• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Last edited:
The Ryzen 1800X was competitive with Intels $1000 Core i9 6900K in any productivity workload, and at half of the power consumption for half the price, that's why it was so well recieved, the Internet found that quite astonishing, its why there was so much hype around it, deservadly so, it was doubly shocking because it came somewhat unexpected from AMD who we had all written off.

Having said that it didn't compete well in gaming, it was still notably behind Intel in gaming, but it was not bad at gaming, it was ok, so you had a very good productivilty CPU that you could also game on.

Ryzen 3000 series improved the gaming performance to a point where it was close enough to Intel that Intel's gaming lead was little more than a technicallity.

That was reversed with the Ryzen 5000 series, the 5800X was faster in gaming than the 10900K, it also matched or beat it in any other workload despite only having 16 threads to Intel's 20, again at half the power consumption. Its why i bought one, i'm still running that CPU 4 years later... its still good.

Ryzen 5000 is still a hot seller while the 10 series is largly forgoten.

Last edited:
nvidia is trouncing them all anyway. in various areas.

but price to perf to power consumption all very important. not so much to me though. I mean comparing what I actually have for the piddly little tasks i use it for, the 8600k is still my preference over the 5600. it runs cooler, uses buggerall power (ive tested both of them they are basically identical power draw), and just feels more responsive. Im not a youtube video creator so that doesnt affect me.

anywho take your pick of company. theyll all take your cash, and vendors (more like brokers really) dont care where the cash is from only that it keeps flowing.
my choice is to keep intel in the game, lest it end up a monopoly with fewer choices. and that for me was the only reason i dabbled with amd. now it seems the worm has turned, which only makes me keener on supporting intel's progress to keep up with the produce.

Last edited:
nvidia is trouncing them all anyway. in various areas.

but price to perf to power consumption all very important. not so much to me though. I mean comparing what I actually have for the piddly little tasks i use it for, the 8600k is still my preference over the 5600. it runs cooler, uses buggerall power, and just feels more responsive. Im not a youtube video creator so that doesnt affect me.

anywho take your pick of company. theyll all take your cash, and vendors (more like brokers really) dont care where the cash is from only that it keeps flowing.
my choice is to keep intel in the game, lest it end up a monopoly with fewer choices. and that for me was the only reason i dabbled with amd. now it seems the worm has turned, which only makes me keener on supporting intel's progress to keep up with the produce.
you could start a new thread

'Intel on the road to recovery' (possibly sooner than later - time and money are running out)

Yeh.
I doubt i have much to add.
I think though that generally, the impetus to stay relevant in IT, as well as hardware and software sales, is change, new for the sake of new. as well as the maintenance aspect (efficiency).

the microsoft world is pretty ubiquitous. linux, while superior for various applications. is niche in comparison. all this is from a non savvy observer. but ive been watching this arena for a long time. in terms of investors outside of the nerdy world of IT. vast amounts get plonked here and there simply because they see the way the trends are going and follow the momentum.
ultimately it is up to intel to compete and sell. and I as a lowly consumer can choose. and as stated the reasons for me dabbling with amd have ceased to be, so I'm switching back to Intel, while i still can. Im looking forward to their new products, just for my little PC. and I am a windows user so. nothing niche about it.

Last edited:
Yeh.
I think though that generally, the impetus to stay relevant in IT, as well as hardware and software sales, is change, new for the sake of new. as well as the maintenance aspect (efficiency).

the microsoft world is pretty ubiquitous. linux, while superior for various applications. is niche in comparison. all this is from a non savvy observer. but ive been watching this arena for a long time. in terms of investors outside of the nerdy world of IT. vast amounts get plonked here and there simply because they see the way the trends are going and follow the momentum.
ultimately it is up to intel to compete and sell. and I as a lowly consumer can choose. and as stated the reasons for me dabbling with amd have ceased to be, so I'm switching back to Intel, while i still can. Im looking forward to their new products, just for my little PC. and I am a windows user so. nothing niche about it.
New (old) Xeons, 60 cores! Now that's got to be a winner?

