• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Associate
Perf on the desktop for what I read yesterday was not the concern it was server but more importantly the actual security hole.

I'm still wanting to know why there is an embargo on it when this was known in October ? That with the fact Intel's own CEO dumping stock toward end of November does not help the issue

For AMD the patch does not apply, so not performance hit. For Intel, the patch applies to most processors, whether Windows, Linux or macOs. If you want to be secure from nasty stuff, the patch is wanted. Whether desktop or server. The amount of performance hit depends on what the machine is doing though. There are guesses this will have more impact on servers, but this is still a bit of guesswork at present it seems.

The embargo is to give a chance for the patches to be released before "bad guys" become aware of the weakness and can use it to attack most computers in the world. This is standard when security weaknesses are found - try and get a patch for the issue before telling the world about it. In this case, it seems that it's not a binary "no one knows" then "everyone knows" - awareness has gradually been building since last June it seems.

Permabanned
Lol I just seen this in my feeds I thought it was a load of pop....

So this is a real thing?

I am so sad I went ryzen when I did;), is this how intel managed to make a massive performance jump with sandybridge?

Associate
Perf on the desktop for what I read yesterday was not the concern it was server but more importantly the actual security hole.

I'm still wanting to know why there is an embargo on it when this was known in October ? That with the fact Intel's own CEO dumping stock toward end of November does not help the issue

I'm not sure about October, and Intel's CEO can't just sell stock willy nilly, you can find all of his form 4 filing history here, the sales are made under a 10b5-1 plan to avoid insider trading. A lot of this info is public for a reason.

Caporegime
The embargo is to give a chance for the patches to be released before "bad guys" become aware of the weakness and can use it to attack most computers in the world. This is standard when security weaknesses are found - try and get a patch for the issue before telling the world about it. In this case, it seems that it's not a binary "no one knows" then "everyone knows" - awareness has gradually been building since last June it seems.

Embargo lifts tomorrow doesn't it ?, if so, then the "bad guys" will have about 5 days to become aware of it, as Windows won't get the patch until Patch Tuesday, next week.

Associate
Ironically the 'media' blowing things out of proportion might do more damage to Intel than the actual security flaw :D
But I doubt anyone will cry a river over Intel losing some revenue or their stock tanking.

Associate
AMD has gained 6% and Intel has lost so far about 2.5% but this was before it hit mainstream media. I think your right about it being blown out of proportion will do more damage as it will hurt Intel's security reputation. Question is now, how long did Intel know about this flaw?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure about October, and Intel's CEO can't just sell stock willy nilly, you can find all of his form 4 filing history here, the sales are made under a 10b5-1 plan to avoid insider trading. A lot of this info is public for a reason.

To be fair there is a blackhat event in 2016 that touched on part of this flaw, I'll dig to see if I can find it. was rather in depth iirc

Also here's intel's CEO stock dump I was referring to

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/19/intels-ceo-just-sold-a-lot-of-stock.aspx

Associate
@pete910 but that's not dumping stock, 10b5-1 plans have predetermined dates when a predetermined number of shares are sold in order for insiders (like CEOs) of publicly traded companies to avoid insider trading related issues. That sale was going to happen regardless of any variation in Intel's stock value, most CEOs do 10b5-1s.
That fool.com article is pure fud and they should know better if they're a finance outlet.

Back
Top Bottom