iOS4 - iPhone 3G

Associate
Hi all. Like many, I updated to iOS4 on Monday. I have an iPhone 3G and prior to iOS4 I never really had anything to complain about. Love the device, it does the key things I need it to do very well. Never felt the need to get a 3GS and haven't been interested in a iPhone 4 because the 3G has always done what I needed it to do.

After updating iOS4 however, the device has become very frustrating to use. There is a definite slowdown in key areas. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems? Using SMS, Mail and Calendar is a lot choppier and the device on a whole seems slower, but I can't understand why. As a 3G user I didn't get things like Multitasking and background which I would expect to slow the device down. From what I can tell there hasn't even been a major addition that would slow the device down.

I send a lot of SMS's and emails from the device and at times it's almost unusable, slow to open and pull up messages, slow to type and the keyboard will miss strokes and freeze occasionally.

Anyone else with a 3G/iOS4 having similar problems? I'm very frustrated with Apple. They clearly don't care about older devices.

Associate
OP
I just did a hard reboot (Hold Sleep+Home) and it seems to have helped a little, could be my imagination though. I'm hoping Apple will release some kind of hotfix or a solution is found because I'm really not willing to purchase a new phone, especially since it worked absolutely fine prior to the update. Spellchecking, folders and a new mail client should not slow the whole device down.

Soldato
ive noticed that my 3G just feels quite a bit snappier at scrolling in the menu and loading/closing apps. I have noticed that it seems a bit slower when opening my sms or email inboxes though.

Another annoyance is the lack of orientation lock on the 3G with iOS4 :( I was quite looking forward to that as there's nothing more annoying than lying in bed on the net and having the screen constantly rotating!

Soldato
It's become unusable for me. It was laggy as hell after the 3.0 update, but this takes the biscuit.
When a phone can no longer phone or text people without freezing or long delays then it's time to upgrade. My old Sony T610 could text and phone without a problem.
When I get a call on my iPhone, it takes 5 seconds (think about it, that's actually a long time) to show who's calling, that's if it doesn't bounce the call as it tries to cope with handling it.

Associate
It's become unusable for me. It was laggy as hell after the 3.0 update, but this takes the biscuit.
When a phone can no longer phone or text people without freezing or long delays then it's time to upgrade. My old Sony T610 could text and phone without a problem.
When I get a call on my iPhone, it takes 5 seconds (think about it, that's actually a long time) to show who's calling, that's if it doesn't bounce the call as it tries to cope with handling it.

I've had this, albeit I had enabled multitasking but it was still laggy on stock firmware. I get so few calls though as I do everything but phone on this thing. :(

Soldato
yep, its crap. Typing is the worst thing about it. The keyboard just doesn't respond fast enough. Going to be attempting to downgrade to v3 again given that there is no chance of getting an iPhone4 (I have seen the queues).

Soldato
yep, its crap. Typing is the worst thing about it. The keyboard just doesn't respond fast enough. Going to be attempting to downgrade to v3 again given that there is no chance of getting an iPhone4 (I have seen the queues).

This is the same for me.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Don't even bother with iBooks on a 3G.

I have 5 PDFs of magazines that won't scroll without 5 second delays, so I thought I'd try a proper eBook, Winnie-the-Pooh, and that was equally as frustrating.

The animation to launch the books is so slow, it jumps directly to a page without warning. Completely and utterly a fail imho.

Another slow 3G here, wish I'd never bothered for the sake of folders and a email conversation threads.

SMS takes 10+ seconds to open the Inbox, Safari frequently locks up loading a page, opening settings takes about 5 seconds. In short this was a lazy OS release written for the newer and faster hardware on the 3GS and the 4G where they could get away with sloppy code. It's no surprise that this isn't available on the 2G.

I read into the downgrade but I think Apple have implemented some kind of encryption keys similar to SHSH that are generated as you upgrade to iOS4 that tells iTunes not to downgrade. If you Google about there's a way using iRecovery and LibUSB to downgrade a iOS4 ruined 3G.

I've actually put in a warranty claim under AppleCare for my 3G as the battery sucks serious amount of crApple, moreso under 4G so praying that one comes with 3.1.3 on it to save me the hassle of potentially making a paperweight...

Soldato
Hi all. Like many, I updated to iOS4 on Monday. I have an iPhone 3G and prior to iOS4 I never really had anything to complain about. Love the device, it does the key things I need it to do very well. Never felt the need to get a 3GS and haven't been interested in a iPhone 4 because the 3G has always done what I needed it to do.

After updating iOS4 however, the device has become very frustrating to use. There is a definite slowdown in key areas. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems? Using SMS, Mail and Calendar is a lot choppier and the device on a whole seems slower, but I can't understand why. As a 3G user I didn't get things like Multitasking and background which I would expect to slow the device down. From what I can tell there hasn't even been a major addition that would slow the device down.

I send a lot of SMS's and emails from the device and at times it's almost unusable, slow to open and pull up messages, slow to type and the keyboard will miss strokes and freeze occasionally.

Anyone else with a 3G/iOS4 having similar problems? I'm very frustrated with Apple. They clearly don't care about older devices.

If I could I'd say the exact same thing, as my 3G is just as bad. I don't think they should have bothered releasing 4.0 for it (just like the 2G) as it clearly isn't up to it - that, or another Apple conspiracy theory to make us upgrade to the latest and greatest which tbh I wouldn't put it past them :p

They most likely developed iOS 4.0 on the iPhone 4, with maybe a little bit of testing on the 3GS and hence haven't optimized it at all for older hardware.

I was all set to gather a new one, but the antenna issue has put it on hold for the moment, and I really can't be bothered getting a 3GS either.

Associate
I've noticed streaming tv such as tvcatchup just lags the phone, sound is fine but the picture goes into slow-mo after so many mins. movies on the phone are fine though? bbc iplayer seems ok too, very odd.

Man of Honour
Well, mine is quicker and snapier if anything.

I thought I had a wifi connection problem. I swore at it a few times then did a hard reboot and all appears well.

Soldato
Problem is, even if you succesfully downgrade, you can say goodbye to getting anything from the App store. Mines not on the most recent version 3.x and I can't download anything from the App store anymore. Just tells me I need the most recent version, even if the app would run fine on the current one.

Caporegime
Mine seems to have magically sorted itself and is now actually quicker if anything.

Wierd - but Im not gonna complain!

Back
Top Bottom