Iran Reported to Security Council

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Iran may or may not intend to make nuclear weapons but it is nonsense to say they have no legitimate reason to want to create nuclear energy now.

I'm not aware that Iran has a thriving non-oil export industry.
If you say so. What I class as nonsence is allowing Iran to have nuclear capabilities when there's a good chance they'll use it for weapons.

Only oil and terrorists tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cartoon of my view of what were to happen at the request of Mr.Sprout.

cartoon.JPG

Edit: not sure it really makes sense in retrospect. :/

Last edited:
Soldato
William said:
Cartoon of my view of what were to happen at the request of Mr.Sprout.

Omg that has to be the funniest depiction of "The end of the world as we know it" I have ever seen.

I get the idea so it makes some sense.

Although I don't see any sea based launches so what would our mighty submarine based nuclear arsenal be doing?

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Not really a fair analogy because children have less rights than adults. Iran on the other hand is a sovereign nation with a legitimate government which has the right in international law to have nuclear power or weapons if it wants.

Imagine if the situation was reversed and Iran and its allies started dictating to us, what would we say? "Alright then, whatever you say sir"? No we'd be outraged.

Forget laws and remember common sense.

Permabanned
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I don't feel comfortable with any country having nukes, don't think I made that clear in my other post though
Fair enough, you only mentioned Iran. :) Personally I too would rather no-one had them as well. From a global perspective it's difficult to see situations where using a nuke would give a better result than not using one. Short term gains and long term losses is all I see.
William said:
It is odd that they specifically wish U235 for power generation when a fast breeder would do the job and use U238.
U238 is not fissile, U235 is. That's why it needs to be enriched. Weapons grade uranium is more highly enriched than fuel grade, that's all. A fast breeder works by some of the U238 capturing neutrons that are emitted when the U235 decays, turning it into U239 which then decays by beta emission and becomes Plutonium 239 . which can also be used as fuel and as a weapon. The bad news is that Plutonium is a lot more radioactive and a lot more toxic than Uranium. Just as an aside, Little Boy (Hiroshima) was a Uranium bomb and Fat Man (Nagasaki) was a Plutonium bomb.

AFAIK the only reason that Iran is suspected of having a nuclear weapon program is Dubyas say-so, and he's hardly the most trustworthy of people is he?

Soldato
Treefrog said:
Just as an aside, Little Boy (Hiroshima) was a Uranium bomb and Fat Man (Nagasaki) was a Plutonium bomb.
Meh, I thought they were both Uranium, but were U235 and U238. Nakasaki was indeed Plutonium 239 though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom