Intel Rapid Storage Technology application will no longer open

Soldato
I have a very old (v13 something) version on my PC, so upgraded it to the latest version (V17 something).

When I now click on the tray icon, it asks me for permission to run IAStorUI.exe, the program opens, showing no information, with a working icon, and then after a couple of seconds it closes.

It used to open the app before!?

Soldato
You probably just updated the drivers, and this usually causes a mismatch with the management application (when you upgrade major version numbers). You need to find the version that has both the drivers and the app, and install that. You can do it over the top, and it should work. I think this one is the latest.

Last edited:
Soldato
That makes sense but the install created a new desktop icon to the application which surely implies it we updated?

It's not going to hurt to update it again. If that doesn't work, you'll have to go back to an earlier version. I'm running the 17 series on a Asus Z-87 Pro, so that's the only thing I can think of, and I've seen that behaviour before when you just install the drivers, especially when jumping from one major version to another.

Soldato
OP
It's not going to hurt to update it again. If that doesn't work, you'll have to go back to an earlier version. I'm running the 17 series on a Asus Z-87 Pro, so that's the only thing I can think of, and I've seen that behaviour before when you just install the drivers, especially when jumping from one major version to another.
First thanks for the help.

I went to take the uninstall option but it came up with a rather scary message about the drivers being potentially used by the BIOS or the like? And the last thing I wanted to do was to brick the machine! I can grab a screen shot of this message if required.

I'm not doing any RAID or anything like that, so was simply using it as I believe it came with the motherboard? and figured it wouldn't do any harm to have something monitoring my drives?

Soldato
First thanks for the help.

I went to take the uninstall option but it came up with a rather scary message about the drivers being potentially used by the BIOS or the like? And the last thing I wanted to do was to brick the machine! I can grab a screen shot of this message if required.

I'm not doing any RAID or anything like that, so was simply using it as I believe it came with the motherboard? and figured it wouldn't do any harm to have something monitoring my drives?

You shouldn't need to uninstall, just install over the top.

Soldato
OP
You shouldn't need to uninstall, just install over the top.
And what's different with that version you've linked to from a (French?) third party site compared to the ones offered from Intel themselves?

https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...view=topic&catid=22&id=172&Itemid=858&lang=en

It's 17.3 compared to Intel's own latest version of 17.2? - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...ology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?v=t

And why would that be more likely to work compared to Intel's own version (which didn't work for me)? Note: They're similar sizes, both at about 22mb!?

Last edited:
Soldato
One is newer. The older one you used isn't working. If you don't want to try reinstalling a newer version, there's not really any more advice I can offer. If you're too afraid to install a newer version, maybe you should revert back to the last version of the 13 series?

Soldato
OP
One is newer. The older one you used isn't working. If you don't want to try reinstalling a newer version, there's not really any more advice I can offer. If you're too afraid to install a newer version, maybe you should revert back to the last version of the 13 series?
Just confused why a third party (french) site would have a newer version than Intel.

The reason I upgraded from my 13 version was it didn't list my new Intel 660p M.2 drive on the list of drives it was aware of. Hence me starting on this whole debacle of trying to upgrade this software :(

Guess I could try the last V13 version again - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...echnology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Soldato
OP
Actually was my entire reason for upgrading this application flawed? It was showing my old Crucial Sata SSD, and old Sata HDD, but NOT the new Intel 660p M.2 drive I'd added. Should this program even show that?

Soldato
OP
The latest Intel Rapid Storage Tech drivers don't/aren't supposed to work with older hardware. Discovered this when updating them on Intel Z87 platform for Samsung Magician. You have to choose a particular set for yours. Mine are v14.8.16.1063

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...echnology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver
OK, so I'll try that version too then...

And would I expect it to show/list my Intel 660P M.2 drive in the application? Or as before just my two SATA drives (one traditional and one SSD)?

Soldato
And would I expect it to show/list my Intel 660P M.2 drive in the application? Or as before just my two SATA drives (one traditional and one SSD)?

No clue I'm afraid. I just needed to update from an older driver to get one of the Samsung Magician features working. Maybe try a slightly newer version than mine too.

Soldato
OP
At this point I'd just like it to seemingly be working/happy even if the 660P isn't shown... So I'll try the version you mentioned.

I don't like installing something that when you try to uninstall it gives a rather worrying warning message about booting and the like :(

Soldato
Just checked what's supported for the next driver (15.2.16.1060) up from 14.8.16.1063 and it's for Intel 6th/7th Gen platforms:

Platforms supported

• Intel® 200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
  • 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
  • Intel® 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
  • 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
For Intel Platforms not supported above, visit the RAID version 14.8.0.

Letting you know as I mentioned also possibly trying a slightly newer one, which doesn't seem a good idea after all.

Soldato
OP
Just checked what's supported for the next driver (15.2.16.1060) up from 14.8.16.1063 and it's for Intel 6th/7th Gen platforms:

Letting you know as I mentioned also possibly trying a slightly newer one, which doesn't seem a good idea after all.

Ahhh! Many thanks!

So the original version you suggested 14.8.16.1063 should be the one I try next then? - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...echnology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Interestingly that's quite a recent release - Date: 10/22/2018

Soldato
Ahhh! Many thanks!

So the original version you suggested 14.8.16.1063 should be the one I try next then? - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...echnology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Interestingly that's quite a recent release - Date: 10/22/2018

Yeah would say that'd be fine.

And yes date is interesting. I don't get why Intel have done this and haven't just included the drivers for all platforms on the latest package although there must be a reason.

Soldato
OP
Yeah would say that'd be fine.

And yes date is interesting. I don't get why Intel have done this and haven't just included the drivers for all platforms on the latest package although there must be a reason.
OK... Thanks for the help again.

I'll try it tonight and fingers crossed it doesn't brick the machine!

Back
Top Bottom