Investing in shares for short term gains?

Caporegime
Does anyone do this and if so, what platforms do you use? I've heard trading212 advertised but I've read that they are not a good choice as you're not really buying shares?

I assume tax would be due on any profits made?

Caporegime
why is the trading 212 site in Chinese? Or is it just some issue I'm having with my browser?

From what I've read they are offering some deal to allow you to buy shares commission free, though you're still going to be paying stamp duty...

As the other poster mentioned, what do you mean by short term?

The issue with UK shares is that you have to pay stamp duty, the way around this is to make use of CFDs, however most CFD providers are just bucket shops offering their own two way quote/their own parallel market. I believe interactive brokers and IG Markets are the only ones offering you real quotes/essentially access to the exchange order book and interactive brokers is by far the better value. (there might be more providers now).

Soldato
Day trading is not sometbing you should be getting in to u less you live and breath the market, world economy and the lines of business you are investing in.

I don't really know him well... But I know a developer turned day trader who was very smart.

Makes more money than you could dream of. His bad days he loses 100s of k.

Caporegime
The house always wins.

That doesn't stop you from winning in this case, the house is just facilitating your trades, just as they do in a poker game... your winnings come from the other players... (or indeed your losses go to the other players, the house just collects their commission or rake in the case of poker)

Soldato
With all due respect Pike, if you don't know how to trade you certainly shouldn't be looking to trade short term. Prices go down as well as up. The stock market is not something a novice should be stepping into for trading any shorter term than a year. A properly diversified portfolio is thought of as at least 20 companies.

If you want a lower risk with steady gains in the long term, look at diversified funds such as Vanguard or index funds.

The only reliable short term gains that are safe as things like bank account switching bonuses, finding lower household bills for the same product, etc.

Caporegime
OP
With all due respect Pike, if you don't know how to trade you certainly shouldn't be looking to trade short term. Prices go down as well as up. The stock market is not something a novice should be stepping into for trading any shorter term than a year. A properly diversified portfolio is thought of as at least 20 companies.

If you want a lower risk with steady gains in the long term, look at diversified funds such as Vanguard or index funds.

The only reliable short term gains that are safe as things like bank account switching bonuses, finding lower household bills for the same product, etc.
Ok thanks for the frank reply :)

alx

alx

Soldato
why is the trading 212 site in Chinese? Or is it just some issue I'm having with my browser?

From what I've read they are offering some deal to allow you to buy shares commission free, though you're still going to be paying stamp duty...

As the other poster mentioned, what do you mean by short term?

The issue with UK shares is that you have to pay stamp duty, the way around this is to make use of CFDs, however most CFD providers are just bucket shops offering their own two way quote/their own parallel market. I believe interactive brokers and IG Markets are the only ones offering you real quotes/essentially access to the exchange order book and interactive brokers is by far the better value. (there might be more providers now).

You can also use a Stocks and Shares ISA (which companies like IG Markets and Interactive Investor allow you to setup) to share trade tax free, up to the ISA limit.

Caporegime
You can also use a Stocks and Shares ISA (which companies like IG Markets and Interactive Investor allow you to setup) to share trade tax free, up to the ISA limit.

Nope an ISA wouldn't shield you from stamp duty, that is the one tax you still have to pay in an ISA.

Soldato
Ok thanks for the frank reply :)

No worries. I say it from experience of losing a decent chunk of savings while at Uni, and that was on "safe" shares at the time such as M&S, various banks, etc. I'm a lot more clued up now and stick to the index funds.

Everyone always hears about that friend who made a killing when one share went up 30%. No one ever mentions the losses.

Caporegime

I would actually go further and say at least 10 years. Unless you are happy with making a loss, then the investment time ideally needs to cover at least 1 bull and 1 bear market. You don;t want to liquidate your assets in the middle of a rescission.
And the bets place to start is with a pension fund so you can save the 40% IT and already be ahead of the game a little.

Associate
Perhaps your bank has a platform. I believe Halifax do that pretty easy to get started in. Otherwise, I have good experience with Fidelity's platform, but that may suit longer term investing.

Back
Top Bottom