Interview problems

Soldato
Be careful with closing. If you've never had a sales job or a similar background which requires subtle persuasion, it's easy to ham this up badly. Never underestimate the power of nerves to make one sound ridiculous! If the interviewer is just your average human being, then this may play to your hand, now and gain, but if they are either a high performer or a shambolic loser, then awkward closing will remind them of either your or their failings, costing you the entire thing.

As above, practice in interviews that you don't give much of a damn about - free acting lessons that they are.

Associate
More than ever in my 32 years of work, businesses and business people seem to want to homogenise each and every aspect of doing the job. LinkedIn has come littered with soundbites and "5 tips for X" type posts but experience has shown me one thing. People are all different, we do things differently, we look for different things in people, we make decisions on different factors so trying to come up with a one size fits all is impossible. It doesn't mean there are fundamentals you should consider to put you in the right place, but when it comes to impressing people that can often be very different.

When I interview people I look at a broad range of things some of which I will summarise here. This is not an exhaustive list and of course I will elevate and demote some of these based on the role:

Before Meeting (Some of these become apparent on meeting)
  • Have they communicated well?
  • Have they understood the interview format and process to recruit?
  • Have they asked who will be interviewing them and what they will be looking for form the first meeting?
  • Have they asked questions to help them understand my business and to form their questions for the interview?
  • Have they asked people within their network about the company, people, products, customers, roles, careers and progression?
On first meeting
  • Is the person on time and ready at the agreed time?
  • Are they presentable, clean and well groomed?
  • Do they make eye contact and smile on first meeting?
  • Do they build a rapport with others whilst waiting?
  • How do they walk into a room and what do they talk about?
  • Are they carrying 15 bags/items and a Costa?
  • Do they look at ease in their body?
Fundamentals During Interview
  • How well do they listen, answer and question?
  • Are those answers/questions well thought out and relevant?
  • Do they demonstrate they have researched me, the company, others in the room?
  • Do I think they will work well with others and add value to my team/teams?
  • Do they understand their weaknesses and what they need to do better?
  • Can they evidence of doing something innovative, different or clever that makes them stand out?
  • Can they tell me what they have learnt from failing?
  • Does their history suggest ambition, growth, success and bringing value?
  • Are they happy and what makes them happy?
  • What frustrates them, annoys them, causes them to sleep badly?
  • What success means to them and what they career ambitions are?
  • What do they feel they bring to the company?
  • Do I like them, do I think others will like them?
  • Would I want to manage them or have them managed on my behalf?
  • Why should I offer them the job?
  • Have I enjoyed the interview?
Closing
  • There is no reason for leaving any interview without asking how it went?
  • There is no reason for not asking "will you be moving to the next stage with me"?
  • There is nothing wrong with asking "Is there anything you have heard today that would prevent me working for your company"?
  • There is no reason, in the correct setting, for asking "can I have this job please"
So many people interview well, stand up and walk out without closing the interviewer or interviewers. You have given your time up to come meet with a potential new employer. Yes they have given you their valuable time, but you have also have gone out of your way to be there, prepare and research. You have earned the right to asked questions before, during and after yet so few people do.

My advice is OP is listen less to the agency, who tend to make up stuff on the sport. If you are nervous then you are like most people in an interview and you should be. Try some breathing exercises, prepare and know you have prepared and go into the meeting with a clear view of the above would be my advice. As I have said I have a way, others will do things differently but 80/20 rules tend to apply here. All of the stuff above is relevant and will be the same for most. It will be nuanced and may miss bits others would specifically look for but I find if you prepare well then the interview itself will go much better.

sound advice

Soldato
I don't like the above advice with regard to the closing section. Putting pressure back on an interviewER like that will not do you any favours. They call the shots. Yes, ask questions, but trying to force closure and gain instant feedback after the interview from the very people that have just interviewed you? No. You wait for feedback from the agent after they have discussed internally. The majority of interviews end in an open manner and this is totally normal.

To the OP, maybe the feedback you have got - since you say you are so surprised by it - is in fact not true. By this I mean, many places don't have the time or motivation to give good feedback. Often they will use easy and somewhat generic feedback which can often be said about anyone in an interview. i.e. "You were nervous". I would not read into it too much. You may have just been unlucky.

Back
Top Bottom