iPad 3rd gen damaged

Soldato
Realistically what are the chances of it being fixed under Applecare? We took it out when I purchased it for the wifes birthday (05/04) and she's already managed to crack the screen. It wasn't dropped and only the screen itself it damaged.

Appointment made with the local Apple store on Tuesday, fingers crossed time?

3 days.. :(

Soldato
OP
dropped a plastic baby spoon on it apparently, annoyingly right at the top left corner. Smart cover wasn't over it at the time, which is partly why I was rather annoyed with her. Accidental damage so I'm guessing she'll just have to confess and hope they take pity on her or open her wallet.

Any idea if they need me to go? Was purchased under my Apple account, not hers.

Soldato
dropped a plastic baby spoon on it apparently, annoyingly right at the top left corner. Smart cover wasn't over it at the time, which is partly why I was rather annoyed with her. Accidental damage so I'm guessing she'll just have to confess and hope they take pity on her or open her wallet.

Any idea if they need me to go? Was purchased under my Apple account, not hers.

How can a plastic baby spoon cause so much damage?

Soldato
OP
Dropped from about 40cms, guessing it's mostly bad luck. I doubt it'd have caused any damage if it'd hit away from the edge but it's right at the edge of the glass where it meets the rear casing although there's no damage to the casing itself.

Soldato
A plastic spoon? I dropped my 4S onto my ipad when it was on the floor and it didnt mark it :confused:

sure nothing else has happened to it?

Associate
Something doesn't seem right there...

Dropped my HTC HD7 onto my ipad, keep in mind the HD7 is chunkier and heavier than a Iphone that Clov!s mentioned above, and not even a mark....

Soldato
It's true guys.

A plastic baby spoon, dropped by 40cm, has the force to crack toughened glass.
I dropped one on my leg a few years back, took it right off... Now I'm in a wheelchair claiming benefits :(

Apparently they're used to cut diamonds too.

Soldato
OP
The damage:
P1160742.JPG

P1160743.JPG

P1160744.JPG

P1160745.JPG

As you can see the screen was hit right on the very edge. I'm not taking a picture of the spoon, but trust me it's not a soft bendy rubber one, it's hard which would explain this. :p

Soldato
It's the nature of toughened or heat-treated glass I'm afraid, it's all to do with exactly how it gets 'struck'. You get it with toughened glass windows too, where you can whack it with a hammer and not a mark, but then you strike it lightly in a "certain way" and the whole pane goes.

Back
Top Bottom