then. :)

Soldato
Intel would be foolish to be too heavy handed on BCLKing, they are in for a tough year vs Zen3D and Zen 4 desktop later this year.

Soldato
I’m pretty sure this decision would be down to the bean counters. Alder lake sales aren’t great and all the big vendors will want to sell Intel Arc graphics cards so will toe the Intel line.

Soldato
I'm guessing no one else actually has one yet, to confirm or deny this.

Most likely thing seems to be that it won't support this.

Soldato
I'm guessing no one else actually has one yet, to confirm or deny this.

Most likely thing seems to be that it won't support this.

I've literally been told by ASRock.

EDIT: I've added a screen to stop the arguments back and forth. I have been told by my FAE for IMB, and also generic ASRock support.

6GxiazN.png

EDIT 2: For clarification also, the exact question asked was if *any* B660 board has an external BCLK clock generator, and if so do any of the B660 have a BIOS that support BCLK overclocking for *any* CPU e.g. i5 12400, or i5 12600 (non-K).

Last edited:
Soldato
Interested if the D4 has it. Some i3 overclocking on the cards if so.
The bclk doesn't work on my d4 on bios 901 or 1001 beta. Works fine on the apex. Does 5.2ghz easily and the i3 is really easy to cool compared to the 12900k

image_id_2627543.jpg

image_id_2628040.jpeg

image_id_2628056.jpg

Soldato
@Journey - Thanks, its fine we believe you.

I think it's a case of Intel restricting the features of the cheaper boards, just like they used to restrict memory overclocking on many boards.

I doubt these external clock generator chips would be an expensive motherboard component...

I suppose it's just a case of waiting for DDR5 board prices to come down, for anyone interested in BCLKing Alder Lake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom