• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intels XE 2020 desktop GPU hardware preview

Permabanned
I was looking at this the other day, and apparently it's aimed firmly at the most popular end of the market, so we are looking at a 3070 equivalent. My jaw fell open. I had no idea intel were aiming so high on their first release. I have plans to wait until the end of the year to buy a card, by which time the intel should be around, so I am getting more than a little interested to see the specs on this card.

Associate
This is comical, does anybody really think tsmc will build extra capacity for intel? :cry:
Well, TSMC are not stupid and know Intel won't be a long-term partner.
However, against that they probably will build more fabs in the US (and the EU) for a number of reasons:
  1. To guard against protectionism in case another Trump comes to power.
  2. In the case of the US, to gain access to lucrative defence contracts.
  3. To diversify their risk to Taiwan in case PRC decides to do more than sabre rattling.
  4. And Taiwan is quite resource constraint as witnessed by the recent water shortages. That probalby rules out Texas and Nevada too
But build capacity just for Intel? Doubtful.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
people talking about building more fab space for intel. its a moot point as it will take a couple of years to build it and get it up and running. but tsmc is building more fab space anyways to sell to whoever they want to.

they cant just build a warehouse and poof new fab. its a tad more complicated than that.

Associate
It's exciting to have a third entrant in the GPU space. A bit concerning that they're using TSMC since it won't alleviate any of the chip bottlenecking but hopefully in the future Intel get their act together and can manufacture the chips at their own facilities.

In the end we the consumers win. Even if Intel can't be the fastest they can certainly compete somewhere in the stack be it the low or midrange and that'll introduce some price competition, hopefully.

Associate
How many GPUs per wafer? If we assume 100 good ones per wafer that's 18 million GPUs; at 1000 per wafer that's 180 million.
Well, a 1000 is unlikely as that would imply a due size of around 55mm² which won't reach 3070 performance.
Navi 21 is around 520mm² on TSMC's 7nm (yielding about 62 good dies per wafer), while Navi 22 is around 335mm². So in terms of TSMC due sizes (completely ignoring Nvidia's stuff as it's on Samsung's 8nm), we could guess somewhere between those.
TSMC's 6nm is somewhat denser, so let's say 450mm² to reach 3070 performance.
That would be closer to 100 good dies per wafer.

Back
Top Bottom