• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

There are people talking about it - just far too little information and mostly speculation at this point - even in the video he is making huge assumptions.

I haven't yet encountered this issue in person, yet, with any 13th or 14th gen CPU where it is actually this problem and not misconfigured/incompatible or unrealistic expectations of RAM or other settings induced instability. Also even on W680 boards I've seen individual cores having very high voltages even with conservative settings - so I wouldn't eliminate that possibility though I'm by no means saying it is that either.

Intel's 13900k's and 14900k's are crashing at an alarming rate? Why isn't anyone talking about it and what is Intel's solution?

Forum Thread here: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/int...k-ks-kf-14900k-ks-kf-crashing/213008?u=autumn
Because the press is scared of Intel?

The obvious one which comes to mind was this CB mini article:
"Benchmarks folgen" = "benchmarks to follow".
That was over 2 months ago and total silence since. ComputerBase do not want to rock the Intel PR boat even the slightest, and other media outlets don't want to either.

Meanwhile lots of mainly FUD started by Intel PR putting all the blame on motherboard manufacturers as if a company the size of Intel did not know how they won those review benchmarks at release.

Some reports that Intel is rejecting rma claims for 13th and 14th gen with this issue and telling people they need to run the Intel baseline bios profile

So if your 14900k is no longer stable then you're out of luck and have to use the baseline profile and lose 15% performance

Last edited:
Some reports that Intel is rejecting rma claims for 13th and 14th gen with this issue and telling people they need to run the Intel baseline bios profile

So if your 14900k is no longer stable then you're out of luck and have to use the baseline profile and lose 15% performance

IMO the power limits are only one part of the problem.

The Intel supply voltage spec for these chips is 1.72v max compared to 1.2 to 1.5v for the nearest comparable nodes - a little hard to compare VF and other aspects like internal vs supply voltage, area and thermals, design aspects, etc. directly but I'm also aware of off the record comments by Intel people who wouldn't run their 13th gen chips above 1.45v. Unless more information comes to light I'm leaning towards the voltage specs being too ambitious and even on stuff like W680 boards you'll in some cases see individual cores breaching 1.5v with Intel spec profiles out the box.

Last edited:
A game developer has also posted a breakdown of what they've observed, both in their own machines and from data gathered from end users via their error reporting tool, outright stating that Intel are selling defective chips.

Over the last 3–4 months, we have observed that CPUs initially working well deteriorate over time, eventually failing. The failure rate we have observed from our own testing is nearly 100%, indicating it's only a matter of time before affected CPUs fail.

https://alderongames.com/intel-crashes

This is gradually blowing up into a big problem for Intel. Seems like pushing their silicon to the absolute ragged edge in an effort to keep up with AMD is coming back to bite them.

SMT issue, it's gone for the 15th Gen on the P cores!?
I dont think so as my 13600K has not been effected by this and I've not seen anything of people having these issues with a 13600K/14600K and below.

What processors is this problem effecting? Is it all 13th/14th gen or is it only the I9s

SMT issue, it's gone for the 15th Gen on the P cores!?
That is one sure easy to fix it!
All their recent talk about how SMT hurts the potential max ST according to Intel. Funnily, other company's CMT implementations don't seem to suffer that problem though!

Still, removing SMT is one way to stop a lot of the speculative executions exploits!

As for, is it only i9? Well Intel aren't talking but some those places using i9s as server parts (with W680 and ECC) had to dial back clocks to below i5 and are still not stable.
Could be that most 13th (and the "14th" refresh) CPU can be affected but that the i9s running at the edge just degrade faster - and the lower end CPU will catch up in time.

Back
Top Bottom