• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-11700K beats Ryzen 9 5950X by 8% in Geekbench 5 single-core benchmark

Caporegime
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...50x-by-8-in-geekbench-5-single-core-benchmark

I was going to buy a 5900X, on release, though couldn't find any in stock. Also wanted the Dark Hero motherboard (passive chipset, I hate small fan noise) but these are unobtainable also.

Looks like this has worked out great for me, as Rocketlake will restore Intel's gaming performance crown, which is the most important metric for me personally. I also favour stability, it's been quite surprising seeing so many memory/motherboard/BIOS issues with the 5000 series on this forum and others, by now the AM4 platform should be Intel levels of stable surely...

Happy that Rocket Lake has been pushed forward, hopefully Intel will flex their 16 fab strong manufacturing might to produce millions of 11th gen CPU's, they can probably produce more in a day than AMD can in a month, due to being contractually obligated to produce millions of PS5/XboxX/S chips with their wafer allocation from TSMC.

Big upgrade to my 6700k inc!
I would hope it is higher than that Dave, that's only 0.6% faster than my stock 5950X which has been tuned with 3800Mhz memory and 1900Mhz FCLK.
c0bj3kj.png
ASUS System Product Name - Geekbench Browser

Soldato
OP
The point is it’s speculation not yet proven. It’s on 14nm so will be power hungry and hot and still has limitations compared to Amd.

Amd already have their CPUs out, they have numerous people who are able to upgrade from the 2nd or 3rd generation chips and when all said and done they will drop the price of the 5000 series to combat Intel. Those that purchase Ryazan can have nearly all the single threaded performance and considerably higher multithreaded performance, without needing expensive cooling on top.

Sorry but I not seeing what is so appealing with the new Intel chips, they stink of desperation from Intel.

As Nvidia's 3000 series has shown us, the majority of gamers don't care about power consumption, as long as the performance is there. It will be the same for CPU's, as long as Intel beats AMD in gaming (which they absolutely will, based on this leak and others) Intel will be more popular and will sell more CPU's.

The 11th gen of desktop CPU's also feature AVX-512, something AMD doesn't have the hardware or software support for, this must be one of the limitations you speak of, though it's AMD's limitation, not Intel's. Intel is pushing developers to use AVX-512 as much as possible, so we'll likely see more and more applications that benefit from this. Kinda Intel's version of Nvidia's Gameworks/RTX.

Soldato
OP
I would hope it is higher than that Dave, that's only 0.6% faster than my stock 5950X which has been tuned with 3800Mhz memory and 1900Mhz FCLK.
c0bj3kj.png
ASUS System Product Name - Geekbench Browser

I believe Intel's 'K' series of CPU will also be capable of overclocking, Matt. Unsure about memory scaling, probably going to loads to learn, with this being Intel's first new architecture since Skylake's debut in 2015.

Also, as I understand it, the 5950X is the most expensive CPU AMD offer in the 5000 series, while the leaked CPU is just an I7. Probably better to compare the i9 11900k vs the 5950x, as they will be the flagships of both ranges.

Can't wait to see performance of stock i7,i9 11th gen vs stock 5800x, 5900x and 5950x in gaming, along with overclocked, memory tuned versions, fun times ahead!

Permabanned
Is it? You'd think it would be a different attitude. Sometimes you wouldn't think it reading some of the members on site articles with so many saying Intel needs to die.
You get that with both sides. Amd nearly did die remember the bribing scandal? They were on the brink of bankruptcy and from that and almost complete market domination from Intel we now have superior cpus being produced by Amd. Competition has changed the whole cpu landscape from 2/4 cores to 6/16 cores. We’ve never had it better.

Permabanned
As Nvidia's 3000 series has shown us, the majority of gamers don't care about power consumption, as long as the performance is there. It will be the same for CPU's, as long as Intel beats AMD in gaming (which they absolutely will, based on this leak and others) Intel will be more popular and will sell more CPU's.

