• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Dual Core Xeon 5130 2.0ghz Fsb1333 4mb

Associate
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
:eek:

What're you going to put it in?

The post, to some lucky chap with £200 to spare on eBay.

;)

To be honest though, I'm not expecting it to be honoured. Like the time last year when I ordered an AMD 64 4200+ for less than £50 and they told me that was an error and if I still wanted it I could pay the £100 difference or whatever.

Mind you, single core AMD 64s of a similar rating arent far off that price now anyway.

But hey, if they do honour it, then what shall I do with it? What sort of mobo will I need to put it in, and will I be able to add in my new 8800 GTS (arriving tomorrow) and kick Daedra butt maxed out at 1920x1080?

Hmmmm. The Dual Core Xeon is the same CPU they put in the new Mac Pro isn't it? Except they have two of them in there of course. Nice.

Associate
OP
phil14 said:
Nevermind i found it! i ordered one two!

You sure?

I got the last one. They showed up as out of stock 15 mins after mine was ordered.

Or perhaps there is another site where the web monkey made an error and put the decimal point two digits to the left too far!

Soldato
Dunno about online trading, but if a shop prices an item on the shelf, the price tag is a legally binding contract, they cant refuse to sell it. If an online store has already taken the money, I would assume they constitutes an acceptance of your order, in which case it would be a legally binding contract.

If they back out, just threaten to take them to trading standards.

Associate
Dunno about online trading, but if a shop prices an item on the shelf, the price tag is a legally binding contract, they cant refuse to sell it. If an online store has already taken the money, I would assume they constitutes an acceptance of your order, in which case it would be a legally binding contract.

Erm - incorrect I believe

The purchase price label is an invitation to purchase. The shop can refuse to sell the goods to you but cannot sell the goods for another price without correcting the label first.

On-line sales have a similar system but the point of sale (i.e. the point when a contract is made) is often at the point of picking or delivery and not at the exchange of money (most etailers have a policy on this). This is to protect them from mass orderings and huge losses caused by a typo error.

This (as you would probably expect) has been challanged a number of times. The legality of this 'delay' seems to be related to how much cheaper an item is advertised at. If a person could "resonably expect" that the offered price is the correct price (for example, something ~ 10 to 20% cheaper than other shops) then the law is with the purchaser and the shop should supply. If the price is outside this "resonable" area (like in the case above) the law falls with the shop and the shop can refuse to supply and refund your money. The exception tends to be with large shops who are worried about bad publicity and then they tend to only supply the first "n" customers

Soldato
Not trying to hijack this thread but seemed the appropriate place to ask. Is a LGA771 processor pin compatible with a LGA775 motherboard? I ask because a mate just had a xeon 5320 delivered with a s775 workstation board and I am fairly certain its not right but I dont know enough to say for sure. Hope someone can clarify for me!

Suspended
pcAnywhere said:
Erm - incorrect I believe

The purchase price label is an invitation to purchase. The shop can refuse to sell the goods to you but cannot sell the goods for another price without correcting the label first.

On-line sales have a similar system but the point of sale (i.e. the point when a contract is made) is often at the point of picking or delivery and not at the exchange of money (most etailers have a policy on this). This is to protect them from mass orderings and huge losses caused by a typo error.

This (as you would probably expect) has been challanged a number of times. The legality of this 'delay' seems to be related to how much cheaper an item is advertised at. If a person could "resonably expect" that the offered price is the correct price (for example, something ~ 10 to 20% cheaper than other shops) then the law is with the purchaser and the shop should supply. If the price is outside this "resonable" area (like in the case above) the law falls with the shop and the shop can refuse to supply and refund your money. The exception tends to be with large shops who are worried about bad publicity and then they tend to only supply the first "n" customers

how come shops that sold computer games with the wrong price label on used to sell me them for that price?

Associate
Some reasons..

1) The didn't notice the incorrect price
2) The £5.20/hour salesperson did not care one jot
3) They are a nice company and their policy supports this ideal

Back
Top Bottom