• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Nehalem Preview/Benches - Slaughters Core2

Soldato
the image just disappeared, were they all extreme chips?

Bloomfield covers quite some territory. at 2.66Ghz its in the high Mainstream, at 2.93 its in "performance", and at 3.2Ghz its an Extreme edition. These are all on bloomfield motherboards, and support 3channel ddr3 and the new high speed bus.

Based on current Intel products, and intels general preference to keep the same prices, these should retail at around 1k for the extreme, 400 for the performance part, and 200 for the high mainstream. (inclusive of vat, and allowing for initial shortages). When core 2 duo was released the Performance part was the E6700 at just over £300, I dont remember the price of the X6800 dual core. So we're not going to see £50 bloomfield comparible processors, but then again its not just the extreme market who will have nice computers.

Soldato
so 400 quid for an overclockable chip Q4 this year?

or will the 200 ones be able to also?

Thanks for the info Corasik, if true i just might wait to get one of those instead of going c2d now.

Thought they all were going to be overpriced Extreme chips at launch.

Last edited:

Mul

Mul

Associate
If I recall correctly, the 2.66GHz Bloomfield will be replacing the Q9450 in it's own price bracket, which is $316. So at a guess, once there's plenty of stock I guess you could expect a bloomfield CPU from around £199+VAT.

Associate
Ouch £230+ for the entry level bloomfield :eek: I've only recently upgraded so I might hold up for 32nm. Not looking to pay more than £137 which I paid for the 8400.

I don't like this idea of 3 different sockets.

Caporegime
Ouch £230+ for the entry level bloomfield :eek: I've only recently upgraded so I might hold up for 32nm. Not looking to pay more than £137 which I paid for the 8400.

I don't like this idea of 3 different sockets.

Ermm why not...?

1567 = server.
1366 = us, meaning gamers & enthusiasts and others.
1160 = value desktop, like the £300 PCs you buy from the purple shirt place.

You do realise that you dont have to buy a release CPU. Wait until the new stepping comes out, or wait until the next line of motherboards comes out... cheaper prices and better performance. :)

Plus its ~£225 for a Q9450, will be <£300 for a 2.66Ghz CPU that will kick the crap out of the Q9450, dont see any problems with the price there. Intel aint Nvidia you know.

Associate
1567 = server.
1366 = us, meaning gamers & enthusiasts and others.
1160 = value desktop, like the £300 PCs you buy from the purple shirt place.

Theres also 771. That might be the value desktop. 1160 for us average joes maybe and 1366 for >£230 CPUs.

So we could have 771 (celeron), 1160 (e.g. dual core mainstream), 1366 (quad core - high end).

Thats a lot of sockets. It's not as simple as simply buying any 775 motherboard. I think a lot of people would agree! I only upgrade every 2 years or so changing motherboards ain't my thing.

Because of the high cost of living (petrol, electric, gas) etc. I'm just saying I would like something around £150 or less. It is only first pricing and I'm hoping they will come down with the 32nm die shrink or price cuts.

Soldato
Theres also 771. That might be the value desktop. 1160 for us average joes maybe and 1366 for >£230 CPUs.

So we could have 771 (celeron), 1160 (e.g. dual core mainstream), 1366 (quad core - high end).

Thats a lot of sockets. It's not as simple as simply buying any 775 motherboard. I think a lot of people would agree! I only upgrade every 2 years or so changing motherboards ain't my thing.

As said in the post above mine, LGA 771 is the current Xeon socket.

The way it's panning out to be is:
1567 - Boomfield (quad) and "Nehalem-EX"(Oct)
1366 - Bloomfield (quad)
1160 - Lynnfield (quad) and Havendale (dual).

No matter what you choose, you still get a reasonable upgrade path.

Associate
Hello there :)

Looking forward to this as i encode a lot, i want to get into x264 but hate the waiting around for hrs on end for the 720 and 1080 encodes :)

Looking forward to having a little server with 1080 films on to watch on the hdef telly :D

Been abit spoilt with CCE, doing 4 passes on a 1hr 30 min movie takes about 50 mins, i want the same with x264 :)

Associate
As said in the post above mine, LGA 771 is the current Xeon socket.

The way it's panning out to be is:
1567 - Boomfield (quad) and "Nehalem-EX"(Oct)
1366 - Bloomfield (quad)
1160 - Lynnfield (quad) and Havendale (dual).

No matter what you choose, you still get a reasonable upgrade path.

Oops I meant LGA 715:

Socket H (LGA 715) - a future replacement for the current Socket T (LGA 775), without integrated memory controller and newer point-to-point processor interconnect

It's no longer mentioned on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

Maybe I was referring to outdated information, who knows :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
can i expect to get a performance bloomfield this year then? if extreme editions come in oct when can i get a performance one for no more than £200-300?

hope these things can clock to 3.5 easily and more

Not sure about price but looking at the roadmap the performance bloomfield ought to be out Oct-Dec and Intel have been on time lately.

And on price if a Nehalem at 2.66Ghz is faster than a qx9770 at 3.2Ghz and they are coming out at 2.93Ghz stock I would seriously expect the price to be around £400 as well for an overclockerable chip and maybe £200-£300 for the none overclockerable chip.

And if they clock to 3.5Ghz and are as fast as they appear then the old quad vs dual core argument has gone.

No more dual core updates until at least Q3 2009 so a 3.5Ghz Nehalem ought to be quicker than a 4Ghz E8400 so apart from the price issue of a new mobo and an expensive chip, quad core users can have the higher performance.

Caporegime
well if its possible to get hold of one this year i would probably get one

guess i need to wait for more info

I probably won't since I have just upgraded on the cheap from a dual core AMD socket 939 system.

Decided I could get rig as per my sig while my socket 939 parts still fetched a good price on the bay and MM. Only cost me £150 to upgrade including the watercooling :eek::D

If you look at the new Nehalem as an upgrade it's probably going to cost £500-£600 for just cpu and processor plus through in some expensive ddr3 memory (although it will have dropped in price by then, it still won't be as cheap as ddr2)

So although it will be a massive upgrade to you (my AMD at 3Ghz to my quad was a massive performance upgrade already) I would still be tempted to get a cheap Intel system now and look at upgrading again to Nehalem next year when prices have dropped. Shopping around you could get a quad or E8xxx setup for as little as £160 which won't be much more than what you will get for your old bits. My actual mobo/ram/cpu upgrade cost £50 in total.

That way you will get a massive boost now for a year and then another major boost next year.

Just my opinion for what it's worth. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for letting us know. :) I don't have problems its just that when was the last time you saw a cpu maxed out on all 4 cores otther than on some kind of encoding?

Sup Com seems to sometimes.

Might need to be able to max out "8" cores since I think Intel are returning to HyperThreading with Nehalem. That certainly would be an explanation for the clock for clock speed increase vs Penrhyn.

Soldato
Tempting to get it but I bet come spring/summer next year AMD or Intel will be moving onto Octocores.

From then I reckon its just a case of waiting for game/software developers to catch up ;)

A Q6600/9450/X3350 still a decent upgrade and would hold its own for a year or 2 yet !

Back
Top Bottom