• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel sockets: i5, i7, i9

Soldato
I couldn't get away comfortably with a 64GB SSD... My XP installation + programs is ~25GB and my 7 installation +programs is ~50GB. Even if I dropped XP, I would not feel comfortable with that little amount of space free.

I need a 128GB at least and I might as well wait until SATA 6Gbps comes out and get a PCI-E 4x expansion card to use it.

Last edited:
Soldato
A large operating system + a very large operating system is indeed pushing your luck on a 60gb drive. You would perhaps be advised to keep xp on a hard drive and run windows 7 with slightly less stuff installed on the ssd. I'm astonished that even windows 7 is capable of eating 50gb, no films or music on that partition?

Sata 3 on pci-e card is probably what I'm going to go for as well

Soldato
I've been dying to upgrade for ages, with the money ready. But I can't bring myself to spend £500 on as1366 mobo cpu ram and heatsink when there's a new platform around the corner which will offer almost the same performance for up to £100 less.

My only worry is that the first p55 hardware releases will be overpriced.

Soldato
JonJ678 said:
I'm astonished that even windows 7 is capable of eating 50gb, no films or music on that partition?

Nope, I have ~1.2TB of data but none of it is on either of the system partitions. I gave Windows 7 100GB and it's using around 55% IIRC (not using my main PC atm). Tis just the OS and programs (including two games, both of which are probably around 1-1.5GB). I have a few big programs that probably eat up a fair bit of space (Fireworks, Audition, Office 2007, Visual Studio 2008 Professional off the top of my head).

Associate
the first batch of i5's wont really touch the 920, unless its gaming where it would probably be neck and neck pretty much much like the 955.

Then theres the speculation that the i5 won't overclock as well as the i7.

then theres the speculation that the P55 will limit the full capabilities of the i5.

In terms of future upgrades on the i5, the future upgrades to beat the 920 will probably cost more anyway as the 920 won't be for sale anymore.

Then the future i7's in gaming terms, unnecessary and i reckon 6 cores would require new massive coolers as well which will take quite some time after release.

I think the whole I have gone i7 and now won't be able to ever upgrade because everything is omg expensive. Yes and No, Intel will always come into the new sets of processors with bands like they did with the first i7's 920,965 and 975 then also releasing 940 and 950. There will be a lower end like the 920 it will probably retail at first for like 300-450 pounds but its not omg 1 grand everytime i want to upgrade, yes there will probably be a 1 grand upwards model but there will also be a rather expensive but not so unfordable model.

However the 6 core model will only benefit the hardcore encoders and 3d/photoshop users. I don't think games will benefit from all 6 cores at all for a very long time and by the time they do it will probably be affordable and then the 12 core processor comes out.

For gamers the 920 will last a very long time. Don't need to worry about the i5 if you already got an i7, i5's are lower end and just there to compete with AMD's bang for buck yea it will probably be gutting to see a much cheaper option performing almost the same in games but its done, no need to look back as the i5 will not smash the 920 any time at all, intel wants to keep them cheap and if they start making them better than i7's its not mainstream anymore then is it? cause it will cost a lot which means they have to raise there prices.

Caporegime
An i7@4Ghz is gonna last sooooooooooo long it's untrue. A good 3/4 years I reckon on a gaming machine (esp if latest cards are switched out in a couple of years), probably 5/7 in general ops

/pats i7 :D

Soldato
Will normal 7200 HDDs be able to make use of sata 3?

You only need enough space for the OS and essential apps - everything else you would store on a separate (SATA etc) drive/s.

You can get by, quite comfortably, with a 64GB SSD.

So if i use a 64GB SSD as my OS and apps drive (approx 25GB used currently) and normal 7200s for games/music drives, will games run faster or still be limited to the speed of the 7200?

Associate
I think the comments about 1366/1156 vs 939/754 are spot on, the same kind of problem. Eventually one will be the chipset/socket of choice and the other one... won't. I agree with Greebo that until the dust settles, it's not a good idea to set yourself on one side. Wait until all the cards are on the table.

The thing that baffles me is why Intel released 1366/i7 so early, compared to the forthcoming i5 and 1156. Particularly if 1156 might have the edge over 1366 at least for a very short while (32nm and good clocks could do it). Were they pressured by AMD to get something out at that date in particular?

i7/1366 moving to i9 in time looks like the safest path right now, if potentially very expensive, but places like OCUK have always been about taking the £200 processor and clocking the **** off it, rather than buying the £700 processor... as such I wouldn't be surprised if people got better results from 1156 and the 32nm i7s!

Soldato
So if i use a 64GB SSD as my OS and apps drive (approx 25GB used currently) and normal 7200s for games/music drives, will games run faster or still be limited to the speed of the 7200?

The games will be limited to the speed of the 7200 drive but then games would not benefit that much from being installed on an SSD - when compared to the benefits to that of an OS and apps.

Game performance is governed far more by your CPU, GPU and memory - game and level load times would be faster – but there would be no other speed benifits that would warrant buying a larger dive to accommodate them.

Soldato
so buying an SSD is purely if u cant be bothered to wait 30s for windows to load!

There's annoying amounts of truth to that. The system is 'snappier', generally quicker to use. Everything opens faster, saves faster. Even very large excel files. But patience would achieve the same result

Annoys me no end that post takes longer to process than ubuntu does to load :(

Associate
By the looks of it people who splashed out on an i7 (Me included - i7 950) will be able to drop in an i9 on the 1366 socket in a couple of years through the x58 platform with a bios update I would think...

So going 1366 now is rather a good thing, if that statement holds true of course and even if it doesn't we still have our tri-channel memory and super powerful i7 chips. But I do agree that people still waiting to upgrade should wait for i5 get a nice mid-range chip and OC the *** of it!! i5 will be the new price/performance king for sure.

:D
XD-3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom