• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel CPU supply constraint worse than we think?

Soldato
OP
No to digress too much from the topic, but given the price of said processor is dropping and more and more places are now holding stock (even retail at <£520) I think the lack of demand is actually causing oversupply due to the pricing. It will correct itself soon enough, as said more places have stock, the prices will fall and buyers will then deplete that stock at a price they find more palatable.

You may continue your pointless bickering now. :p

Mobster
Soldato
Brought an initial 'eh?' form me.
Let me rephrase, do you think its a great CPU?
What board did you match it with?
What cooling system?

No idea, I'm upgrading from my 5930k so I imagine it will be faster and better than that, that's what I hope to get. Faster than my previous. I'm awaiting for it to arrive, its on order.
Board is the Aorus Master Z390.
h150i AIO cooler.

Associate
Very nice!

What made you upgrade / pick the 8700 over the alternatives?

Do you game and stream on the same pc?
I do indeed. Doing so on the 2700k was beginning to show it's age, sometimes even when just gaming.
I was looking at 9700k however the lack of Hyper-Threading shied me away from it : 6c/12t or 8c/8t
Higher cost of z390 boards also didn't sit well with me.
Rocking the quad core with HT over so many years made me realise what workhorse the 2700k is so hoping the 8700k lives up to it's legacy. So far it's worth every penny.

Associate
I do indeed. Doing so on the 2700k was beginning to show it's age, sometimes even when just gaming.
I was looking at 9700k however the lack of Hyper-Threading shied me away from it : 6c/12t or 8c/8t
Higher cost of z390 boards also didn't sit well with me.
Rocking the quad core with HT over so many years made me realise what workhorse the 2700k is so hoping the 8700k lives up to it's legacy. So far it's worth every penny.

Sounds great, I'm glad it's working out so well for you!

I'm considering streaming myself and have a 9900k so it's good to know the cpu will be up to the task.

Do you do the encoding on your gpu or on the cpu? And does it matter what type of game you play in terms of performance?

I wont be streaming specifically for an audience, more to capture my own play and progress.

Associate
With a 9900k it will be way more than up to the task.
I was toying with recycling my 2700k into a dedicated streaming PC, which I may do in time but not something which is pressing right now.

I use the NVENC preset via SLOBS, haven't played yet with x264 (mainly as I just about understand what I'm doing) but I assume I'd get better results with x264

Associate
With a 9900k it will be way more than up to the task.
I was toying with recycling my 2700k into a dedicated streaming PC, which I may do in time but not something which is pressing right now.

I use the NVENC preset via SLOBS, haven't played yet with x264 (mainly as I just about understand what I'm doing) but I assume I'd get better results with x264

I hope so. I don't know whether I'll do cpu or gpu encoding yet, but I'll figure it out i'm sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom