Internet\Gaming Cafe - Would you use it?

Soldato
malc30 said:
No matter what kit you have at home there is nothing that compares to Pwning someone who is in the same room as you.
Half a dozen mates shouting/laughing/sniping Great fun.

As long as the kit was half decent & i could take my own Keyboard & mouse i would happily use it.
Your market would probably be young'uns though who can't afford there own system yet.
Go for it i say & Good Luck with it.
I'd go just for the very reason listed above.

Even though my rig is pretty lethal, you just can't compete with going down with your mates for a frag :cool:

Soldato
There used to be one in Oxford by the Bus Station I used to use whilst I was waiting for buses in different directions when going and coming back from seeing my ex (waiting at a bus station for over and hour for the connecting bus is no fun). Was something like a quid for 20 minutes use, and as I remember used to often have at least a few people in, and sold cafe style food and drink bits.
Cant remember what it was called for the life of me, broke up with that ex about 2-2 1/2 years ago, so I havent been there in a long time to see if its still running.

I guess from that it shows location is an important thing - pick a place to locate where people will be bored/having to wait around (but has good security provision), and dont charge too much, and you pretty much have a market, how big it'd be though I can't say.

i tried reading all the posts but it got very boring, however i did read most and didn't notice this mentioned.

another reason people wont use it is because of the time when most people will go play. I mean like for me and i would have thought a lot of other people, when i play a game i play it late night, sometimes real late into the night, which obviously wouldn't work at a cafe as you'd either be closed, or even if you were open, the fact i'd then have to get home and whatever once i have finished playing would compltelty outway any benefit that going to the cafe has.

i can't see how you'd get any customers either until atleast after school, so thats atleast 3/4pm until first customer, which wont be many as there isn't many kids in the schools that this would appeal to. Then maybe some sutdents/young adults might come after work, but if say they finish at 6, get hmoe, have food or eat at the cafe, then thats roughly 7 unil they come, and who wants to do that when they could just sit at home and do it? thinking about it i can't actually see who your customers would be

shame as the idea sounds so great, but it just wouldn't work if your trying to make a profit from it. the only way i can see it working is if you got a rich bugger that wants to have fun with a load of people gaming online so sets up a none profit gaming cafe for people to go to and really puts a lot of money into making a GAMING cafe, and not just some cheapo place tha has pc's etc.

Last edited:
Associate
In my home town there used to be 2 large internet/gaming café's and they were very popular. They would always be full and I admint I used to go down there all the time too. It turned in to a central spot where everyone would go and justb e social. Playing games such as CS on lan with the people right there in the room is so much more fun than over the net with random people.

Unfortunately the original one had to close as a new and larger one opened up with highly competitive prices. But that one still exists and as far as I know it's still very popular.

They have events such as tournaments and all-nighters, where they clear spaces for people to bring their own PC's along.

Their website is:
http://www.impactgaming.co.uk

The website states that it's "The largest Gaming & Internet Centre in the UK with 94 PC's" but they have opened another area now with another 20ish PC's.

Soldato
Run classes on educating people on the uses and downfalls of the internet (avoiding spyware, trojans, phishing) plus how to keep a system clean, organised etc. maybe open it up to local businesses eventually who want a relatively low cost way of maybe bringing some of their staff up to a decent level of computer/internet knowledge.

Then run gaming weekens, and have a wi-fi section and drop in section for people wanting to print, or check emails etc.

Associate
Raikiri said:
That's the one I go to every two months for the all nighters Hessian! :D

There's one coming up at the end of the month. Did you ever go to Netplay, that's the one that is now closed in eastbourne. Is there not any good ones in Brighton?

Associate
Raikiri said:
None that I know of in Brighton, only started going to IG about a year ago. My mate Adam (maybe you know him?) introduced me.

Possibly know his face, used to go to Netplay all the time but hardly ever been to IG, been about 3 times this year :p But hoping to have my new build by the 27th so might go along to try it out in a LAN situation.

Soldato
I'd only go if there were events\comps there, decent atmosphere, regulars etc, it wasn't full of complete geeks and it had a few nice ladies working there....Hmm there's always the pub...

Back
Top Bottom