• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Associate
My 14900K had to go back, luckily it didn't last beyond the return date. But the crashes were sly enough that the program ffmpeg.exe would just crash, exit early.

Windows Event viewer revealed this.

Code:
Faulting application name: ffmpeg.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6654ec43
Faulting module name: nvinfer.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63115029
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000002a5b1a4
Faulting process ID: 0x0x1354
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DABFBD3F606D10
Faulting application path: C:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe
Faulting module path: C:\ffmpeg\nvinfer.dll
Report ID: ddf7a18e-a546-435d-840f-122b92981719
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Report blames nvinfer.dll which probably similar to reports of GPU out of memory errors for NVidia GPUs. Setting the power limits to 253W did stop the crashes, but I couldn't trust the issues were fully resolved, no point keeping it. But when it worked it worked, probably too hard it would seem.

Last edited:
Associate
i7's are fine.

Warframe devs have just put up some of their own findings, and although the i7's don't look nearly as bad as the i9s, they still take up quite a chunk of the crashes they're seeing.

Anyway, here's what they think was happening after testing on one of the staff's personal pc.

Because the crash wasn’t in our code it was hard to guess what we could be doing wrong but as we looked over the reports we noticed that these crashes tended to occur when the graphics driver was working very hard on all CPU-cores. The penny dropped when we realized that this was a particularly power-hungry state for the processor to be in and we were reminded of a recent report from Intel that suggested that a BIOS update might help.

BIOS updates aren’t usually delivered automatically by Windows Update although they are for certain OEMS: many of our office machines get regular updates from the vendor but the person who was crashing was using a custom-build gaming rig at home – he checked and it turned out that it was running the stock BIOS from 2022 and was missing over a dozen updates including one that “replaced tweaked system power settings.”

After updating his BIOS to the latest he hasn’t crashed in nvgpucomp64.dll since and we’re optimistic that the weird crashes that only he was getting won’t be back either. We’re not positive that it was the issue described by the report linked above but we’re happy that updating the BIOS helped.

Soldato
Prolly the worst manufacture error in cpu history made by intel.
I wont be suprised if they recall every cpu sold.
It might be as serious as that, which partially explains why Intel have dragged their heels on this for so many months now with barely any statements. Helped by far too many media outlets not wanting to give this much coverage until recently (and even now, the list of who won't cover it is far larger than those who do).

Associate
It might be as serious as that, which partially explains why Intel have dragged their heels on this for so many months now with barely any statements. Helped by far too many media outlets not wanting to give this much coverage until recently (and even now, the list of who won't cover it is far larger than those who do).
Check my above video, pandemic CPU, rushed out in 11 months.

Soldato
The Reddit from Alderon Games is full of great info:
CJaojjW.png

KHXaP6L.png

m9mDYeV.png

ZHv19aP.png

Think they may been pulling their hair out!

Soldato
Warframe dev talking about why some of their actual patches and bug fixes are a bit behind:
If you happen to be playing on an AMD CPU or aren’t lucky enough to have a recent Intel processor, don’t worry: we have a bunch of fixes for crashes unrelated to this issue coming soon – we’re just waiting to get through cert on all platforms.
The posted a graph of the bug logs for all CPUs:
Ng76BaX.png

Those crashes aren't UE5 decompressing with CRC, but rather GPU driver crashes - guess Nvidia's drivers do offload more stuff to the CPU.
No table provided, but a bit data entry and some sumifs later, I got this:
xsDm2SJ.png

No real pattern except that the i7 vs i9 implies that those buying the "premier" part cannot be happy!

Associate
The mention of faulty laptops in Alderon Games' post is a horrible sign for Intel, because that's where the potential for real financial damage is. Every laptop with a 13900/14900 CPU is likely to have to be recalled and scrapped. It's not feasible to swap the CPUs for working ones (even if they exist) as BGA rework is a skilled and time consuming task.

Soldato
The mention of faulty laptops in Alderon Games' post is a horrible sign for Intel, because that's where the potential for real financial damage is. Every laptop with a 13900/14900 CPU is likely to have to be recalled and scrapped. It's not feasible to swap the CPUs for working ones (even if they exist) as BGA rework is a skilled and time consuming task.
True BGA laptop chips are different* unless Intel intend to do an Nvidia a la Bumbgate - which is almost the text book example on how to not do consumers "right". (Millions of parts, $250 million set aside eventually and begrudgingly for North America only while the damage to consumers was in the $billions.)

* Well i9-14900K and i9-14900HX are the "same" silicon (ignoring binning):
Or Intel Arc: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=236773,235995 but they don't list die sizes.
However, the HX has far more pins/contacts: 1700 vs 1964. Might be extra power lines, or something wired differently?

Caporegime
Last time anything like this occured was the sandybridge fiasco back in 2011 where the chipset could degrade. They had a big recall on motherboards and it was around the middle of the year if not later before it was properly sorted.

Surprised it's taking them this long to do something about the faulty cpus, probably dreading the thought of having to do a mass recall and replacement program, that ain't gonna be cheap.

Soldato
OP
There is a foolish shop on the UK high streets that's daft enough to buy it.
Once they get wind of this they will give you 1p for it and sell it for £100's... seen them pull stuff like this in past with we don't buy them but will give you 1p or you can donate it or we can get rid of it in an eco way... meaning sell it on.

Man of Honour
At this point, I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the voltages, power settings, etc.

I mean.., it could be that ALL 13th/14th gen CPUs (except the rebranded previous gen dies that aren't really 13th/14th) are liable to be no good and it is just that the 13900K shows it up earlier because they're pushed further and degrade faster. Similar to how SSDs with bad flash will always break down, but it might take a lot longer if they're less used. E.g. a 13600K could be 2-3 years before it starts degrading noticeably, but a 13900K it happens in just a few months.

I think we have enough proof to say that 12th gen CPUs don't degrade in the same way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom