• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Xe GPU Speculation

Soldato
Given almost no mention of this on here I thought I'd make a thread for a bit speculation. I've just watched this video:

Now I'm sure there are plenty on here that don't like the channel but take it for what it is. It sounds like it could be Q1 22 and in decent volume priced to compete. All seems common sense being a new player and could be guessed at. That said anyone else considering Intel for a GPU if they're competitive?

Given their production capacity and track record of well validated hardware it could be a real boost to competition in the GPU market. That's coming from someone that's no fan of Intel's previous business practices.

If you find any other information on these cards please post it here.

Thanks, I can see what I missed those, not really specific to the desktop GPU. No interest in integrated graphics and the other is generic speculation about an alternative to Nvidia and AND. I'd like to concentrate the info on DG2 specifically. Do you have any sources?

Unfortunately I don't think intel are really there yet. They are being sensible and approaching this in steps. From what I hear now the performance is not expected to be anything like the 3070/3080, rather is aimed more at the low end.
NVIDIA should be seriously worried though. Intel is a very serious company and within a few years could offer some serious competition.

The big threat from Intel is that they have their own fabs, right? The rest are left clamouring for time with TSMC or Samsung, while Intel can just allocate their own fab capacity as they need to fit demand. I know these first products are destined for TSMC but surely that's a huge advantage for them going forward in this supply:demand nightmare. Maybe the end of the current mining boom will blunt this somewhat.

Unfortunately I don't think intel are really there yet. They are being sensible and approaching this in steps. From what I hear now the performance is not expected to be anything like the 3070/3080, rather is aimed more at the low end.
NVIDIA should be seriously worried though. Intel is a very serious company and within a few years could offer some serious competition.

At least going by the video top end could be 3070Ti territory. Good enough for me, no change for the high end boys but the masses could definitely profit from a third player in the GPU market. I'll take well priced midrange over £1000 high end. As the year progresses I expect we'll get a clearer idea on how far they've come.

The big threat from Intel is that they have their own fabs, right? The rest are left clamouring for time with TSMC or Samsung, while Intel can just allocate their own fab capacity as they need to fit demand. I know these first products are destined for TSMC but surely that's a huge advantage for them going forward in this supply:demand nightmare. Maybe the end of the current mining boom will blunt this somewhat.

I think this is underrated, capacity is a big issue and Intel have much more control of the whole process. I'm expecting them to capitalise on it, they could do with some good PR too after 14nm++++++++!

At least going by the video top end could be 3070Ti territory. Good enough for me, no change for the high end boys but the masses could definitely profit from a third player in the GPU market. I'll take well priced midrange over £1000 high end. As the year progresses I expect we'll get a clearer idea on how far they've come.

Well, certainly if they are that good then I will consider one. I am a huge NVIDIA fan but I have to say that I am really frustrated by the way they have been behaving over the past four or five years. NVIDIA seem to be completely out of touch with gamers now and way too big for their boots. Although no one could have foreseen the mess we are in this year, I really do think that NVIDIA could have done a lot better than they have done. The entire market has melted down and I am afraid some of the blame must lie at NVIDIA's feet.

I think 3070ti like performance, 16GB vram at 3070 price would tempt many people. It might work out as a blessing for those currently unable to get a gpu at a reasonable price if they have to carry on waiting

Thanks, I can see what I missed those, not really specific to the desktop GPU. No interest in integrated graphics and the other is generic speculation about an alternative to Nvidia and AND. I'd like to concentrate the info on DG2 specifically. Do you have any sources?

The desktop GPU has been discussed a in other threads hardly no mention. It was triggered by a news article off one of those "reliable" news webites and it was compared to a 3070.

The big issue is drivers as Intel are not known for their GPU drivers and they probably have not experienced the level of game issues (for instance) AMD and Nvidia have to go through.

I think 3070ti like performance, 16GB vram at 3070 price would tempt many people. It might work out as a blessing for those currently unable to get a gpu at a reasonable price if they have to carry on waiting

Yes I find it hilarious that we might be waiting for Intel to rescue us with affordable tech! As for their pedigree, I think Raja may be underestimated. He has been guilty of putting the cart before the horse but is well aware of what is required to be successful in the GPU market. I'm quietly confident they'll make a decent job of it and I'm quite an AMD fan.

I know most enthusiast forums like OcUK want to see competition at the high end, but budget gamers get nothing these days it seems. Maybe price points have shifted irrevocably, but £200ish used to go a long way if you were starting out with PC gaming/playing on 1080P etc. If Intel had something tasty in that bracket they could clean up.

Definitely. Think I read recently that about 360 dollars is a middle ground price for a gpu, we don't have any new gen selling near that price at the moment

Back
Top Bottom