• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Nova Lake (16th gen) on next gen platform/socket (LGA-XXXX)

Soldato

"Intel Shakes Up its Roadmap: No Arrow Lake-S Refresh, Nova Lake Takes Center Stage​

A Break from Tradition​

In a surprising move, rumors suggest that Intel may be abandoning its typical “tick-tock” release cycle. Instead of the expected Arrow Lake-S refresh, the company is seemingly set to leapfrog directly to its next-generation Nova Lake CPUs. This decision marks a strategic shift, potentially driven by a desire to deliver more significant performance improvements and focus resources on a truly groundbreaking architecture.

Implications for the Market​

This change in Intel’s roadmap could have several implications for the PC market:

• Shorter LGA1851 Socket Lifespan: Arrow Lake might be the only CPU generation to use this socket, which could impact upgrade plans for users who invested in the new platform.
  • Longer Gap between Generations: Skipping the refresh could mean a longer wait for a new major CPU release, potentially giving AMD an advantage in the meantime.
  • Focus on Innovation: The move towards Nova Lake signals Intel’s intent to focus on delivering major architectural improvements rather than incremental updates."

News is starting to flow for Nova Lake, which will be the next full generation of CPU from Intel following the disappointing Arrow Lake.

Nova Lake is set to be on a brand new platform/socket, meaning LGA-1851 for Arrow Lake will be a one generation only platform. This is due to Meteor Lake being cancelled.

There's a rumour that we'll get an "Arrow Lake Refresh" on LGA-1851 - though this is likely to be a 13900k-14900k or 4700k-4790k 'refresh' with just increased clocks/power consumption, not an actual new generation or new architecture, which is very disappointing.

Last edited:
Don't think they need to worry about "potentially giving AMD an advantage in the meantime". That ship sailed long ago.

Yeah, the question now is more if AMD can be caught. TBH I don’t think it’s a bad thing if Intel pivoted to become more OEM focused.

Don't think they need to worry about "potentially giving AMD an advantage in the meantime". That ship sailed long ago.

Yeap. I think the 9800X3D and 9950X3D will wear the gaming performance crown for many years. Nova Lake is set for a 2026 launch - that'll probably slip to Q4 2026 knowing Intel.

What a boring few years ahead :cry:

Further rumour information from AI sources:

• Royal Core
    Nova Lake is said to be the first version of Intel's Royal Core project, which will use Rentable Units (RU) instead of hyper-threading. RUs are large performance cores that can be divided into units.

• Architecture
    Nova Lake is rumored to use Intel's Xe4 architecture, codenamed Druid, as well as TSMC's node and Intel's own 14A process technology.

• Release date
    Nova Lake is rumored to be released in 2026. However, Intel may release it earlier if they don't have a new desktop CPU lineup in 2025.

"Intel Shakes Up its Roadmap: No Arrow Lake-S Refresh, Nova Lake Takes Center Stage​

A Break from Tradition​

In a surprising move, rumors suggest that Intel may be abandoning its typical “tick-tock” release cycle. Instead of the expected Arrow Lake-S refresh, the company is seemingly set to leapfrog directly to its next-generation Nova Lake CPUs. This decision marks a strategic shift, potentially driven by a desire to deliver more significant performance improvements and focus resources on a truly groundbreaking architecture.
Dave, Intel hasn't followed it's "tick-tock" cycle since Haswell turned into Broadwell and even that's dubious given how quiet the Broadwell launch was at the time. The last proper "tick-tock" cycle imo was Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. These days it more tick, tock, tock, tock, tock....and most of those "tocks" are just rebrands with a clock tweak.

Last edited:
Dave, Intel hasn't followed it's "tick-tock" cycle since Haswell turned into Broadwell and even that's dubious given how quiet the Broadwell launch was at the time. The last proper "tick-tock" cycle imo was Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. These days it more tick, tock, tock, tock, tock....and most of those "tocks" are just rebrands with a clock tweak.

Freddie, tick tock :)

Everything rests on the Xe tile, the slight problem is Intel haven’t finished Xe2 yet… I’m going out on limb here men, but I think we’re likely looking at another toe release.

When I see "might be" and "could" used in articles I wonder if they are totally made up rubbish for clicks

Intel have gone all metrosexual. They are about the slots now. Sockets are so last decade.
Slots were like 1990s, I've still got a p3 633mhz slot A pc somewhere

Last edited:
lots of stories float around.
September 25? yikes that is like sooo 1 month ago
...aaand here's another one, probably wrong or superseded by yet other fud/rumours/conjecture

Nova Lake will succeed Arrow Lake-S in the desktop and DIY segments with up to 40 cores (16P + 32E). It’ll be fabbed on the Intel 14A node and adopt Coyote Cove P-cores capable of leveraging Rentable Units and Arctic Wolf E-cores. These CPUs are expected to feature high-cache variants akin to AMD’s 3D V-Cache chips. A late 2026 launch is planned for Nova Lake.

but it is on topic "Nova-lake"

"high cache variants". well there's an idea :p

==
MLID's views regurgitated here:

MLID further claims that Nova Lake might use the refreshed Intel 18A-P instead of the 14A and TSMC 2 nm rumored previously.

i thought pantherlake for laptops was supposed to be an 18A thing.

"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip"

Last edited:
According to the "rumours" about NL's performance it wouldn't even be enough to beat the anaemic Zen 5. Imagine, not only do they have to suffer with 2 more years of this Awful Lake, but even at the end of that suffering period (realistically since '21 when ADL launched) they still have nothing to look forward to. To say nothing of DC where the situation is even more catastrophic for them.
Maximum pain.

uToKDrw.gif

I have a 12900K, my options as I see them are, stick with 12th gen, and wait and see what NL, is like, upgrade to 14900K, or put caution to the wind, and spec in to 285K. None of those options are that appealing, 14th gen is a dead end but I could keep my Z690 Hero and memory, staying 12th gen, means I don't get shiny new stuff, and the 285 is pretty lame, especially when it's going to cost me ~£1500. I mean there's AMD, but I don't do AMD, maybe I should.

I have a 12900K, my options as I see them are, stick with 12th gen, and wait and see what NL, is like, upgrade to 14900K, or put caution to the wind, and spec in to 285K. None of those options are that appealing, 14th gen is a dead end but I could keep my Z690 Hero and memory, staying 12th gen, means I don't get shiny new stuff, and the 285 is pretty lame, especially when it's going to cost me ~£1500. I mean there's AMD, but I don't do AMD, maybe I should.
After the recent post NDA reviews/benchmarks probably best to stay unless you need the performance now. Seems like next-next gen + DDR6 is the logical step as Arrow Lake seems to gain significantly from memory latency.

Back
Top Bottom