Intermittent Fasting

Associate
Anyone do this? I was recommended by a friend who previously weighed up to 15 stone, for his build he was overweight but now he's dropped 4 stone over a healthy period of time. He's recommended a few of us to try it and so far not being totally strict to it I've lost half a stone.

I am however looking to get back into weights, not wanting to kill myself I'm wondering if anyone else does the fasting but also does weights? I'm pretty much stuck to a desk all day and don't get an opportunity to exercise at work, since doing this I pretty much stop eating at 8pm and don't start eating again until 12pm. I will drink a couple of coffees and intake abit of water to stave off hunger, I've been eating better recently and have noticed the drop in weight through that.

Soldato
Not the right place for this sort of post, drop this in to the Gym Rats thread in the main sports arena sub forum rather then the training logs section.

Soldato
Can be moved I guess but if you want to lose weight fasting might work for some, not for other.

Just a sensible diet and gym work does the trick. Count your cals using a tracker, burn more than you eat and you loose weight. Doesn't need to be complicated.

I just done a 6 week clean eating (around 2000/2200 cals) a day, still trained hard 4/5 days a week, no drop in my training (crossfit) - lost 7lbs and about 3% BF. Did nothing more than eat 3 meals a day, 2 or 3 "snacks" (shakes/peanut butter/nuts etc). No fasting, no worrying about when to eat carbs or not. Pretty easy really, nothing too hard.

Soldato
Anyone do this? I was recommended by a friend who previously weighed up to 15 stone, for his build he was overweight but now he's dropped 4 stone over a healthy period of time. He's recommended a few of us to try it and so far not being totally strict to it I've lost half a stone.

I am however looking to get back into weights, not wanting to kill myself I'm wondering if anyone else does the fasting but also does weights? I'm pretty much stuck to a desk all day and don't get an opportunity to exercise at work, since doing this I pretty much stop eating at 8pm and don't start eating again until 12pm. I will drink a couple of coffees and intake abit of water to stave off hunger, I've been eating better recently and have noticed the drop in weight through that.

There's nothing magical about I.F - the 16/8 type protocol is essentially just 'skip breakfast' and the enforced eating widow reduces snacking opportunities - but there's nothing detrimental about it either. The best diet for you is the one you can adhere to, so if I.F works for you, great.

Plenty of people do this and weight train - the 16/8 protocol was created by Martin Berkhan (look him up, he lifts) - although
a) for best performance/results you'd want to train between meals because most people perform better with food in them, and you'd definitely want to eat afterwards
b) whilst some people train 'fasted' in the morning before their first meal - the old advice was to consume BCAAs prior to morning training, but BCAAs contain calories so it's not fasted, recent research comparing BCAAs vs whey has shown for this type of thing there's more benefit from consuming an actual protein shake - in reality they're consuming some form of protein pre-workout, so you just shorten your fasting window (which has no effect on results because those come down to overall energy balance) and have a shake.

I don't have as strict an eating window but don't tend to eat till late morning/early afternoon and train late afternoon or evenings.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback.

My window of training is essentially the evenings due to work and family commitments. I've found IF fits and is usually manageable in that I don't get hungry in these periods, I trained legs last night and must admit coming towards the end of the session I was feeling "burnt out".. I still managed to achieve what I wanted but I cannot get to the gym until half 7 - 8. Some advice needed, whilst I aim to finish eating at 8 I'm thinking of taking a protein shake post workout (so roughly around half 8)... I'm always told to eat after training but it's not possible for me, would the protein shake work as an alternative post workout?

Soldato
I have tried a few different intermittent fasting protocols - 4/3, 5/2 and currently the 16/8 Leangains style that @Somnambulist is referring to.

I found the 5/2 (i.e. 2 "fasting," sub-500Kcal days, every week and normal eating on other days) and (even more so) the 4/3 made me lose fat very rapidly a few years back, but I'm liking the Leangains 16/8 a lot better for leaning out whilst getting my newbie lifting gains now I'm working out again.

