• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel GPUs... are they still coming?

The problem with pricing is you would assume Intel will have a lot of R&D costs to recoup, presumably more than their rivals because they've had to break into the sector starting from a lower base in terms of driver maturity etc. So I wouldn't bank on the idea that they are going to sweep in and undercut the competition in the mid-range even if they have a competitive product. It's possible they might adopt a loss-leader approach whereby they try to gain market share by discounting their products but the problem with the GPU market is the value of market share probably isn't that great because people buy so infrequently and can be fickle in terms of switching between brands.

The problem with pricing is you would assume Intel will have a lot of R&D costs to recoup, presumably more than their rivals because they've had to break into the sector starting from a lower base in terms of driver maturity etc. So I wouldn't bank on the idea that they are going to sweep in and undercut the competition in the mid-range even if they have a competitive product. It's possible they might adopt a loss-leader approach whereby they try to gain market share by discounting their products but the problem with the GPU market is the value of market share probably isn't that great because people buy so infrequently and can be fickle in terms of switching between brands.

It depends on what market they're going after though. I wouldn't be surprised if Intel saw more of an opening in the PC World sort of market, getting their GPUs installed in off-the-shelf systems and providing an entry point into PC gaming to rival consoles. Couple that with some higher-end (rather than top-end) discrete cards to provide credibility to the entire product range and they'd be there.

Intel has cash to burn. They are after market share, not profit. Profit comes after you take the market space.

Back
Top Bottom