The 11th gen of desktop CPU's also feature AVX-512, something AMD doesn't have the hardware or software support for, this must be one of the limitations you speak of, though it's AMD's limitation, not Intel's. Intel is pushing developers to use AVX-512 as much as possible, so we'll likely see more and more applications that benefit from this. Kinda Intel's version of Nvidia's Gameworks/RTX.
Yeah but it will consume a hell of a lot more for minor single threaded performance gains at 1080p (Anybody still gaming at 1080p?) and a large multi threaded deficit. Sound very appealing.

Soldato
its all leaks but that is the i7 model and it depends on pricing
I7 i9 there is no difference in the two skus other than factory OC. Both are 8c16t parts

anyway the ST performance is soon to be irrelevant as far as gaming is concerned. But the margin is next to nothing. Single digit on geek bench (who knows what the setup is). But if all things equalised then it may well be on par with zen3 or worse.

the earlier leaks of A few ES don’t appear to show the boost clock going very high. So those 5GHz clock is likely to be flash in a pan thing. And intel 14nm requires serious amount of juice to hit top end of its performance. Meaning to get those scores you probably need something fairly exotic in cooling department. The ES are shown to be pulling >200w just at 4.5GHz.

Soldato
OP
Yeah but it will consume a hell of a lot more for minor single threaded performance gains at 1080p (Anybody still gaming at 1080p?) and a large multi threaded deficit. Sound very appealing.

Those 1080P games you mention, that love single thread CPU performance, often only have 2-4 threads, I.E., they only use 2-4 cores of a CPU, regardless of the amount of cores the CPU has. The power consumption of a CPU is determined by how many of the cores/threads at at load. In this scenario, where an 8 core CPU is only using 2-4 cores, the CPU will be running at low levels of power consumption...

If we fire up blender, or Cinebench (applications that use all cores, threads etc), then the CPU will be running at it's maximum power target, consuming the most power.

I'm sure rocketlake will consume more power overall compared to Ryzen in games, though it will be running those games faster, which is the important point. As the Nvidia 3000 series have shown us, the masses don't care about power as long as it takes the performance crown.

Soldato
OP
You get that with both sides. Amd nearly did die remember the bribing scandal? They were on the brink of bankruptcy and from that and almost complete market domination from Intel we now have superior cpus being produced by Amd. Competition has changed the whole cpu landscape from 2/4 cores to 6/16 cores. We’ve never had it better.

I recall many threads/posts mocking AMD when they launched bulldozer, though I don't recall threads where people "wanted AMD to die" - the intelligent amongst us wanted them to do well so that there's competition, and look what we do have now.. competition!

This is a great time for us consumers.

You can tell there are people in this thread that are furious that Intel will beat AMD in gaming, and that Zen 3 took the performance crown for just 3 months from Intel. They genuinely can't accept this and feel threatened.

The rest of us just buy the fastest CPU/GPU available at the price point we're happy with when it comes time to upgrade.

It's time to upgrade for me, I'll be picking the fastest gaming CPU and will enjoy it :)

Soldato
Those 1080P games you mention, that love single thread CPU performance, often only have 2-4 threads, I.E., they only use 2-4 cores of a CPU, regardless of the amount of cores the CPU has. The power consumption of a CPU is determined by how many of the cores/threads at at load. In this scenario, where an 8 core CPU is only using 2-4 cores, the CPU will be running at low levels of power consumption...

If we fire up blender, or Cinebench (applications that use all cores, threads etc), then the CPU will be running at it's maximum power target, consuming the most power.

I'm sure rocketlake will consume more power overall compared to Ryzen in games, though it will be running those games faster, which is the important point. As the Nvidia 3000 series have shown us, the masses don't care about power as long as it takes the performance crown.

power matters cost you need bigger better PSU. If you GPU can peak 350w and your CPU can peak 250w then allowing for fans, motherboard, ram, SSD etc you are looking at min 1000w PSU if you dint want to change PSU ever so often.

GPU power to an extent is irrelevant because it comes with its own cooler so Nvidia/AMD/AIB has to come up with cooling solitons that work.

but CPU, the onerous is on the consumer. So you will be looking at some fairly exotic cooling solutions which again add to cost.

850w to 1000w PSU is like a £80 price hike min.

air cooling or basic AIO to much more substantial AIO is £100 jump. If you need custom loop then sky is the limit.

not to mention all the heat needs to go somewhere so more fans and even more electricity. It’s like a nuclear arms race.