Probably because everyone’s moved onto the discussing the lacklustre Zen5 launch.

Probably more because everyone is in limbo waiting to hear how Intel is going to resolve these problems.
Yeh.

Intel don’t miss out, consumers will happily buy garbage and pay a premium for the privilege. Intel based Windows PCs being a prime example.

The Ryzen 1800X was competitive with Intels $1000 Core i9 6900K in any productivity workload, and at half of the power consumption for half the price, that's why it was so well recieved, the Internet found that quite astonishing, its why there was so much hype around it, deservadly so, it was doubly shocking because it came somewhat unexpected from AMD who we had all written off.

Having said that it didn't compete well in gaming, it was still notably behind Intel in gaming, but it was not bad at gaming, it was ok, so you had a very good productivilty CPU that you could also game on.

Ryzen 3000 series improved the gaming performance to a point where it was close enough to Intel that Intel's gaming lead was little more than a technicallity.

That was reversed with the Ryzen 5000 series, the 5800X was faster in gaming than the 10900K, it also matched or beat it in any other workload despite only having 16 threads to Intel's 20, again at half the power consumption. Its why i bought one, i'm still running that CPU 4 years later... its still good.

Ryzen 5000 is still a hot seller while the 10 series is largly forgoten.

Zen was a godsend. I dread to think the position the market would have been in now if AMD hadn’t come along.

Zen was a godsend. I dread to think the position the market would have been in now if AMD hadn’t come along.
We'd all be blown away by this year's brand spanking new 12700k intels first 6 core main stream desktop processor. Though some people will be saying don't buy it, cos they heard that next year they would finally be releasing their 10nm chips! :P

Last edited:

Intel is sharing a few important updates on the Intel® Core™ 13th and 14th Gen desktop processor Vmin Shift Instability issue investigation, including ongoing guidance for BIOS updates and settings and the status of upcoming next gen product families. Intel will be publishing another update by the end of September.

Future Product Update

Intel confirms that its next generation of processors, codenamed Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake, are not affected by the Vmin Shift Instability issue due to the new architectures powering both product families. Intel will ensure future product families are protected against the Vmin Shift Instability issue as well.

Unaffected Products List

Following the recent warranty extension announcement for affected Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors, Intel confirms these currently available processors are not affected by the Vmin Shift Instability issue:

• 12th Gen Intel Core desktop and mobile processors
  • Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen i5 (non-K) & i3 desktop processors
  • Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen mobile processors – including HX-series processors.
  • Intel Xeon processors – including server and workstation processors.
  • Intel Core Ultra (Series 1) processors
Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen Desktop Processor BIOS Updates

While most Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors are not impacted by the Vmin Shift Instability issue, Intel recommends all users continue following guidance:

• Ensure the system is running with the latest BIOS, which users can look up through Intel’s Compatibility Tool and/or their motherboard manufacturer’s website. Users can also learn more about how to update their BIOS by visiting the following site: How to Update BIOS.
  • Utilizing the Intel Default Settings recommendations for their Intel Core 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processor – including both Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen consumer, commercial, and entry workstation desktop systems.

Intel are doing what AMD did many years ago!?

partially.
TSMC delivers good product at a good price.

why does apple make iphones in china?
why does mg have saic motors manufacture their auto's
why does western digital make hdd's in thailand?

the list is endless.

i believe intel will retain operational fabs in the u.s. and elsewhere, but are playing catchup, utilising tsmc 3nm node (3NB i believe) for their latest chips. yet to be seen what products emerge from 20A and 18A, for which their new fabs are still under construction....although they have shown off some 20A sample silicon...about a year ago. so they obviously have fabulous labulous fabs/labs doing the prototype work.

if you cant beatem joinem.

Last edited:

Intel likely plan to sell off Altera assets, freeze $30BN German fab contruction and keep Intel Foundry business.

Back
Top Bottom