1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by RavenXXX2, Jun 21, 2019.

1. jigger

Capodecina

You really don’t know the situation ATI was in. You might want to rethink that. AMD was going to buy Nvidia the offer was accepted and the deal was very close to going through before AMD pulled out and went ahead with ATI. ATI was struggling at that time and the sale helped both companies.

It’s probably worth mentioning that Vega and Polaris are very strong chips. Both ranges offer some standout cards.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. humbug

Caporegime

AMD bailed ATI out, they were about to go under.

3. jigger

Capodecina

Yeah ATI pumped too much into AMD and Intel chipsets that never had a chance really.

4. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Radeon X850XT built on the same 130nm node as GeForce 6800 Ultra put it to shame. See:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-x850-xt-pe-agp/

5. jigger

Capodecina

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. easyrider

Caporegime

£425 for a 9900k would rather have a 3900x

7. CuriousTomCat

Hitman

They didn't, AMD designed Zen from scratch. 100% new technology.

It's Intel who have been modifying, updating, tweeking, adjusting, revamping, refining an already existing archecture since 1995. Hense all the security holes.
    Too expensive for enthusiasts who see benchmarks but we only make up a small percentage of the market. The rest of the world have been seeing Intel adverts on the TV for 25 years and wont know any different. A lot have never even heard of AMD. Some people walk into the shop where I work and look for the Intel badge because people they know have been recommending Intel for years etc. It's decades old advise that people have heard and it sticks. AMD could be 10 times quicker and it wont matter to this large area of the market. A lot of large busineses only buy Intel as well.

8. DarrenM343

Mobster

I think pricing hasn't helped too. reflecting a worse performing part often. When people see a lower spec/worse CPU at a lower price, they'll I think often go for the most expensive one if not on a tight budget. AMD products of the past have often looked cheap too, even if the underlying product was actually pretty good. Personally, I had a few issues with AMD products in the past so was reluctant to go there again. So when you put it all together many will simply go with Intel, the company with a longer history of higher performance. I think that's changing however, catching the competition but pricing accordingly too. I myself tried a 1950X a few years ago for a year or so and was pretty impressed.

The "Intel inside" was always quite catchy in TV commercials and many I'm sure still remember the tune. Intel marketing have been very good in the past.

I think AMD today is a massively improved company with Lisa Su at the helm and may get over the "Intel inside "hurdle :)

9. GAC

Mobster

i just wanna see weird al brought in by amd now :D

10. VaderGB

Associate

Definitely an interesting time for PC components. If all Intel have got is to reduce prices that says volumes. Of course were still waiting for benches and reviews. I do lots of work alongside gaming on my mainstream rig and the multicore benefit is what interests me most.

11. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

Its back though havn't you seen the TV adverts from the purple shirt guys? Ding ding ding ding! You know Intel must be feeling rattled once that jingle starts playing at the start of ads again.

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

He also picked out all the high res benchmarks where the 850 was miles ahead, ignored the ones where the nVidia card did OK or was faster and at the more normal resolutions people were using the cards for it was a different story. Not to say the 850 doesn't put in a good showing there but he is again cherry picking from the actual data.

13. DarrenM343

Mobster

Nope, I don't watch terrestrial telly anymore Will have to see if it's on youtube :).

14. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Back then, 1600x1200 was a very used resolution. This highest possible settings just show what the cards are really capable of. 1024x768 might have been CPU-limited, driver-overhead-limited or simply, as always, the Radeons don't bother to show their true performance there. Also, there is anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering where the nvidia cards look extremely badly.

15. scotty63

Associate

Nothing wrong with my Vega56 mate or the RX470 i had before it.

16. Jacky60

Gangster

17. 4K8KW10

Soldato

I don't like the Vega 56 or Vega 64 because they are supposed to be faster than GTX 1080 Ti but actually they are lagging quite a bit behind.

18. Hades

Capodecina

I've just been researching the V56 for my son and updated reviews for 2019 put it just behind a stock 1080 in most games and equalling it in some.

19. Pottsey

Mobster

It always amazes me how many people blindly accept the first quote. I always every year ring up and say the quote is to expensive and every year they have gone. "how about we ask you for less money then" and I get a cheaper price. Everything from Virgin to insurance.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  20. ben90

Wise Guy

So strange to see one half of the market doing very well, bringing out new products and a potential price war about to take place, and then on the other side to the graphics market we see a complete mess filled with overpriced products and minimal performance increases.