Soldato
I7 i9 there is no difference in the two skus other than factory OC. Both are 8c16t parts

anyway the ST performance is soon to be irrelevant as far as gaming is concerned. But the margin is next to nothing. Single digit on geek bench (who knows what the setup is). But if all things equalised then it may well be on par with zen3 or worse.

the earlier leaks of A few ES don’t appear to show the boost clock going very high. So those 5GHz clock is likely to be flash in a pan thing. And intel 14nm requires serious amount of juice to hit top end of its performance. Meaning to get those scores you probably need something fairly exotic in cooling department. The ES are shown to be pulling >200w just at 4.5GHz.

still all speculation the ES models dont tend to have finalized clocks anyway

Permabanned

Will you be playing at 1080p on that 3080 you have? Or like me do you play at 4K where my cpu does next to nothing. Sorry but like I said those minor single threaded gains (if true) will do nothing for me or you I suspect. You just like banging on your Intel drum.

Soldato
OP
power matters cost you need bigger better PSU. If you GPU can peak 350w and your CPU can peak 250w then allowing for fans, motherboard, ram, SSD etc you are looking at min 1000w PSU if you dint want to change PSU ever so often.

GPU power to an extent is irrelevant because it comes with its own cooler so Nvidia/AMD/AIB has to come up with cooling solitons that work.

but CPU, the onerous is on the consumer. So you will be looking at some fairly exotic cooling solutions which again add to cost.

air cooling or basic AIO to much more substantial AIO is £100 jump. If you need custom loop then sky is the limit.

not to mention all the heat needs to go somewhere so more fans and even more electricity. It’s like a nuclear arms race.

Errrr, not sure if you replied to the wrong thread?

Ryzen 5000 and Intel 11th gen do not require 1000W PSU's, even when coupled with 3080's or 3090's. SLI requires 1000W PSU's though, though SLI is dead these days, so no point beyond benchmarks.

Soldato

I already have an HX1000i PSU actually bought it 5 years ago £125 it was way overkill back then but it seems it was worth it also have the kraken z73 AIO , I want an 8 core bang for buck to upgrade from 6700k and the 5800x for the price doesnt do it for me

Permabanned
I already have an HX1000i PSU actually bought it 5 years ago £125 it was way overkill back then but it seems it was worth it also have the kraken z73 AIO , I want an 8 core bang for buck to upgrade from 6700k and the 5800x for the price doesnt do it for me
Agree with that. One good thing about Intel releasing is we may finally see the 5600/5700x sku’s or at least some price drops.

Soldato
OP
Will you be playing at 1080p on that 3080 you have? Or like me do you play at 4K where my cpu does next to nothing. Sorry but like I said those minor single threaded gains (if true) will do nothing for me or you I suspect. You just like banging on your Intel drum.

Read my signature to see what resolution I game at. You're the one who brought up 1080p, with a silly incorrect statement about how a CPU will run at maximum power consumption in a lightly threaded 1080P game.

You have a 3070 as I recall, so of course you'll be GPU limited at 4K in almost everything.

I have a 3080, which places my quad core 6700k @ 100% load in several games, 4 core 8 thread CPU's now belong in the bin, gaming wise, hence why I'm in the market for a shiny new CPU. I literally get stuttering, drops to 20-30FPS in parts of some games that are heavy on the CPU, such as the towns/cities with loads of NPC's in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, or anywhere in Cyberpunk :D

Also planning to pickup a 3080ti on launch, I got my 3080 back in early November as I was fedup being stuck at 60Hz on my CX48 with my Radeon VII.

Soldato
tbh i think these new intel will be the same price as AMD chips if not more expensive. not sure how intel will be more bang for buck.

historically intel chips are expensive
i7 10700k launched @ £410
i7 9700k launched @ £399
5800x launched @ £419 (price had gone up due to demand but some stores are now returning back to MSRP as stock level is getting decent. certainly 5600X is now below £300)

if you are not in a hurry then wait it out and see which chip is actually faster and better and which is cheaper at the time. i suspect the AMD will be cheaper overall.

Back
Top Bottom