My reading on this tallies with @Somnambulist's point above - the jury is out as to how much of the weight-loss is down to the 16-hour fasting period itself and how much down to calorie control (and having an eight-hour eating window basically just meaning you eat less...).

Even with fasting hours, you still have to be careful of calories - ideally you'll want to watch your macros pretty carefully too.

My own diet is based on training every other day, and eating at maintenance calories or just under on training days and about 600Kcal under maintenance on rest days. For me this is 2000Kcal one day, 1400Kcal the next. BUT I also make sure to get at least 160g of protein every day to help to spare muscle while I lose fat. I think this is quite important since you don't want to lose muscle whilst dieting.

As @booyaka says, too, though - if you eat a bit below maintenance calories and eat clean you'll lose weight regardless.

Personally, I've found my best results for rapid weight loss were with the 4/3 diet, though it did get pretty demanding and gruelling pretty fast and I'm sure I burned off a fair bit of muscle doing that so I'm in no rush to go down that route again. I've been exceptionally pleased with my results since doing this 16/8 diet for seven weeks now - but as I say, I am sceptical as to how much this is down to any fat-burning associated with the fasting period itself.

If you want to lose fat, preserve muscle and increase strength, I think the main consensus is that it can help to be zig-zagging calories (i.e. eat at or near maintenance every so often, and about 400-600Kcal below on other days) and you want to be keeping protein intake consistently high (around 1g per lb of bodyweight is recommended). Also make sure you're still getting enough healthy fats and plenty of water. You can add a fasting period on top of that, but I think those are the key foundations.

I personally like to use 10g BCAAs and 5g HMB (and a large, strong coffee...) 20 minutes or so prior to my fasted 6am workouts. I'm not convinced there's anything magical about this and it might even be completely pointless, but it does help me feel I'm getting fuel to my muscles with minimal calories at a time when I really don't want to have my first meal, and then I can pick up my usual workout-day diet post-workout without having to re-calculate my calorie or macro goals.

EDIT: re your last question about post-workout evening shakes... as has been said, it's not worth stressing about keeping to a strict 8-hour eating window so long as your overall calories and macros are in line. I recall reading a number of recommendations to get some quality protein in you after a workout and some people argue for including some carbs to replenish glycogen as well I think. A protein shake should be okay. Cottage cheese is another staple evening protein source as (IIRC) it's primarily comprised of a slower-digesting protein - and it's easily snackable straight out the pot too if you want and it also mixes well with fruit. Just take off the 150-200Kcals or so in whatever you have from your food intake earlier in the day.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's purely weight loss - eat less, exercise more. Simple. Nothing more complicated than that.

No supplements needed, no diet, no fancy tracking of macros etc (carbs v protein v fats) - KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

The simpler it is - the easier it is to stick with.

Last 6 weeks for me - same breakfast, same mid morning snack, same lunch every day. Don't need to think about it.

Soldato
I'd agree with that to some extent if someone's goal was just to lose weight. I've done that in the past.

If your goals are to lose fat, spare or increase muscle mass and try to increase strength at the same time, it pays to be more attentive.

There is a continuum, though.

Whilst "just eat fewer calories and expend more" is one end of the spectrum, and the other end might be something like: having a precise macro breakdown for every meal, having exact meal timings, weighing every portion and every recipe ingredient and calculating nutrient constitutions, making precise nutrient portions in advance, and so on.

There's a lot of room in the middle. A more attainable/sustainable middle-ground, for instance, might be "stick to xxxx calories per day, and focus on getting high-protein foods at each meal - tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey, eggs, pulses, nuts, soy, tofu, etc., etc." Whey protein is a very useful supplement just for upping your protein intake. It's really inexpensive too.

For anyone with any ambitions to getting/staying lean and increasing muscle mass and strength, just eating fewer calories than you expend is sub-optimal to say the least.

Since this is in the training logs section and the OP has mentioned lifting weights (and voicing concern with post-workout nutrition), I'd imagine his goals are more in line with the latter. I guess how much detail he wants will depend on exactly what his goals are, though.

Back
Top Bottom