• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-11700K beats Ryzen 9 5950X by 8% in Geekbench 5 single-core benchmark

Soldato
Read my signature to see what resolution I game at. You're the one who brought up 1080p, with a silly incorrect statement about how a CPU will run at maximum power consumption in a lightly threaded 1080P game.

You have a 3070 as I recall, so of course you'll be GPU limited at 4K in almost everything.

I have a 3080, which places my quad core 6700k @ 100% load in several games, 4 core 8 thread CPU's now belong in the bin, gaming wise, hence why I'm in the market for a shiny new CPU. I literally get stuttering, drops to 20-30FPS in parts of some games that are heavy on the CPU, such as the towns/cities with loads of NPC's in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, or anywhere in Cyberpunk :D

Also planning to pickup a 3080ti on launch, I got my 3080 back in early November as I was fedup being stuck at 60Hz on my CX48 with my Radeon VII.
curious, what is your peak CPU power consumption on that 6700k?

now double it and add some more for the rocket lake and see if your PSU can still cope.

that rocket lake is basically another 3080FE by your own post you said if you are running multi GPU then you will be thinking 1000w PSU. So why are you saying you don’t need 1000w for a 250w CPU and a 300w peak GPU?

Last edited:
Associate
Errrr, not sure if you replied to the wrong thread?

Ryzen 5000 and Intel 11th gen do not require 1000W PSU's, even when coupled with 3080's or 3090's. SLI requires 1000W PSU's though, though SLI is dead these days, so no point beyond benchmarks.

yep, SLI/ Dual GPU sure does. The two 2080S I had killed my 1000W Corsair PSU, power spikes can be nasty.

Permabanned
Read my signature to see what resolution I game at. You're the one who brought up 1080p, with a silly incorrect statement about how a CPU will run at maximum power consumption in a lightly threaded 1080P game.

You have a 3070 as I recall, so of course you'll be GPU limited at 4K in almost everything.

I have a 3080, which places my quad core 6700k @ 100% load in several games, 4 core 8 thread CPU's now belong in the bin, gaming wise, hence why I'm in the market for a shiny new CPU. I literally get stuttering, drops to 20-30FPS in parts of some games that are heavy on the CPU, such as the towns/cities with loads of NPC's in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, or anywhere in Cyberpunk :D

Also planning to pickup a 3080ti on launch, I got my 3080 back in early November as I was fedup being stuck at 60Hz on my CX48 with my Radeon VII.
Wow my cpu utilisation is below 50% see if you weren’t such an Intel fanboy you could have been playing on a 3600 or 3700 and then upgraded to a 5000 series. ;)

So basically you agree that these CPU’s only slightly make sense if your gaming at 1080p otherwise that extra 8% is irrelevant to quite a lot of people. You could just a get a 5000 series and enjoy a less power hungry, heat producing and better all around cpu experience.

Caporegime
Wow my cpu utilisation is below 50% see if you weren’t such an Intel fanboy you could have been playing on a 3600 or 3700 and then upgraded to a 5000 series. ;)

So basically you agree that these CPU’s only slightly make sense if your gaming at 1080p otherwise that extra 8% is irrelevant to quite a lot of people. You could just a get a 5000 series and enjoy a less power hungry, heat producing and better all around cpu experience.
And PCI-E 4.0 to go with that GPU. :)

Soldato
tbh i think these new intel will be the same price as AMD chips if not more expensive. not sure how intel will be more bang for buck.

historically intel chips are expensive
i7 10700k launched @ £410
i7 9700k launched @ £399
5800x launched @ £419 (price had gone up due to demand but some stores are now returning back to MSRP as stock level is getting decent. certainly 5600X is now below £300)

if you are not in a hurry then wait it out and see which chip is actually faster and better and which is cheaper at the time. i suspect the AMD will be cheaper overall.

Intel didnt really have much competition when them parts released in gaming anyway ? untill now , I aint in either camp with intel having more 8 core models to choose from we may see AMD respond with lowering price ? or release 5700 ? 5800x at £440 isnt it

Caporegime

Are you going AMD for your upgrade? Can highly recommend over the competition.

Associate
People here don't want to hear that.
This is like a forum run by the AMD union or mafia.
If you talk up the opposition, expect to find a horse's head in your bed or your dog stapled to the garage door.
It's a joke people.
Of course the forum is now very pro AMD, as generally they are well ahead of Intel, are the underdog and don't have the same dubious business practices that Intel had in the past.
Not sure why you need to take this stuff so seriously?
The AMD cult will always be small fry compared to the one true religion that is Apple. :)
Joke, no horse's heads please.

Permabanned
AMD literally cannot produce enough CPU's to take a 10% share of the overall CPU market. They have no fabs, so have to ask TSMC to make their CPU's for them. TSMC are in demand by everyone, so the amount of wafers AMD get is relatively small.

I think your confusing those mindfactory sales graphs with the overall world sales? Mindfactory are just one enthusiast style retailer in Germany, their sales don't reflect the entire world of consumer, business, server, datacentre, embedded and all the other segments. Intel still sells millions more CPU's than AMD buddy.

What you said is all false and wrong.
Mindfactory is only one in Western Europe where this trend is visible everywhere.
Don't listen to Intel - it has been its agenda for decades - AMD can't do this, AMD can't do that - glue first, not reliable, can't make enough chips, even when AMD had its own production lines before 2009.

Intel is trolling AMD - TSMC is 2.5 times larger corporation than Intel and has enough capacity for new production lines and to make as many chips as AMD wants.

There are no supply problems right now - you just need to know where to buy from.

Soldato
Intel didnt really have much competition when them parts released in gaming anyway ? untill now , I aint in either camp with intel having more 8 core models to choose from we may see AMD respond with lowering price ? or release 5700 ? 5800x at £440 isnt it
Ya that’s shops gouging consumers.
5600x was selling everywhere for £340 which has now returned to below £300 as stock is now showing everywhere.

In a couple of weeks 5800x and 5900x will be close to MSRP. Looks like10s thousand is coming to UK this week and next week.

Soldato
OP

I recommend you take a English comprehension refresher course, this will improve your ability to understand others, especially the written word.

I stated that I game at 4k on my CX48 and have found my 3080 becomes bottlenecked by my 6700k in certain parts of some games. You're the one who started talking about 1080P, this is a old redundant resolution no longer relevant to most.

Even at 4K, CPU's matter, especially when running a 3080 or above. Oh, and in regards to FPS, I still average more FPS than your rig, as you have a 3070 versus my 3080, though at this point we're just willy waving.

Looking forward to upgrade to a 11900k to get the most out of my 3080 and eventual 3080ti, hopefully Intel produces millions and avoids a paper launch like the one that plagued the Ryzen 5000/RX6000 phantomware series.

Caporegime
So presumably the 11900K is going to be the best gaming CPU to get if money is no object.

But if money is no object you won't be gaming at 1080P so makes the entire idea nonsense. Intel may cling on to this fantasy niche, but they're falling so far behind in every other metric it's almost embarrassing.

Permabanned
8 cores? What is this, the bronze age?

Glad AMD have given intel a kick in the pants re: IPC, and they've got their act together a bit, but that's just unacceptably low to me.

For the OEMs it's okeyish, for the DIY segment - never. They should have separated OEM from DIY and start offering chips without integrated graphics but instead investing in real CPU cores estate.

Back
Top Bottom