Internet\Gaming Cafe - Would you use it?

Soldato
Me and a friend have been thinking about setting up an Internet Cafe \ Gaming Cafe, It would have a few PC's for Surfing\Email - Then Another say 10 PC's for LAN\Internet Gaming, and maybe some Xbox360's \ PS3's for console gaming. And of course a coffee\cake area.

Local gaming tournaments could be held there and stuff.

Its just an idea at the moment, we were wondering if it would be popular though, if this was set up in your local town centre, Could you see yourself using it?

One of my thoughts are that people who game, already have decent setups with a decent net connection in there own house, so why would they bother going to a cafe.

Soldato
Inoshishi said:
One of my thoughts are that people who game, already have decent setups with a decent net connection in there own house, so why would they bother going to a cafe.
I think youve answered your own question, I would never use one.

Soldato
Inoshishi said:
if this was set up in your local town centre, Could you see yourself using it?
Nope, because...
Inoshishi said:
people who game, already have decent setups with a decent net connection in there own house, so why would they bother going to a cafe.
:(

I think you'd have to bring PC Gaming into a new light to get popular... Somehow make it a more communal thing - make people want to get out of their house to do it... somehow.

Soldato
I remember seeing a thread exactly like this not long back. I think my reply was somewhere along the lines of no, it wouldn't work.

I suppose it can be made to be successful if there's an alternative attraction rather than just internet/gaming, but I can't see much profit being made with connections as they are these days. They cost a lot of money to get up and running too.

Associate
I agree with Roboffer's answer - wouldn't use one personally.

They seemed to be all the rage a few years back, but what with broadband being so widely available, I don't think they are a particularly viable proposition any more.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Inoshishi said:

No matter what kit you have at home there is nothing that compares to Pwning someone who is in the same room as you.
Half a dozen mates shouting/laughing/sniping Great fun.
As long as the kit was half decent & i could take my own Keyboard & mouse i would happily use it.
Your market would probably be young'uns though who can't afford there own system yet.
Go for it i say & Good Luck with it.

Associate
The profits associated with businesses like this are very slim, unless you manage to hit it big. The problem is that the chains end up dominating the market.

The start-up costs would also be huge.

Soldato
There was one run by a mate of mine in 'the wirral'. he had a room with about 20 pc's, ran frag games and gave free tea and coffee, had a lounge area to relax in and had little prizes for *** competions. Its all about advertising, word of mouth and what games you have on the menu.

Also, and im not sure how you would go about this, having internet based games, ie, WOW, L2, LoTR's ect, you would have to have a secure PC system to stop people installing key loggers ect.

What my mate did was a bit long winded but got him respect, he had an image of each PC with the software on it. When you log off he put the image back on, removing any unwanted data being left on the PC. Long winded, took about 20mins, but people liked the idea.

Good luck with it. One other thing, he made more money out of upgrading PC's and fixing them than he ever did out of the gaming side, btu he got a lot of walk in's from it too...

Colin

Man of Honour
No, however if you decked it out for lan tournaments it might work, with a cafe out the front.

The back (lan area) could be hired out. You could also try and get a regular monthly lan tournament going.

Then sell paninins and stuff in the cafe and to the lan players. Wifi in the cafe and maybe a 2/4 computers with free internet access 20min login or something, to attract people.

Soldato
OP
Well i've probably got enough money to get it off the ground, but my initial thoughts seemed right, gamers just wouldn't bother , I know I wouldn't myself, I have everything in the house.

Plus the money would probably be better spent on a house deposit :p

Soldato
gamers will bother if you start proper tournaments with proper teams going, ie CS 1.6 or CS:Source.
There are a good few competitions going on up and down the country every year, and obviously abroad. The best ones in the Uk will have decent prizes for first place, ie a grand and some headsets/mousemats etc

If you did it properly with enough room for atleast 4x5person teams to play at once, you could have 2 day tournaments with entry fee, which mostly pays for the prizes, sponsors arent that hard to come by these days for gaming events, and things like food/drink always helps :)

Soldato
Theres been countless ones set up in Nottingham, and I've only seen one last more than a year, and thats mainly because its sat right next to the main cinema in the city centre. All the others have been in out of the way places, which I think has to be why they've failed.

I've never liked net cafes/gaming cafes. They're always expensive, run by obnoxious geeks (in my experience), and the hardware never matches close to what I have.

Soldato
Only time I've used an Internet Cafe was abroad.

They're popular with foreign students, so if I was going to setup a business like that I would target an area with lots of foreign students, but without a good campus.

Back
Top Bottom