• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Soldato
For all the noise stories like this generates it's frustrating that we will likely never get full and clear explanation from Intel detailing the root cause of the problem as they will want to protect shareholder interests.

For me the two big takeaways from Wendell's investigation:

i) The extreme power profiles set by motherboard manufactures are likely not the cause of the problem
ii) 12th gen i.e. 12900k/f etc are not effected

If the 12th gen CPU's are still good then that should really help narrow down the possible causes as you then only have to look at the changes from 12th gen to 13th.

If Intel doesn't want to be open and honest about these things then I'll be open and honest with them and will be sticking with AMD going forwards.

Last edited:
Soldato
For all the noise stories like this generates it's frustrating that we will likely never get full and clear explanation from Intel detailing the root cause of the problem as they will want to protect shareholder interests.

For me the two big takeaways from Wendell's investigation:

i) The extreme power profiles set by motherboard manufactures are likely not the cause of the problem
ii) 12th gen i.e. 12900k/f etc are not effected

If the 12th gen CPU's are still good then that should really help narrow down the possible causes as you then only have to look at the changes from 12th gen to 13th.

If Intel doesn't want to be open and honest about these things then I'll be open and honest with them and will be sticking with AMD going forwards.

While the cause could be multifaceted causeS, throwning the motherboard OEMs under the bus was a strange decision by Intel in terms of longer term strategy.

That W680 chipset boards are affected implies that BIOS settings are a diversion - W680 workstation motherboards do not even support overclocking. And those W680 were not just Asus but Supermicro too.

There is no way Intel PR can push the narrative that Supermicro produce bling unstable overclocking gamers motherboard!

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are people talking about it - just far too little information and mostly speculation at this point - even in the video he is making huge assumptions.

I haven't yet encountered this issue in person, yet, with any 13th or 14th gen CPU where it is actually this problem and not misconfigured/incompatible or unrealistic expectations of RAM or other settings induced instability. Also even on W680 boards I've seen individual cores having very high voltages even with conservative settings - so I wouldn't eliminate that possibility though I'm by no means saying it is that either.

You see, you might be on to something there.......

I blame videos like this on how to beat the X3D chips with Intel CPU's by juicing the RAM, you just know the ram they have set here is right on the brink for the 12900K. The problem is they pass this stuff off as normal, as expected and then people watching stuff like this juice the RAM to with in an inch of the CPU's life.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
W680 workstation motherboards do not even support overclocking. And those W680 were not just Asus but Supermicro too.

There is no way Intel PR can push the narrative that Supermicro produce bling unstable overclocking gamers motherboard!
I agree that Supermicro are unlikely to use something that is not Intel defaults, but W680 does support overclocking (of both the CPU and memory). It is just Z690 with ECC support. He mentions in the video that they were running memory higher than stock in both 2 and 4 dimm configs and pushing these clocks down helped with stability on some systems.

Caporegime
I agree that Supermicro are unlikely to use something that is not Intel defaults, but W680 does support overclocking (of both the CPU and memory). It is just Z690 with ECC support. He mentions in the video that they were running memory higher than stock in both 2 and 4 dimm configs and pushing these clocks down helped with stability on some systems.

ERROR: OUT-OF-MEMORY

;)

Associate
Not had any issue's with my setup which was done by OCUK the past 14 months, still using ASUS Multicore setting in bios
Unfortunately, a lot of people have had issues, making it feel like a ticking time bomb. Intel, trying to keep up with AMD, has sacrificed temps, power efficiency, and instruction sets. They've cut too many corners and basically sold a wolf in sheep's clothing. Remember the 20-core, all-core 5GHz phase-change cooler fiasco?

Last edited:
Soldato

maybe because isnt much difference but pushing the limit of power and clocks trying to stay competitive and its catching up with them ?

Associate
Typical, as I've not long upgraded from a 5900x to a 13700k, mobo & ddr 5 ram. I notice most are talking about i9, does anyone know if this affects i7 cpu's too?

Soldato
Associate
I know it's only a news items quoting Alderon games, but it seems the big media is beginning to no longer ignore this:

100% failure rate? I guess a total recall of all Raptor Lake i5/i7/i9 CPUs would bankrupt Intel.
Intel as a company where in trouble before this. Share price isn't great. Despite having a large fab portfolio, both arc GPUs and a growing number of CPUs are been made (at least in part) at TSMC. 15th Gen ect.....
They've cut the company in half to try and make the fabs work with a rush to build new ones in the US. (Minimise the Taiwan risk)

Soldato
Well i bought my 13900K back in August 2023, for almost £600, only got around to building my PC a while back, and had games crashing a lot, thought it was just the games, bios all running at intel default, with all the fancy Asus bios stuff disabled, hope they do a recall or something.

Man of Honour
Typical, as I've not long upgraded from a 5900x to a 13700k, mobo & ddr 5 ram. I notice most are talking about i9, does anyone know if this affects i7 cpu's too?

Largely a problem with the 13900 and 14900 CPUs - there are a smaller number of claims of people having the issues with other 13th and 14th gen CPUs including the 14700 but so far I've not seen a verified claim of the same problem, so far, except for maybe one 14700KF but the details around that aren't clear.

I'm yet to encounter this problem in person - so far everyone I know who thinks they've had it have had system configuration issues i.e. RAM compatibility and/or trying to do something like running 64+GB of DDR5 at 7600MT and wondering why their system isn't stable :s

Associate
Largely a problem with the 13900 and 14900 CPUs - there are a smaller number of claims of people having the issues with other 13th and 14th gen CPUs including the 14700 but so far I've not seen a verified claim of the same problem, so far, except for maybe one 14700KF but the details around that aren't clear.

I'm yet to encounter this problem in person - so far everyone I know who thinks they've had it have had system configuration issues i.e. RAM compatibility and/or trying to do something like running 64+GB of DDR5 at 7600MT and wondering why their system isn't stable :s
I'll keep myself updated going forward, though my 13700k has been good so dar, but I use my system more for editing, and not so much gaming lately, as work has kept me busy.

Man of Honour
I'll keep myself updated going forward, though my 13700k has been good so dar, but I use my system more for editing, and not so much gaming lately, as work has kept me busy.

Albeit I've only had it a few months but I've pushed my 14700K pretty hard so far without any problems as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom