• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Application Optimizer (APO) now working on 12th and 13th gen CPUs

Soldato
Previous thread announcing this is now locked. :(

This is now working on i7 and i9 from the 12th and 13th gen. But there are some hoops.
  • You need a BIOS which includes the Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology option and enable it.
  • You need the Intel DTT driver which supports 12th and 13th gen, currently this is v9.0.11405.42569.
  • You need the latest APO app from the Microsoft Store.
It is meant to support i3 and i5 but I haven’t seen any reports of success yet.
It is working fine on my 13700K and Z690.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
True, but if you happen to be playing one of the games (currently 14) it might be worth it.

I’ve seen reports that the latest BIOS from ASUS now adds support for 12th gen. I’ve edited the first post to reflect this.

Last edited:
Soldato
This would be interesting if it were at BIOS level.

I'll not be bothering installing random Intel tat to get a few more frames, want my LTSC installation to be as bloat-free as possible.

Soldato
What's LTSC?
Totally bare bones install of Windows 10. Less/no bloat and pretty much noting installed apart from the OS.

What is Windows LTSC?

The long-term servicing channel (LTSC)

With the LTSC servicing model, you can delay receiving feature updates and instead only receive monthly quality updates on devices. Features from Windows 10 that could be updated with new functionality, including Microsoft Edge and in-box Windows apps, are also not included.

Soldato
Totally bare bones install of Windows 10. Less/no bloat and pretty much noting installed apart from the OS.

Guessing if you have nothing installed apart from windows 10 you won't be needing this Intel application optimizer

What do you use this system with nothing installed for ? For just browsing the internet ? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Totally bare bones install of Windows 10.
In that case you certainly won't be bothering. It is Windows 11 only (I guess it relies on the improved scheduler).
The driver install footprint is 23MB. The UI app is 10MB. That is not too bad compared to all the junk that a typical audio driver installs.

Last edited:
Associate
How about a Windows 11 option? Could I take my boat out?
Also wouldn't a completely bare bones install be unstable? Or is it the case you just install what you want and it's fine? What about emulation? I wanna set up a portion of my space for Dreamcast and GameCube emus. Sorry for so many questions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also wouldn't a completely bare bones install be unstable? Or is it the case you just install what you want and it's fine? What about emulation? I wanna set up a portion of my space for Dreamcast and GameCube emus. Sorry for so many questions.
Yes there are tools to de-bloat Windows 11 or there are places where you can get them already done. (Make sure you already have an authenticate license)

I've been using a de-bloated version of Windows for years with very few issues that I need to fix. For example after booting up I have ~60 services running in the background, compare that to the ~130 for a new clean boot on standard Win11 or nearer to ~200 that I've seen many of my friends have after a year old installation. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The driver install footprint is 23MB. The UI app is 10MB. That is not too bad compared to all the junk that a typical audio driver installs.

From what I've read APO basically makes use of the E-Cores in a way we were originally led to believe they were supposed to work!

Thanks for posting this as I can see a couple games on the list that I'm going to start playing so it will be interesting to see how much difference it makes.

• F1 2022
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Strange Brigade
  • World War Z
  • Dirt 5
  • World of Warcraft
  • Final Fantasy 14
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • World of Tanks
  • Dreams Three Kingdoms 2
  • Serious Sam 4
  • Watch Dogs: Legion

Soldato
I wouldn't put much thought into it. There are still special people running Windows 7 barebone for "Internet and gaming", claiming it's faster and superior to W10, W11 etc.

Fact of the matter is, for maximum performance with current gen CPU's/GPU's, you need Windows 11. Anything else means you're giving up performance.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't put much thought into it. There are still special people running Windows 7 barebone for "Internet and gaming", claiming it's faster and superior to W10, W11 etc.

Fact of the matter is, for maximum performance with current gen CPU's/GPU's, you need Windows 11. Anything else means you're giving up performance.

Debatable for gaming - disable e-cores and stick with overclocked 8/16 on Windows 7 likely still gives competitive, if not superior, performance without the BS Windows 10/11 do in the background - most games don't really benefit from more than 6/12, some 8/16, few truly utilise the full raft of cores on newer CPUs hence the 7800X3D is still one of and often is the fastest gaming CPU. Although my Windows 11 setup with some light tweaking on the 14700K is pretty comparable in terms of underlying responsiveness (latency) to my heavily tweaked Xeon 1650 V2 on Windows 7, though the 14700K is considerably faster for performance especially with the 4080 Super.

With some of the latest CPUs getting some of the hardware devices like USB controllers working, or fully stable, under Windows 7 can be problematic though.

EDIT: Though some games don't even work with 7 now and/or were written specifically to use Windows 11 features even when they would run just as well or better under Windows 7.

Last edited:
Soldato
Debatable for gaming - disable e-cores and stick with overclocked 8/16 on Windows 7 likely still gives competitive, if not superior, performance without the BS Windows 10/11 do in the background - most games don't really benefit from more than 6/12, some 8/16, few truly utilise the full raft of cores on newer CPUs hence the 7800X3D is still one of and often is the fastest gaming CPU. Although my Windows 11 setup with some light tweaking on the 14700K is pretty comparable in terms of underlying responsiveness (latency) to my heavily tweaked Xeon 1650 V2 on Windows 7, though the 14700K is considerably faster for performance especially with the 4080 Super.

With some of the latest CPUs getting some of the hardware devices like USB controllers working, or fully stable, under Windows 7 can be problematic though.

EDIT: Though some games don't even work with 7 now and/or were written specifically to use Windows 11 features even when they would run just as well or better under Windows 7.

I'm clearly being bainted/trolled here. Windows 7 does not give superior performance with a 7950x3d/i9 Raptor Lake, Windows 11 does. Will leave to mods and will not debate further.

Man of Honour
I'm clearly being bainted/trolled here. Windows 7 does not give superior performance with a 7950x3d/i9 Raptor Lake, Windows 11 does. Will leave to mods and will not debate further.

In a purely gaming context most of the advanced features of those CPUs are underused or not utilised for gaming, some exceptions aside, and can be disabled or configured out, at the expense of general purpose performance or power efficiency, at a BIOS level.

The vast majority of games still perform best with a small number of very fast cores and usually less than 12 CPU threads total. Which is why the 7800X3D generally matches or beats the 7950X3D and even the i9s for gaming.

Soldato

Well… no, not really.

8.1 is probably peak Windows. APO for 8.1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom